DVDVR Message Board

VHS Tapes: Did You Purge?

Blazer

Curious what the hell everyone did years ago when VHS became obsolete.  What did you do with your hundreds of old tapes?  Did you make the conversion and then dump gradually?  Are there Meltzer's here with Rubbermaid bins of '92 USWA out in the garage? 

Still have boxes of mine, in fact I've started going through them again since I recently found a VCR. I have a big box from my cousin who was a tape trader 15 years ago. Tons of garbage death match shit but some gems like both Dreamslam events, some Arsion, NJ, AJ, and random as fuck Japanese indy sleaze.

I still watch movies and other stuff I have on VHS regularly and will pick up stuff that never made it to DVD (lesser known 80s horror movies mainly) from time to time.  From late 09-late 11 or so I didn't really watch wrestling and during that time got rid of a bulk of my wrestling tapes.  Most of them were stuff I was no longer interested in (mostly indy stuff from 02-04 or so) but those that I kept I still watch as much as the stuff I have on DVD.

I basically kept mine and have sold some.  After moving a couple years ago, I took all my commercial masters and left my hand taped crap at the old house.  I'm currently attempting to sell my remaining commercial shit on ebay, if I can manage to get off my lazy ass and find time to takes pics of stuff and list them.

I am in the process of converting to DVD.  After moving twice in one year, I don't want to lug around the crates of them any longer.  I'm focusing on my large collection of MST3k stuff first.  I'm not sure what I'm going to do with this shit ton of wrestling.

I should probably throw mine out, the bulk of it is early XPW. I was really big into XPW when I was in high school. Anything deathmatch or "garbage" wrestling, really. Which resulted in ordering many a Japan hardcore comp VHS tapes from Highspots (they were cheaper). I still have those hour long WWF tapes from the late 90s that hype up the history of an event/wrestler, like the Survivor Series one and one about Undertaker, Foley, etc. I have one about Goldberg from WCW, too. I basically memorized all of those, scene for scene, as a kid.

I've still got 3 huge boxes full, probably close to 300 tapes.  I could probably get rid of 200 of them easily, since most of that stuff is easy to find online.  I do have some stuff that isn't so easily replaceable though.  I really need to minimize this stuff, since it's a pain in the ass whenever I have to up and move(which is distressingly often), but I always talk myself out of it.

Much like Ray - I pretty much converted everything I wanted to DVD.

Each time I have moved over the last 5 or 6 years, I would purge more and more.

I have one box left and that will be tossed when I move at the end of this lease. Basically the ones that survived so far are ones that either I need to convert (or confirm I already converted) or ones I am paranoid about throwing out. (Like my Best of Joe Malenko)

I still have boxes of them. I have slowly been converting some to DVD and tossing the VHS tapes but am deadset on collecting all of the Coliseum Home Videos now that they are so cheaply available via eBay and Craigslist. I bought Royal Rumble 1989 for $15, whereas it used to hover between $40 to $60 back in the day. Still having hell finding Survivor Series 89 for a decent price though.

OK, so I'll throw this here.

I'm going through the mystery box, which is basically all my unlabeled tapes.

Popped in the tape, it's got a Thunder on the end of it with Hardcore Hak wrapped in barbed wire fight Damian 666.

Gem from Bobby Heenan.  "Well, Damian's a luchador, he's starting to learn the American style... but I don't think he knows what to do with a guy wrapped in barbed wire."

• Like 1