DVDVR Message Board

UFC 202: Diaz vs. McGregor II (8/20/2016) - Las Vegas, NV (T-Mobile Arena)

Elsalvajeloco

Yeah, they're going to pocket the third fight and move on. That would be the smartest thing they can do. Give Nate some gimmes at 155 and go for McGregor-Aldo II.  Win or lose for Conor, you still have that fight. 

The UFC has to work out a deal with GSP. That might come sooner than later, but I think they might wanna see how McGregor recovers from possibly a broken foot. There is a PPV in Toronto. You don't have to put McGregor in there to get pop a good buyrate if GSP is there. 

Just now, TheVileOne said:

McGregor needs to defend his belt or relinquish it.  Those are his options.

As the biggest draw in the sport and the ball back in his court, I doubt those are his only options.

• Like 1

Just now, TheVileOne said:

These are the options Dana White set beforehand.

But they ain't the only options. We got two fights with Conor McGregor THIS YEAR against a guy who last year was a non factor in a DIFFERENT division for 11 of those 12 months. These fights didn't happen because they made sense. So no, those ain't the only options.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TheVileOne said:

We already have a nonsense interim title at featherweight and Max Holloway is 9-0 without a title shot.  

Yeah and Conor McGregor is by far the biggest draw until Ronda comes back. You want fighters to have leverage? Conor has a lot of leverage even after the debacle in April. That says a lot.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

We already have a nonsense interim title at featherweight and Max Holloway is 9-0 without a title shot.  

We also have Tyron Woodley expressing more interest in taking a catchweight money fight against Nick Diaz and calling out GSP instead of defending against Wonderboy.

For Woodley, it's either Wonderboy or GSP.  Nick is adamant that he only wants big fights, and he is a bit flaky when it comes to choosing fights. He hasn't won a fight in about five years. So yeah, he isn't fighting Woodley unless someone gets hurt.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, J.T. said:

We also have Tyron Woodley expressing more interest in taking a catchweight money fight against Nick Diaz and calling out GSP instead of defending against Wonderboy.

And that's absolute garbage.  I hate it.

3 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

Apparently Tyron Woodley and Conor McGregor are the matchmakers now and not Joe Silva.

He has the final say, and we've gotten a ton of fights that didn't make sense at the time actually happening (Cormier-Gus, Lawler-Condit, both Diaz-McGregor fights, Lawler-Woodley) in his divisions. They all turned out pretty damn eventful, if not awesome.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheVileOne said:

Dana White said Diaz/McGregor 3 won't happen right away, but if it does, Max Holloway called out Jose Aldo for UFC 205 at MSG.

• Like 1

Usually when a Diaz brother loses on points, they then pull out the 'Look at his face, look at my face' argument to say they should have won. But not this time. Usually when one man has that much of another man's blood all over him, it's because he just murdered and dismembered the other man. Not narrowly outpointed him.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AxB said:

Usually when a Diaz brother loses on points, they then pull out the 'Look at his face, look at my face' argument to say they should have won. But not this time. Usually when one man has that much of another man's blood all over him, it's because he just murdered and dismembered the other man. Not narrowly outpointed him.

Nate Diaz is about as tough as a man as there is in the UFC.  Conor hit him with some massive shots in the first two rounds, his front leg was pretty much destroyed, and his face looked like it was ran over by a lawnmower.  At the end of the fight, I think I would have scored the fight for Diaz.  With some time to think about it, this fight was probably a draw, because that 2nd round was about as even as fights get.  McGregor knocked him down twice, but the last minute and a half Diaz straight up battered him.  McGregor was masterful for the first round and a half.  He was super patient, used leg kicks, and was super accurate with his punches.  The first fight he fought at a strange distance where he couldn't land anything without lunging in and it made him less accurate and really sapped his energy.  He was loading up, throwing huge hooks, and couldn't land in combination.  In the second fight he was much more controlled, and was able to smash Diaz with some huge shots that would have knocked out most fighters.  McGregor's gas tank is still a huge problem, but he showed that he learned from his mistakes and has the determination to keep pushing when he is dog tired.  I think the fourth round was the most telling of the fight.  McGregor was exhausted, Diaz couldn't see, so they decided they would clinch and dirty box.  This was a great fight, and I have no idea who would win the rubber match.  If McGregor follows up one one of those big punches he may finish Diaz, but if he gasses while Diaz' face isn't covered in blood he could just as easily be finished.

• Like 1

Apparently the Judge who had it even gave Diaz a 10-8 in the third. Which, I mean, Diaz clearly won the round, but it wasn't a one-sided destruction or anything. If that's a 10-8, arguably the first should have been 10-8 McGregor. But the second, fourth and fifth were all tricky to score.

I have seen (stupid) people suggesting Diaz jobbed on purpose to guarantee himself a third big payday. I don't buy it. If he wanted to take a dive, he'd have taken a dive. Not stayed in there trying to win for all 5 rounds.

• Like 3