DVDVR Message Board

CWC EPISODE FIVE - 2nd Round (8/9/16)

RIPPA

Reminder - tomorrow is only a two match show (the rest of the 2nd round will be 3 matches each show)

Tajiri vs. Gran Metalik

Kota Ibushi vs. Cedric Alexander

One would assume that will so much time they are longer matches but who knows

Edited by RIPPA
Forgot today was only Tuesday

Well I would assume new promo/videos to hype the new matchups - plus recap each guys 1st round win.

Plus - as we have seen the Network isn't afraid to end a show at say 50 minutes instead of padding for the full hour.

Happens with NXT shows too

I can already see some dudes saying this wasn't for them but I felt Ibushi and Alexander was just flat out awesome because they combined the crazy flips and dives into a well rounded story and I bought at least a few of those near falls! It was tremendous. A lot more selling from Ibushi also then maybe I'm used to seeing.

So yes it rocked but I have to mention Tajiri and Gran Metalik also..  another very good match.

WWE should try everything to sign all four guys who wrestled tonight.

Hey it's Hunter!

• Like 2

• Oh man, Tajiri is so fucking good at wrestling. Not to take away from Gran Metallik, but Tajiri is the best.
  • Tajiri kicked Metallik right in the face and then Metallik slapped the fuck out of him. Then they just stiffed each other for a bit longer! This was AFTER all the awesome chain wrestling and in the midst of them telling a story where Tajiri's slowing reaction time was betraying him and was the likely deciding point of the fight. 
  • Metallik's dives are so much fun to watch.
  • The other mat wrestling and submission spots were so tense and filled with struggle. This match was great. I have to think about if I can fit it in my top ten for the company this year (along with Ciampa/Gargano). 
  • Ibushi and Alexander working a bunch of counter-wrestling spots while the commentary sold the film study these guys did to learn about one another was the best. I need at least some of this in my pro-wres presentation. It doesn't have to be the only way that the commentators talk about the product, but it should be present. 
  • Seeing Kota Ibushi in a WWE ring is so weird to me. This match was really good overall. Not as good as the first match, where everything felt like a real brawl and a struggle in a way that this did not, but very good. Plus, they did also kick and slap each other pretty damned hard, which is always a major plus. 
  • I know people will call that match great in large part because of that hot finishing run which was, indeed, fire, and I would not quibble with people who preferred this match to the Tajiri/Metallik match. 
  • Aww, Cedric Alexander. And then Papa HHH showing up like an angel to take him off to NXT Heaven while the crowd chanted YES! Dylan Waco was right: Triple H is god. 
  • Like 4

If they somehow top that hour of wrestling again by the end of this tournament, then my jaw will drop.

All 4 guys on this show looked like gigantic stars.

Something to consider: out of the last 4 matches to air on the CWC, Aichner/Gallagher is most likely actually the worst. And that was really good stuff.

• Like 3

You know, I heard Cedric was super emotional after he came back out. I'm pretty sure when he got backstage, Trips told him he had a contract if he wanted it, and they did the thing with him going back out afterwards. Just makes way too much sense to me.

They 100% got me on the Spin Kick after the Brainbuster. I fucking knew the result already, and they still 100% got me.

• Like 5

Ibushi brought Cedric up to his level. You could see it happen before your eyes as the match progressed. 

And I wasn't spoiled on the result, and it was a situation where you could make a case for either one winning so that ridonkulous finishing sequence was all the more suspenseful. 

I actually have to point out something Phil mentioned on twitter that has to be noted. I don't have as much experience with Alexander as I'd like, but I have a lot of it with Ibushi, and generally, he's hit and miss with me. But I think the WWE atmosphere actually helps Kota calm down some of his more frustrating habits. Maybe the same is true for Alexander. Whatever it was, everything clicked for me tonight. 

I can see how working more of a WWE-friendly style would benefit him having seen only a little of his Japan stuff. WWE style is a little less of having to prove how stiff you're capable of being and once that part of it is no longer a competition, he looks like his other stuff is tighter. 

The first match was masterful storytelling where it was the cagier Tajiri trying to make it a mat-based match to ground a younger, faster opponent and only when Metalic was able to create openings to fly could he do so. And Mauro/DB I don't think even brought that point up just out of the sheer obviousness of it. 

And you know when effing AmDrag is stumped on submission moves that they were pulling out some shit from the back of the playbook. 

Laughing at the idea of Ibushi bringing Ced "to his level".

Two amazing matches, but I honestly preferred the Tajiri match.  Just a bit more well rounded and grounded, which is more my taste.  Cec/Ibushi was a blast, but it was every indy kickout match ever, just with a better narrative.

• Like 2

What a great show. I'm bummed Tajiri lost, but hopefully we'll see him again in WWE as I though he was clearly the best guy in the match. I'd be down for an Ibushi/Alexander match headlining a Takeover. I think Cedric could be a top guy in NXT he already has the connection with the crowd. That post match stuff was one of the best moments of the year. Ibushi is such a well rounded offensive wrestler from the awesome strikes to sweet high spots, to the snap he gets on his power stuff.

Bryan marking out on commentary is my new favorite thing.

Bryan and Mauro remind me of the commentators you'd find on those crazy dubbed Japanese obstacle course shows.

These two matches tonight... Tajiri is flat out amazing. He's morphing into Gran Hamada and I'm digging him just as much now as I did when he was 30.

What I love about this CWC is that it's making names. It's become a highly emotional event with Ciampa vs Gargano and now Ibushi vs Alexander. These guys are getting made before our eyes- even if we did already knew them they are now getting their coming out party for the world to see. 

• Like 1

That was an awesome show. Both matches were fantastic. So damn happy Tajiri is back as he was just awesome against Metallik, and I need more of him in WWE since he is out of the tournament, Fuck, I actually knew the result of Cedric/Ibushi and still thought Alexander might actually win. I'm totally with the crowd on Alexander needing to be signed.