DVDVR Message Board

CWC EPISODE FOUR - 1st Round (8/3/16)

RIPPA

8 hours ago, Charlie M. said:

Any recommendations of Aichner's indy work? He's one of the few guys who I don't think I've ever seen before at all.

I've posted a few of his matches in the 2015 and 2016 Internet matches threads. You'll have to search for "Adrian Severe", if you want to see more. That's his regular ringname.

• Like 1

Ray mentioned this already but I was amused by Bryan and Mauro being stunned by the double jump moonsault. Guess they don't watch the video packages

• Like 3

Oh my fucking goodness, that Ciampa vs Gargano match. Wrong man won, but goddamn, what a match. I loved all of the emotion from Ciampa in that match: Pulling the knee pad down and then pulling it back up, ripping the elbow pad off, going back to sit with Johnny, etc. Ciampa is so fucking awesome. Gargano held his own.

• Like 3

I find Jack Gallagher to be somewhere between 15 and 3534654 times better than Zack Sabre Jr.  He wrestles a similar style, but never gets to the point where it looks like his opponent is just laying there getting moves put on him.  He actually sells his opponents offense like it actually hurts, which is one of Sabre's biggest weaknesses.  Gallagher has more charisma, looks to be in good enough shape to compete in an elite athletic competition, and has a sweet mustache.  Long Live the King of Goofy English Matworkers, Jack Gallagher.

• Like 5

I'm thrilled to see Swann winning the first round, glad to see him being his wacky dancing self.  I've heard a bit about Noam Dar but have not seen any matches.  I'm hoping he has better matches in him because aside from the submission this wasn't a good match.

Bryan's love for Jack came across as so authentic that you just wanted to say "I know, right?"  His enthusiasm is so infectious, especially for the way Jack got out of holds.  I like Sabre Jr. just fine, but admit that Jack does it much better.  And unlike Zack's first round match, the opponent had plenty of chances to shine with Fabian did.  Fun, fun match and I'm hoping to see a lot more from both guys.  And the main event told a helluva story, loved that match.  Ciampa was the one driving the story home, but Gargano held his own.  Great show, can't wait for round 2.

1 hour ago, supremebve said:

I find Jack Gallagher to be somewhere between 15 and 3534654 times better than Zack Sabre Jr.  He wrestles a similar style, but never gets to the point where it looks like his opponent is just laying there getting moves put on him.  He actually sells his opponents offense like it actually hurts, which is one of Sabre's biggest weaknesses.  Gallagher has more charisma, looks to be in good enough shape to compete in an elite athletic competition, and has a sweet mustache.  Long Live the King of Goofy English Matworkers, Jack Gallagher.

Gallagher didn't show off half of what he can do either, Bryan was mentioning that he taught JuJitsu he is also super slick in a more shootstyle mat enviornment, we reviewed the Tetsujin Shootstyle tourney over at SC which had him tooling dudes with nasty armbars and judo chokes

http://segundacaida.blogspot.com/2016/01/tetsujin-shoot-style-112015.html

The cool thing about the Ciampa-Gargano match is that now I'm going to be waiting for Ciampa to go all Kevin Owens on Gargano any time they lose a tag match.

The nice thing about the match is that the finish, with the quick series of mat reversals, seemed like a perfectly plausible way for Gargano to pull out the win without making Ciampa look like a chump for doling out so much punishment and then losing.

It's very interesting that the Bollywood Boys were the only losers covered with a video package in the Bracketology special, which I presume was taped after the first round was actually finished. The Dar/'Gurv match was actively bad, with them not meshing at all and Dar's character work not getting over. (Someone calling themselves the Special Wan should be heeling it up, ferchrissakes.) Harv looked alright against Drew Gulak, but got the least amount of offense in of any of the losers in the tournament, and had what felt like the shortest match. It felt like their time should have gone to Raul Mendoza and Fabian Aichner instead.

Ciampa surprised me. Like I never expected him to have that in him. I have seen a few of his matches before NXT and he was not that impressive. He was just a physical American Puro guy and that was cool. I never thought he had the capacity to tell the story that he told in that ring. Like we see so many straight monsters and thugs in wrestling, I don't recall one who has the sympathy for an opponent that is his friend and best man. Like he remembered that Gargano is not just some opponent that he can just tear into.  That is his friend. And I never thought Ciampa had the subtlety in him to pull that off. Bravo. Great match.

Gallagher is cool. Much more appreciated than ZSJ. He did not completely bury that other guy and it was a good exhibition. Someone mentioned why people drag ZSJ, but uphold TJP and Gallagher when they pretty much embody the same style. TJP's entire character revolves around looking as technical as possible and as convoluted as possible because his character is a show off. He is not about being meticulous or efficient as he is about looking cool and looking good. This works against him because, as shown in his match, opponents simply escape his holds when he takes too much time and they don't let him go overboard with transitions. He is telling a story in that ring. Gallagher is sporty and every hold has a point. He does not meaninglessly transition between holds for the sake of doing so. He only does so when he lost position. Every hold is earned. ZSJ just doesn't do either. Of all the matches in the first round, his was the one that was a straight up squash match which made his opponent look straight up incompetent. Even his finishing hold was a useless transition because ZSJ already had the dude beat and just added that additional flourish because "it looks cool."

But seriously fuck ZSJ.

• Like 6

17 hours ago, BL88 said:

Jack Gallagher looks like someone in an SNL sketch getting ready to wrestle the super ripped action movie guest host.

This was my first thought when I saw him:

150602_2870515_The_Boxer.jpg

• Like 8

Wait, HoHo got thru 1st round and Jason Lee didn't?! Lee is heads and shoulders better in every category. I'd love to see Lee get the NXT polish.

I hope the Bollywood brothers get more chances, I thought they were solid for the lil time they had.

Great selling by Gallagher (selling his mid consistently) and fantastic character work. And I hate to be the negative nelly but Kyuubi got it right with ZSJ/TJP/Gallagher comparison. Fabian deserves another nod just for the fact that he played off Gallagher so damn well.

Ciampa is a scary scary man. Love how D-Bry covered for Gargano's weak strikes.

I like ZSJ in certain settings. For instance, he had the only Ospreay match that I've ever truly liked.  He's great when he's in something competitive and in a bit of a styles clash of a match.  With that said, the hype is WAY overblown.  He's always come off as more of a WoS tribute act more than anything else, whereas Gallagher comes off as a dude who knows he's a massive underdog and does the only style that gives me an edge to win.

I can't add more about the Ciampa/Gargano match that hasn't already been said.  Best match of the tournament so far.  Both guys are ready for a call-up.

I went into Gallagher/Aichner cold so my first thought was, "oh great.  Another English kid with a precious little hipster gimmick vs Johnny The Bull Jr."  I'm glad I was wrong.  Gallagher was awesome and, in a fair and just world, he would take over Zach Sabre's bookings and position in wrestling.  When a pale kid in rainbow trunks and a curly mustache is somehow less goofy than you, you got problems.  At least Gallagher could describe the inside of the gym and you'd know he wasn't lying or just trying to remember from jackin' it to Bodyshaping episodes.  Anyway, Aichner was no slouch either.  He was game for all of Gallagher's stuff, was never lost, and brought his own damn fine arsenal as well.  Sign both guys.

Holy fuck is Noam Dar not ready for prime time.  Weak offense, botches, getting absolutely lost, building nothing, ending with a leg hold out of nowhere.  Damn.  And his next match is with Ho Ho LUn.  What a glorious shitshow that's going to be.

Swann/Lee was a glorified squash and Swann got his shit in.  He's amazing but don't let Vince see him or we'll just get a 4th member of New Day.

• Like 1

Didn't think Gallagher v Aichner could be topped but goddam if Gargano v Ciampa brought the goods.  Really great stuff.

Jack Gallagher let Aichner get a lot in and still managed to get his own stuff over, he deserves to be seen on a bigger stage. He's just spiffing. Toodle pip old chap.

• Like 2

My favorite episode so far, with only Dar/Sihra being a dud. Can't believe Jason Lee wasn't the Chinese guy they let advance, loved Gallagher/Aichner (and made the same Conan O'Brien "Gentleman Masher" joke as Peck up above, d'oh!), and came away wanting to see more of Aichner's awesome stuff (already loved Gallagher); wasn't expecting much from Gargano/Ciampa but yeah they drew me right into the match. At a certain point I had no idea who would win, and really this was a perfect way to close out the 1st round. 

http://segundacaida.blogspot.com/2016/08/wwe-cruiserweight-classic-8316.html

• Like 1

Sometimes you just watch a match and just get into the match and enjoy it.

Then you go back and rewatch it and you realize that both opponents were trying to make each other look great, and obviously the succeeded. And you hope that when they got backstage, they got congrats from everyone and appreciated each other's efforts.

For me, that was Gallagher vs. Aichner.

• Like 2

On Thursday, August 04, 2016 at 10:32 AM, RIPPA said:

I forgot Swann had gotten hurt thus vanishing from the NXT House Shows

Get a room, you two.

Great episode.  Swann has the potential to be a major player in NXT.  I fear for what could happen to him on the main roster, but I want to see more of him at Full Sail.  Jason Lee wasn't too shabby, either.  He should have moved on instead of Lun.

Dar vs. Sihra was meh.

Gallagher vs Aichner was great.  Sign them both, Triple H.  Please and thank you.

Ciampa vs Gargano was quite good, too.  I think Mendoza vs Kendrick was the best match of the first round, but this wasn't far behind.  I like them as a team--you guys, the Takeover match is going to be amazing, if the warm-up match in Houston is an indicator--but now I wonder if maybe they shouldn't be singles instead.

I read spoilers for the first round, because I wanted to know the match-ups, and (rightly) assumed it was pretty obvious who would advance.  I have thus far avoided all spoilers for round 2.  I'm very excited to see what's coming up.  I figure Ibushi is still a lock to win, but I'm hopeful Tajiri, Kendrick, and Gallagher go far. 

What a time to be alive!

On ‎8‎/‎5‎/‎2016 at 7:34 AM, Technico Support said:

I can't add more about the Ciampa/Gargano match that hasn't already been said.  Best match of the tournament so far.  Both guys are ready for a call-up.

Maybe as job boys for Stroman.

On ‎8‎/‎5‎/‎2016 at 7:34 AM, Technico Support said:

Swann/Lee was a glorified squash and Swann got his shit in.  He's amazing but don't let Vince see him or we'll just get a 4th member of New Day.

If I was Swann and got a call saying I was going to be the fourth member of New Day I'd be fucking ecstatic.

• Like 2