DVDVR Message Board

NXT TakeOver: Brooklyn II

The Natural

5 minutes ago, Smelly McUgly said:

This was the weakest Takeover in awhile,

Wow, I'm gonna disagree with that one.  I think it was the best show since Dallas.

I do agree that Joe/Nakamura should have been WAY more heated than it was.  I expected a fucking brawl and I got armholds.  But the last five minutes made up for it.

And The Revival are SO Tully/Arn.  Loved the match but their random no-selling after the false finishes kinda telegraph the ending.  

You know what is absolutely amazing about NXT now?  Nakamura and Asuka are the champions.  And they should be.  Because I have absolutely no idea who on the roster could actually beat either one of them.  

BTW - you saw a brief shoot of it but folks in the crowd said multiple officials were throwing up the X for Joe after the match and the medical personal came running from everywhere 

So don't be surprised if he has a legit broken jaw

That was the best I'd seen Jose look.  His gimmick still reeks of mid card jobber but he showed that he's got some potential in the ring.  Agreed Aries seemed a bit off, especially the segment with Itami.

Roode's entrance was over, but everything else about him is incredibly generic and forgettable.  Andrade really needs some sort of actual gimmick or character.  He's a skilled wrestler but he just needs something to make people actually care about him one way or the other.

I'd never seen Ember Moon before tonight and she seemed pretty solid.  The gimmick seems kind of tacked on and ill fitting though. She comes out like a ninja and doesn't really do anything to establish her character.  She'll be an asset to the division either way.

This tag match didn't have the emotional buildup that the AA matches did, but it was a hell of a bout.  I think Ciampa and Gargano are better off on their own but they've begun to really gel together and put on a hell of a show here. 

Asuka/Bayley was good but I wasn't as into it as some of the other high profile women's title matches.  The ending seemed kind of abrupt, and hopefully Bayley is full time on the main roster now.

Nakamura winning surprised the hell out of me but I'm guessing Joe is getting called up now? 

3 minutes ago, sydneybrown said:

You know what is absolutely amazing about NXT now?  Nakamura and Asuka are the champions.  And they should be.  Because I have absolutely no idea who on the roster could actually beat either one of them.  

Well Ember is gonna be beating Asuka, so that's handled more or less.

But on the Nak front, that's true, and it's not a good thing. The only guy on the roster I bought as being able to beat Nak just lost to him and might have a Broken Jaw.

When was the last time The Revival didn't have an instant classic? They're the exact reason why I watch wrestling. Everyone as a kid could like someone like Hulk Hogan or The Ultimate Warrior or Sting. But there was always a subset of kids (like me) who wanted to be heels. And heel tag teams were the best. There's nothing quite like distracting a ref, pulling off a ring apron or the other sorts of thing heel tag teams do. The Revival do it so well. They're my favorite thing in wrestling right now probably. They're my platonic ideal of why I like fake fighting more than actual fighting.

I thought Bayley/Asuka was awesome. Just really brutal and stiff and a great battle of "what you can do I can do." The end was fantastic. Bayley wasn't going to get choked out and Asuka caught her with a head shot -- which is the one thing Asuka has that no other woman wrestler alive does. No one can counter a knockout blow. Bayley's NXT run really was the stuff of legends. She's on the short list of best babyfaces ever and losing like she did to a force of nature is the only way she can say goodbye.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, El Dragon said:

Well Ember is gonna be beating Asuka, so that's handled more or less.

But on the Nak front, that's true, and it's not a good thing. The only guy on the roster I bought as being able to beat Nak just lost to him and might have a Broken Jaw.

Ember had a really good debut, but she's gotta build from that.  If she's being brought in to automatically be the new female champion, the fans will see right thought it.  That was a badass finisher though.  I rewound that a few times.

I enjoyed the show quite a bit. I'm tempted to give MVP of the night to Aries for getting about as good a match as I think is possible out of Jose at this point. Aries vs Itami should be great. Effective debut for Ember, and her finish got over huge(I have no idea why they showed Billie walking around after the match). Roode and Andrade worked a really smart match with Roode not doing anything to pop the crowd, but they just weren't having it. Roode needs a new finish other than that it was a good showing.

I think we've reached the point where it's time to strongly consider The Revival as 2016 WWE MVPs. Dawson might be my favorite worker in the company. Even my disdain for Gargano couldn't stop me from enjoying this. Really tremendous stuff, and just a hair behind the best Revival/AA match. I have to be honest the women's title match was a bit of a let down. I never felt like Asuka was in any real danger, and there were several points where you could see her slow down so Bayley could keep up. Still a really good match, but I had sky high expectations.

Joe and Nak came pretty close to meeting my expectations. I think Joe dominating so much early on took the crowd out of it, but I dug it. Joe went full Stan Hansen with that lariat holy shot that was the highlight of the match. Crowd was way into the finish, and if Joe isn't legit hurt he did a wonderful sell job. Easy thumbs up MOTN goes to Revival vs Ciampa & Gargano.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, El Dragon said:

Well, Ember and Asuka had great matches in Shimmer, and are arguably each others best opponent. A great match will get them to accept it, and it's a likely bet.

I'll plead ignorance to not knowing about their past in Shimmer so I'll take your word for it.  I took your earlier comment to imply she was the NXT Roman Reigns.

I also like how WWE has just given up on pretending that the wrestlers in the crowd were there the whole time since every shot was literally taken in the exact same spot (starting with the pitiful attempts to hide Ric Flair.)

• Like 2

My three main reactions to this show:

1. I can't believe Roode is using that bland pumphandle slam as his finisher. I should be used to it by now, but I'm still always surprised when WWE gives a wrestler a weak finisher. You'd think a good finish would be the one foolproof thing they could do to help establish someone. But at least it looks like Cien Almas isn't ending matches with the running-crotch-to-the-face anymore.

2. Revival/G&C was a great match.

3. Nakamura/Joe was strong, but I'm disappointed in the outcome. For one thing, I just like Samoa Joe better, and for him to only have one successful title defense in the midst of his incredible career renaissance feels like a missed opportunity. Nakamura is good and all, but his schtick is already starting to bug me. And I also think that a series between the two of them with Joe winning the first bout would have been the most intriguing direction to go.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

BTW - you saw a brief shoot of it but folks in the crowd said multiple officials were throwing up the X for Joe after the match and the medical personal came running from everywhere 

So don't be surprised if he has a legit broken jaw

That knee that broke Joe's jaw was a lot like Nak's entrance: There was some extra violins on it.

Good night, everybody!

• Like 15

Kind of a slower feeling start with the first three matches before things picked up greatly with the last three. Though Itami hitting the GTS was aces and him vs Aries should be excellent. Not feeling the remix on Billie Kay's theme. Ember looked good as expected and it's very cool to see after watching her debut almost 9 years ago but I don't think she should just go straight to beating Asuka. Asuka is just the best and always a joy to watch, another great performance from her.

Roode/Almas was a solid match but that finish.. was so "that's it?". I was hoping he'd stick to the old Payoff fisherman's suplex which always looked great from him. I'd forgotten he was using the Roode Bomb last which was close to the AA. "Glorious Bomb" pumphandle slam definitely didn't fit but I thought he looked good and hope he continues to shine. He was my favorite heel back during his TNA Title run days but I do think the fans are going to end up turning him face sooner than later.

Tag titles match was awesome. Never felt the outcome was in doubt but the near falls were super hot still along with the great crowd. Very solid oldschool finish, dug this match a lot. The build had me just wanting to see the Revival crush those guys but it ended up being the most I have enjoyed Gargano or Ciampa so far.

Loved the main event and thought it delivered a proper epic feel. Nakamura's entrance was amazing. It was the one match on the card that really felt unpredictable and could go either way. That finishing stretch was wild and Nakamura's knees were killer. Hopefully Joe's not hurt and there's a rematch. Otherwise as others have said there isn't much in the way of truly top challengers. Nakamura & Asuka on top as the unstoppable champions is pretty awesome. Both seem like they should reign for a long time because they're so good and so few are on their level.

The first three matches were decent with a great crowd helping a lot in the case of Almas/Roode & Aries/Jose. Kay/Ember would have probably been more effective at Full Sail.

Revival vs. Gargano/Ciampa was so great and possibly up there with the AA/Revival matches. I think its the best Gargano & Ciampa's team has looked in NXT though it was more a world class performance by Revival that really pushed it into the next level.

Asuka/Bayley didn't have the best execution, but was pretty good though the ending was just a pinch flat. I think this was better than their Dallas match and easily one of the best women's matches this year in WWE, but I can't but think it oculd have been better. it doesn't help that I was really hoping that Asuka would let less and go full bitch heel. Still a good match and what is likely a nice sendoff for Bayley.

Joe/Nakamura was second only to the tag titles match. Its another where it felt like something was missing to put it tot the next level, but I was still pretty darn satisfied by what we got.

This was a good show and I'm looking forward to seeing where NXT goes from here.

Loved that everyone is kinda getting to see the Jose that I know and love now.  Thought Aries was fucking dirt awful in that match though, making ZERO attempt at being a heel during the match to make Jose look stronger.  Contrast that with Bobby Roode who went out of his way to be a slimey heel, and Sombra got the crowd behind him as a result.

Joe/Nak was fucking bad, I'm sorry.  Pacing was really weird, and I have to say that "stateside" Nakamura is doing absolutely nothing for me.  Good finishing run to the match doesn't make up for 20 minutes of nothing.

Revival vs Gargano/Ciampa is easily a top 5-10 WWE match this year.

• Like 2

I think Asuka only loses like Taker did at Royal Rumble 94 when the entire heel roster attacked him. Asuka's hubris gets her to accept a No DQ match against a woman she's already beaten, like Billie Kay, then Billie starts rallying the women to aid her with the heels hinting that they're only doing this because they know they can beat Billie but no one can defeat the Empress

• Like 2

I feel like Roode is a Main Roster Guy. I don't mean it like he's a slam dunk, in fact I dunno if he'll make it, but he doesn't fit NXT for me. Give him Bo Dallas and another lackey or two, throw him on Smackdown and see what he can do.

• Like 1

Dash is the king of heel stooging. He does all of these small, great things that keep the match progressing and make his opponents look great. He also has a classic pro wrestling body, and I appreciate his beefiness.

Dawson is a legit heel. He does nothing the fans should cheer for, and it is incredible. There is nothing redeemable about his character or presentation. It's beautiful.

I love The Revival but never want them to win because they are so effective. Like, I love watching them but never cheer for them even in a smarky, ironic way. That is revolutionary in 2016.

Also, as a side note, Nak's matches have become unbearably formulaic over the past couple months. I love Joe though and hope he's not hurt bad!

• Like 3

If people prefer this to London or The End, that makes sense to me, but I thought The Revival alone had better matches on both those shows than they did on Brooklyn 2, and their match on Brooklyn 2 was pretty clearly the best match of the night in my view. 

But again, I enjoyed Brooklyn 2 quite a bit!

1 hour ago, Josh Mann said:

That knee that broke Joe's jaw was a lot like Nak's entrance: There was some extra violins on it.

Good night, everybody!

himZD0M.gif

Very very fun show.  The Revival were fucking aces and make me still love pro wrestling.  GLORRRRIOUS

The best part about comparing each NXT Takeover is that even the worst one is still pretty damn good.  And this was one of the best.

I liked most of this show and I know I'm going to catch some shit for this, but I really am not a fan of Nakamura.

I am not familiar with his stuff in Japan, but I loved the Sami match and thought Nak was charming as hell, but he's showed me nothing since then. This match with Joe should have been Joe acting like a caged animal and trying to kill Nak, but it was a wrestling match because they had to work in Nak's goofy shit. Joe is great at being an animal hell-bent on hurting people, and Nak can't be vulnerable and doesn't seem to want to be vicious.  

Joe does the sort of pro wrestling violence that I love. It feels like a fight in there. Nak's Strong Style bullshit is weird implied hipster violence. "He'll kick you really hard" was the hype. The only problem is that he rarely lands kicks. He's too busy twitching and shaking while he has someone in the corner or on the ropes. Yawn. 

I was talking with RandomAct earlier and he implied that Nak in the WWE seems to just want to get his act down and his shit in. I guess that's fine, but part of excelling at the WWE style is learning to get your shit in within the context of the match. Nak doesn't do that and it really bogs down the matches. 

• Like 5

Just got back from Barclays (with a few bar pit stops along the way). A few thoughts/questions:

- tag match was easily match of the night for me, even tho I was very far from convinced on Gargano (and liked a bunch of the other matches). Just great, fun wrestling.

- what are they calling the O-face?

- as someone who has watched way more CMLL than TNA and tends to cheer for faces anyways, I was cheering for Almas, but man oh man was I in the minority, and understandably so considering that the face had terrible suspenders and hat and hasn't really talked at all (and was always better as a heel in his previous life) while the heel has the best theme song in the company. I hope they can redeem Sombra somehow and haven't fucked him up beyond repair.

- Tye is as over in Brooklyn as he is in Florida.