DVDVR Message Board

Summerslam XXIX

Dolfan in NYC

5 hours ago, Smelly McUgly said:
  • I was actually a bit interested in the main event just beacuse I wanted to see if they'd book Brock to lose after his piss test for UFC. It was pretty boring except for the blood pack, but then the end was like, "Why is Shane brave enough to come out here, but not Bryan?" Like, I know why Bryan can't take an F5, but from a kayfabe standpoint, bad look for D-Bry. 

The whole Brand split GM thing has kinda sucked. Neither guy can take a bump, Bryan comes off as a hypocritical dick for treating a guy like Slater the way The Authority treated him, and Foley live is a bad idea in general because he comes off like he's got early stage Alzheimer's...

4 hours ago, Charlie M. said:

People criticize Charlotte constantly for everything under the sun. Sasha's supposed to be the super worker and god's gift to professional wrestling. If you think it's all Charlotte's fault then why is Sasha still coming up with these spots to do with her that she can't do? Sasha's the one with more experience.

When you get to the stage that Will Ospreay is tweeting @ you with legit advice on safely performing a rana, because he's actually worried about you landing on your head again, you probably need to knock that stuff on the head.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, ChesterCopperpot said:

Pretty sure it was when Seth powerbombed him into the ring barricade

x4n605.jpg

Yeah, you see him wince and shake his arm there. I thought it was just a stinger or something because he didn't really react to it the rest of the match.

Also, Orton may not have been cooperating on the suplexes, but after that spot where Lesnar kinda bealed him from the rail into that table with the monitors and everything still in place, I'd have launched one of those monitors at Brock's head. Like, I know Brock would eat me or whatever, but that made me cringe in a "God what a dick" way.

8 hours ago, paintedbynumbers said:

So basically not only is Brock exempt from the piss test, but he doesn't have to listen to the ref's either?  He shoved a ref and kept attacking Orton and wasn't DQ'd.  He F5's  Shane and I keep waiting for the decision to be reversed but nothing.  No rules for Brock Lesnar  why did he not run for President.  Lesnar and Heyman > Trump

He's a Canadian citizen now would be a conflict for him to be president while being a subject of the queen.

These 4 hour shows, plus the long pre show, it's just too much.

By the time Balor/Rollins hit the ring I was done. 

Long, long show full of tedious matches built the same way.  Too many finisher kickouts.  Something has to change.

I think I liked the women's match best. Despite the dangerous and sloppy spots it was a compelling match.  Opening tag was really good too.  

I think they really fucked up the order too.  I have no issue with the hot tag match going first but following that I think Sasha vs. Charlotte was too early. AJ vs. Cena was WAY too early and burnt out the crowd for probably over an hour.  Rusev vs. Reigns went on way too late.  I would have also placed Orton vs. Brock somewhere in the middle of the show with that finish. 

If you end the show with AJ vs. Cena and then close it out with the Balor title win right after maybe the crowd stays hot throughout. 

Any thoughts on match positioning?

• Like 1

I thought the show was OK, but when it lasts as long as it did, just OK is pretty bad. Then you add in the fucked up placement of matches and it gets worse. When they interviewed Rusev, I thought, "oh yeah, I forgot about this match, cool." And then it goes into the Universal Title match. So the US title match goes on after the world title match because...Reigns? Fucking really? Not only that, but it ends in a non-finish?

How can this company just not fucking get it? NXT Takeover was only 24 hours earlier and it did more with 2 hours than Summerslam could do with 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, or 10 hours of programming. Where is the logic in undervaluing the Raw world title right out of the gate? Of course, there is no logic in that and main roster creative doesn't get that because they're still trying to fucking make Roman Reigns happen. This is a guy the audience regularly shits on or doesn't care about, but it goes on after both world title matches, sending the message that this guy, that the audience shits on, is somehow more important than all of the guys fighting for each show's top title.

I hate these Takeover weekends where Takeover is the night before. It makes watching Wrestlemania or Summerslam that much more infuriating because there are people that work for this motherfucking company that understand how to put on a good wrestling show and a good sports entertainment show, but that doesn't follow through to the main roster because...reasons. Ugh.

Anyway, unlike almost everyone else, I like Finn beating Seth and I quite liked Cena vs Styles. I just fucking hated the placement of matches and the nonstop segments with Renee, Booker, and the rest. It makes a loooooong show feel that much longer.

BTW, I thought this during Lesnar vs Orton and then Meltzer and Alvarez brought it up, but in what way is letting a guy get color hardway safer or better than letting someone blade? Christ. You don't have to allow color in EVERY match, but be judicious about it. If it makes sense, do it! I think the only way it will change is if Lesnar is the one who blades and then Vince has to later be the one to tell Lesnar he's fined or suspended, like he did with Jericho and Batista. Let's see how that goes.

13 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

I think they really fucked up the order too.  I have no issue with the hot tag match going first but following that I think Sasha vs. Charlotte was too early. AJ vs. Cena was WAY too early and burnt out the crowd for probably over an hour.  Rusev vs. Reigns went on way too late.  I would have also placed Orton vs. Brock somewhere in the middle of the show with that finish. 

If you end the show with AJ vs. Cena and then close it out with the Balor title win right after maybe the crowd stays hot throughout. 

Any thoughts on match positioning?

Yeah - it was all done to bury Smackdown as much as possible

Their major title went on before the other major title AND US title

Major star left in bloody mess

Brand leader left dead in ring

The "cancelled" match was a Smackdown match

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Stevie Ray Von Erich said:

I don't mind finisher kick out because the idea of a finisher in and of itself is silly. Like, I get it and the tradition, but it's just a weird hangover from the last century.

Right, why I agree with in theory. But the problem is the execution. Every guy that falls to that persons finisher in a nothing match looks like a jabroni. 

Were they always planning on doing Rusev/Reigns as a non-match/angle or was that an audible because they were running out of time? I can at least see the justification in placing them there if it was up in the air whether the match would even happen. It would have looked much worse if they got 15-20 minutes and then one of the world titles had 7 minutes. 

7 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

I'm going to SD! tomorrow night. I just wonder if there is anyone on the roster left to compete.  Maybe we get a cool Heath Slater segment and ? 

Probably no Cena. Probably no Orton. Not even Eva Marie. Oh god...

Long Shane promo and long Nikki promo?

5 minutes ago, Wyld Samurai said:

Was anyone else annoyed that the tag title match was called off for interference when Big E never made it into the ring?

Well I was bugged it wasn't called earlier with Jon Stewart just freely going in and out of the ring.

Granted that falls under the "he didn't touch anyone" category but that is a different level of bullshit

Watching these people get super risky to cover for lackluster booking is sad.  Even sadder when the crowd is as terrible as this one was.

Orton, Sasha, Balor etc.

Balor didn't get hurt on anything out of the ordinary so maybe that one wasn't as bad.  He got his arm caught when trying to find the distance of the wall.  Impressive that they were able to pull it together after that considering how much work they had to do to get the crowd back.