DVDVR Message Board

UFC Fight Night 92: Rodríguez vs. Caceres (8/6/2016) - Salt Lake City, UT (Vivint Smart Home Arena)

Elsalvajeloco

Is this mma's equivalent of a spotfest?

I thought things were looking bleak for Cacares when he was slowing down going into round 2 and Rodriguez was still looking strong but things have really evened out in round 3. Fun fight. 

Edit : Did I hear right? 49-46 Cacares?  Not saying it wasn't close but I didn't see how it could have been scored 49-46 for Cacares. I thought the right guy won in the end at least.

I scored the fight for Rodriguez, but this was a favorable match-up for him.  He really needs to tighten up his defense and his boxing because while his kicks are beautiful, his boxing and defense are sloppy as hell.  

Just now, Oyaji said:

How the fuck did Derek Cleary score it 49-46 Cacares? Ridiculous.

You can possibly give Caceres round 3, but he got outworked in round 4 and 5.

• Like 1

That's how I saw it. A pretty clear 49-46 for Rodriguez with only round 3 going the other way. Looking at Cleary's other scores, he doesn't seem to be a bad judge but man... dafuqisthat?

6 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

I scored the fight for Rodriguez, but this was a favorable match-up for him.  He really needs to tighten up his defense and his boxing because while his kicks are beautiful, his boxing and defense are sloppy as hell.  

Way too much lunging forward and sometimes even running towards his opponent chin first. Not a good look. That's how Werdum got KO'd even after getting away with it numerous times against Velasquez. All it takes is for an opponent to plant while backpeddling and connect and it's game over.

3 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

Way too much lunging forward and sometimes even running towards his opponent chin first. Not a good look. That's how Werdum got KO'd even after getting away with it numerous times against Velasquez. All it takes is for an opponent to plant while backpeddling and connect and it's game over.

It's fine to do that against a guy like Alex Caceres, who is not an elite striker or grappler.  But if he wants to be a serious top 10 level contender he really needs to get with a serious camp or try to plug those holes.  Otherwise, guys like Edgar, Aldo, hell even Swanson I imagine, will eat him alive.

20 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

It's fine to do that against a guy like Alex Caceres, who is not an elite striker or grappler.  But if he wants to be a serious top 10 level contender he really needs to get with a serious camp or try to plug those holes.  Otherwise, guys like Edgar, Aldo, hell even Swanson I imagine, will eat him alive.

He's already with Jackson/Wink and Mike Valle & Izzy Martinez in Chicago. He was one of their first projects out of Mexico and actually worked out. The other being Marco Beltran.

I think with the kicking/knee offense in that particular style, it does predicate him eliminating a lot of other techniques. My problem is more of Rodriguez spending so much time searching for Caceres. He was coming from way across the cage and able to catch Caceres at certain points. The problem is he is basically sprinting in while Caceres can step off to the side and have a lot of these strikes just glance off of him. In previous fights, Rodriguez was more in front of his opponents. He was still doing the same techniques, but he wasn't wasting a ton of energy doing so. That's why he was able to keep it up without getting tired. In a close quarters boxing match, he was still solidly outlanding Caceres. Caceres was landing a few shots here or there, but those punches were very ineffective. 

Tonight, he was fighting a longer fighter who was comfortable fighting him from a distance. Caceres also able to take those key head kicks that I think a lot of other featherweights would have dropped from. I doubt he faces a top five guy next. They're not going ape shit with the matchmaking for him. Going forward, I would like to see him just fight with a much tighter strategy. If you're going to rush dudes into the cage, keep them on the cage and go to work. I think he is much better when he sets up his strikes while his opponent is standing at a much more appropriate range. It makes his strikes much more effective because his opponents have less opportunity to actually see the setup (ala the Andre Fili fight).

Even though he was limping after the fight, it turns out Yair Rodriguez didn't suffer any major injury to his foot. So there is a good chance he might be able to turn around and fight on the November show in Mexico City.