DVDVR Message Board

MLB 2016 - AUGUST

Dolfan in NYC

Thank you Tex for not making us suffer through another fucking "retirement tour". Just hang it up and ride off into the sunset. I also realize he's nowhere near as high-profile as the guys that did have all the hoopla, but it's nice to see nonetheless.

1 minute ago, grilledcheese said:

Thank you Tex for not making us suffer through another fucking "retirement tour". Just hang it up and ride off into the sunset. I also realize he's nowhere near as high-profile as the guys that did have all the hoopla, but it's nice to see nonetheless.

He is gonna be one of those guys when people look are going to be like "Jesus - he was really fucking good"

Kinda like the discussion that is gonna happen around Andruw Jones in a couple of years

2 hours ago, RIPPA said:

He is gonna be one of those guys when people look are going to be like "Jesus - he was really fucking good"

Kinda like the discussion that is gonna happen around Andruw Jones in a couple of years

And right from the moment he set foot in the Bigs, too. Power, average, slash the ball to all fields, and a pretty goddamn good defender? Really good ballplayer that has been quite fun to watch.

Also, I appreciate the interview that he did with the WSJ a few years ago when he said what most of us already knew about not being able to produce the kind of value to your team compared to what you are being paid. Nice to see that kind of honesty from a player.

Oh My God do you know how much easier this is going to make it to stomach late September?

I mean we still have to deal with Craig being happy which is unnatural and perverse, but that should only last until Mid October or so and we won't already be depleted by the A-Rodgasm. 

GUYS< I THINK WE CAN MAKE IT NOW!!! 

7 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Basically he is gonna get his money just not as a player and the Yanks freed up $20 million

I was wondering about how this will all work out. NYY is still on the hook for his salary, correct? If he is released, they pay him until another team picks him up, at which point the responsibility to pay becomes the new club's. Since he won't be picking up with anyone else, don't they still have those dollars on the books for next year?

Just now, grilledcheese said:

I was wondering about how this will all work out. NYY is still on the hook for his salary, correct? If he is released, they pay him until another team picks him up, at which point the responsibility to pay becomes the new club's. Since he won't be picking up with anyone else, don't they still have those dollars on the books for next year?

They're releasing him on Friday. The contract is guaranteed. If another team signs him, they only pay him the pro-rated portion of the league minimum with the Yankees paying the rest.

5 minutes ago, Joe Lucia said:

They're releasing him on Friday. The contract is guaranteed. If another team signs him, they only pay him the pro-rated portion of the league minimum with the Yankees paying the rest.

And that applies to next year's money as well? So NYY would be responsible for all but 507K of it? 

Correct. They're on the hook for the $21 million or whatever next year too. It's not unheard of for this to happen - shit, the Mets ate $21 million on Jason Bay a couple years back. The Dodgers are eating roughly $30 million on Carl Crawford this year and next.

The Dodgers are going to end up eating about 500 million at this rate by 2030 with some of the guys they have and keep picking up over the years and not caring.

This ownership group really doesn't give a fuck about money, it would seem. Bunch of crazy, silly rich dudes, plus an $8B TV deal tends to have that effect on people. I just wish that with all that coin, they would just throw some money at all the cable systems in LA that don't carry the channel. I think it's super fucked that a local fanbase gets blacked out of games because Time Warner doesn't want to admit that the demand for the channel wasn't as great as they thought it would be. 

If I lived in LA and couldn't get Scully's last year, I would be LIVID.

The issue is that Time Warner launched the Lakers RSN a year or two earlier, and they want the providers to double dip. If they bundled them for a lower fee per network, this wouldn't be an issue.

They totally misread the market, especially given the fact that there are two established Fox RSNs in the market already. I'd be pissed if I lived in LA, but I'd get it. They're not just clashing over a few cents here.

• Like 1