DVDVR Message Board

[TV] August Television Discussion

PetrolCB

I am starting episode 6 of Last Chance U. Why am I not surprised that MDCC is the school that was involved in that melee? As someone who grew up 10 minutes (probably less than that) outside of Moorhead, MS, I can tell you very little of anything uplifting happens there. The only positive thing I can say is my mom was born there, and I don't think that was even Moorhead proper. It was some country ass place in Sunflower County and Moorhead was the closest.

However, I will say this: if you come out to my part of the Delta, your ass better be ready to fight. Woman, man, child. Don't matter. This is the bottom for real. We don't have nothing to lose. You see the one guy caught a fade pre-game and was leaking. That's every football game for the public schools there. I just want to let you folks know if you ever decide to make a stop in Sunflower County or any of the neighboring counties. Gotta keep your head on a swivel.

FWIW between that one movie with Gene Hackman in the 90s and this show, my area of less than 15,000 combined between 3 towns is getting some shine. Not in the best of lights in either case, but I'll take it.

He lost out to another undersized, unathletic white guy again!

EDIT:  Speaking of, the Wyatt kid actually did end up walking on at Mississippi State after they lost one of their backup QBs for the year.

Jesus Christ, Vice Principals! I didn't expect that sort of ending out of this series. Made me tear up a little. Gamby and Lee 4 ever!

Regarding OITNB, I really have disliked Piper a ton the last 2 seasons. She's fucking annoying and few things she does are remotely believable. My interest in what I was watching dipped any time she was on screen. The rest of season 4 is an absolute gut punch. It is hard to watch at times. Almost all of the prison guards should have their heads on a pike, GoT style. That said, the one death this season bugged me because...

Spoiler

really, not one fucking person is going to pull white boy off of Poussey or Poussey couldn't get white boy off of her? Suspension of disbelief and all that, but damn, it was obvious what the producers were going for and it didn't work. At least with me it didn't.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Craig H said:

Jesus Christ, Vice Principals! I didn't expect that sort of ending out of this series. Made me tear up a little. Gamby and Lee 4 ever!

Regarding OITNB, I really have disliked Piper a ton the last 2 seasons. She's fucking annoying and few things she does are remotely believable. My interest in what I was watching dipped any time she was on screen. The rest of season 4 is an absolute gut punch. It is hard to watch at times. Almost all of the prison guards should have their heads on a pike, GoT style. That said, the one death this season bugged me because...

Hide contents

really, not one fucking person is going to pull white boy off of Poussey or Poussey couldn't get white boy off of her? Suspension of disbelief and all that, but damn, it was obvious what the producers were going for and it didn't work. At least with me it didn't.

My wife & I have been saying since season 1 that Piper is the most unlikable and unrealistic character on OITNB. 

9 hours ago, Craig H said:

Hide contents

Regarding Piper, I agree that she's probably the least likable supposed "good guy" on the show" It's pretty clear the overall cast is the appeal on this show to just about everyone.

Regarding the One Death

I bought it just because Poussey couldn't get him off because Poussey is fucking tiny, and this is all going on while Crazy Eyes is doing Crazy Eyes things. And I don't imagine anyone else wanted to get in the center of that, probably not realizing how badly she was getting fucked up in the situation.

Like, it's clear as day what they were doing with this entire season. Heck, they probably had been building up this angle for seasons, since it was pretty clear Poussey was "Heart" of the show as the character. She was the one character that was just universally a good people. You could tell how they were setting this up to basically destroy fans. That said, I have loved Poussey since s1, she was my favorite character on the show, I was gutted when she died, heartbroken when Taystee broke down next to the body, outright angry right with Taystee right after the announcement, and right back to heartbroken and crying at the final shot of Poussey. God damn this season broke me

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Kuetsar said:

You know Viacom, If I gave a shit about the VMA"s, I would watch MTV.  They did this same shit with the BET awards a couple of months ago.  I get the reasons behind it, just find it annoying. . .

I counted ten channels playing it on my cable package, including MOTHERFUCKING TV LAND and MTVCLASSIC

Shouldn't those two at least have been playing old VMAs?

• Like 1

I just read a story about how, when Walking Dead was pitched to NBC before AMC picked it up, NBC executives asked if it could be redone as a police procedural and maybe not include zombies.

Exhibit A in your argument, "why the broadcast networks are dogshit, artistically speaking."

• Like 3

In the criminal justice system, the worst offenders are handled by a special team. This team includes a big hatted sheriff with a pistol, a badass lady with a sword, and a grimy guy with a crossbow. Law and Order: Parts of Georgia Unit 

I mean...maybe it could work.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

Act 1: Find a dead person whose brains were eaten

Act 2: Conduct an investigation

Act 3: Turns out a zombie did it

Week 2, introduce special guest star Mario Lopez.

Act 1: Show an increased amount of people with scratches. Investigate Mario Lopez.

Act 2: Reveal a bite mark on Mario Lopez's arm.

Act 3: Zombies did it. Mario Lopez's character was just into some torture type shit.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, zev said:

In the criminal justice system, the worst offenders are handled by a special team. This team includes a big hatted sheriff with a pistol, a badass lady with a sword, and a grimy guy with a crossbow. Law and Order: Parts of Georgia Unit 

I mean...maybe it could work.

There needs to be a semi-comedic spin off called, "Law and Order: Only in Florida."  

• Like 3

Spielberg's masterful checkmate of Sheinberg is the best part of that story

In response, Spielberg sent a memo back to Sheinberg, thanking him for sending his wonderful "joke memo" and that the office "got a kick out of it." Embarrassed, Sheinberg let Zemeckis and Spielberg keep the film's original title.

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, (BP) said:

This reminds me of this memo from Sid Sheinberg to Spielberg I just saw floating around on Twitter. 

Hide contents

SheinbergMemo-700x890.jpg?resize=700,890

I'm glad there are creatives out there who know when to say no. 

And have the leverage to be able to do it. . .

• Like 1