DVDVR Message Board

[TV] August Television Discussion

PetrolCB

No, that's bogus as fuck. The Nighly Show has smoked Trevor like a cheap cigar since they both started. Fuck this and fuck them.

Not to get political, but I wonder if this is some fallout from them having the Black Lives Matter rep on multiple times after what just happened in Milwaukee.

EDIT: https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2016/aug/15/nightly-show-larry-wilmore-cancelled-comedy-central

Looks like it just wasn't a Colbert-level hit. Did they really expect it to be? And how many more reruns can they play on that damn channel? 

Also, didn't know Larry wrote for In Living Color and Fresh Prince...

39 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Not to get political, but I wonder if this is some fallout from them having the Black Lives Matter rep on multiple times after what just happened in Milwaukee.

I've haven't watched The Nightly Show (or a lot of the CC late night shows) since I dropped my cable subscription, but if it was Deray or any of those folks, I believe they would be happy to have them on. Those are the black people they are willing to show as "leaders" of a movement that they infringed upon and stole the name of. The people in Milwaukee actually doing something to combat all the shit going on in their communities ≠ Black Lives Matter. Same as all these other places with mini race riots. Those are the people that show up afterwards and wait for the poignant photo ops.

They don't need any fallout to get rid of a show. If Wilmore's show was actually doing something from the beginning, they would have gotten rid of it a long time ago. Granted I haven't seen the show in awhile, rarely did he have anyone on that actually had anything of substance to say. Just a person here or there, which is why I didn't bother to keep up with it. Comedy Central is talking about it didn't resonate. No shit. The same thing is going to happen to Barkley's bullshit show (to Wilmore's credit, he isn't a straight up Benedict Arnold, house servant, and puppet like Barkley from what I've seen). You can't speak towards black people on a halfway ass basis just to satisfy and appease sponsors. The ratings will always be in the shitter. If there was a "black" Daily Show or Last Week Tonight, there would be too many upset white people. That's just the way it is. Wilmore's show is just a casualty of they didn't know what demo to target (other than the half ass attempt at a black audience) so they invited on comedians and random people to find one. Didn't work out. 

I'm sure the uproar over his use of the "n" word at the white house correspondents dinner didn't help.(Sorry if that's too political, it just seemed like it might be a factor) I'm not in the target demo, but I've not been a steady viewer of the CC late night shows, at least since Jon Stewart's early days. Weird timing though, this close to the election. . . 

20 minutes ago, Kuetsar said:

I'm sure the uproar over his use of the "n" word at the white house correspondents dinner didn't help.(Sorry if that's too political, it just seemed like it might be a factor) I'm not in the target demo, but I've not been a steady viewer of the CC late night shows, at least since Jon Stewart's early days. Weird timing though, this close to the election. . . 

An uproar...by who exactly? 

That was in the news cycle for all of six hours.

2 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

An uproar...by who exactly? 

I remember the mainstream media was in a tizzy for a couple of days afterward. I use the word uproar because a search of google, not using that phrase had a quite a few stories using "uproar".  I guess my point is that when your program is on the bubble, and controversy probably didn't help. . . 

9 minutes ago, Kuetsar said:

I remember the mainstream media was in a tizzy for a couple of days afterward. I use the word uproar because a search of google, not using that phrase had a quite a few stories using "uproar".  I guess my point is that when your program is on the bubble, and controversy probably didn't help. . . 

It wasn't a controversy. A black dude used a word typically associated with black people in reference to a black person who happens to be an elected official. It was a joke. It got laughs or jeers. Black people call each other the n word no matter their social status or class. Welcome to a century ago. Either way it went, people moved on with their lives. Anyway, that was months ago. TBH I thought that shit happened close to the end of 2015 or in early 2016. People don't give a shit about what Larry Wilmore said at some novelty dinner with the president. If they did, it would have translated to ratings.

3 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

It wasn't a controversy. A black dude used a word typically associated with black people in reference to a black person who happens to be an elected official. It was a joke. It got laughs or jeers. Black people call each other the n word no matter their social status or class. Welcome to a century ago. Either way it went, people moved on with their lives. Anyway, that was months ago. TBH I thought that shit happened close to the end of 2015 or in early 2016. People don't give a shit about what Larry Wilmore said at some novelty dinner with the president. If they did, it would have translated to ratings.

Fair enough. . . . 

2 hours ago, peterien said:

In need of advice on what series to binge next, options are;

The Leftovers 

Gomorrah 

Narcos

Peaky Blinders

Am open to other opinions too. Thanks 

Out of those the only one I've seen is Peaky Blinders but I loved the shit out of it; fantastic performances, incredibly well written, and amazing visuals. If you have issues with various English accents you might want to use the subtitles, I didn't have a problem, but my wife found she missed a lot when she didn't use them.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, peterien said:

In need of advice on what series to binge next, options are;

The Leftovers 

Gomorrah 

Narcos

Peaky Blinders

Am open to other opinions too. Thanks 

If you plan on watching Narcos when it starts back on 9/2, you probably want to knock that out of the way quickly. 

• Like 1

On August 16, 2016 at 9:16 AM, (BP) said:

Has anyone been watching Vice Principals on HBO? It took about four episodes to really hit its stride, but it's a must-watch for me now. Danny McBride and Walton Goggins are brilliant together. 

Agreed, I really hope HBO keeps it around for a few seasons. 

2 hours ago, odessasteps said:

Fell down youtube rabbit hole watching In Search of episodes.

so funny in hindsight, even the ones that scared me as a kid. 

The one with the fucking fire ants freaked me the fuck out as a young lad and the Nostradamus episode scarred me for life.

The Blindspot is moving from Thursdays to Wednesdays on NBC and Archie Punjabi from The Good Wife is joining the cast.

I've also now realized how often they reused the stock footage.

i think i've seen same Easter Island heads and Inca pyramids in three or four episodes, including the one about Atlantis. 

Ha. "In search of the next ice age." Well, since this was made in the late 70s, after the 1977 blizzard, i can understand the temptation. 

I was watching the latest season of Bates Motel. .

One interesting thing about Psycho: Norman Bates always worked as a sympathetic character because he was insane. He didn't know he was insane. And you can't hate an insane person.

Then, at the end of season 4, you get the implication: "Yes, Norman is vaguely aware, on some level, of what is going on here. He's manipulating people. He's lying. He's covering up. He's ill, sure, but now he's eagerly going along with it all."

In that respect, the TV show is a whole lot sicker than the film or Hitchcock, in general.