DVDVR Message Board

[Best of] THE TOP 330 MOVIES OF THE 1990s

RIPPA

180) DIE HARD: WITH A VENGEANCE
1995 - 208 Points - 3 Votes (Highest Vote: #8 Newb82)

DIRECTOR: John McTiernan
STARRING: Bruce Willis, Jeremy Irons, Samuel L. Jackson
Placement On Original List: N/A

I really love this movie and I THINK I voted for it.  That said, I haven't seen it, I mean really seen it (sans commercials, editing, nipping in and catching 20 minutes here or there), in quite a while.  My favourite (edited) scene still has to be the scene where the evil mastermind makes McLane wear the sign in the ghetto that says "I hate everybody" (Instead of n-words) and angry black guys who attack him.  I like to re-imagine their dialogue as they swarm him: "Yo dawg, that's straight-up misanthropic!  How can you hate everybody?!"

179) MABOROSI (Maboroshi no hikari)
1995 - 208 Points - 3 Votes (Highest Vote: #2 ohtani's jacket)

DIRECTOR: Hirokazu Koreeda
STARRING: Makiko Esumi, Takashi Naitô, Tadanobu Asano 
Placement On Original List: #214 (2 Votes)

NOTE FROM RIPPA - Kawada went from high vote to low vote. So clearly he now hates this movie

Probably should have been on my list, but I think it got bumped from the final whittling.  I know I completely deleted a movie from my list and still have yet to figure out which one it was...maybe it was this.

177) TRUE LIES
1994 - 211 Points - 5 Votes (Highest Vote: #25 Jingus)

DIRECTOR: James Cameron
STARRING: Arnold Schwarzenegger, Jamie Lee Curtis, Tom Arnold
Placement On Original List: #231 (5 Votes)

NOTE FROM RIPPA - Mmm... Jamie Lee Curtis

I like 'True Lies', though the Jamie Lee Curtis scene has been forever ruined by the parody on the Critic with Tony Curtis: "I used to dance like this for Kirk Douglas!"

175) IN THE COMPANY OF MEN
1997 - 213 Points - 5 Votes (Highest Vote: #22 EricR)

DIRECTOR: Neil LaBute
STARRING: Aaron Eckhart, Matt Malloy, Stacy Edwards
Placement On Original List: #274 (3 Votes)

NOTE FROM RIPPA - Basically if Kawada liked a movie last time, someone liked it more this time.

Man, this movie is a nasty piece of business.  I can't remember if I voted for it again, or knocked it off the list entirely, because of its nastiness.

173) NOBODY'S FOOL
1994 - 215 Points - 4 Votes (Highest Vote: #19 EricR)

DIRECTOR: Robert Benton
STARRING: Paul Newman, Bruce Willis, Jessica Tandy

I SHOULD have seen this by now and probably WOULD have voted for it by now.  Last year at the big annual book sale, I went on a mad dash to the DVDs and grabbed everything interesting (at  a buck apiece!) and went "Ooh, 'Nobody's Fool', I've been wanting to see that!", got home, looked at the box and went "Awwwwww crap!"

Posted Image

Posted Image

169) WELCOME TO THE DOLLHOUSE
1995 - 222 Points - 5 Votes (Highest Vote: #27 EricR)

DIRECTOR: Todd Solondz
STARRING: Heather Matarazzo, Christina Brucato, Victoria Davis

NOTE FROM RIPPA - I know I have said this before but I went on a first date to see this movie (her choice). It was probably the most... interesting date I went on.

Posted Image

167) INSOMNIA
1997 - 223 Points - 3 Votes (Highest Vote: #18 Control)

DIRECTOR: Erik Skjoldbjærg
STARRING: Stellan Skarsgård, Maria Mathiesen, Sverre Anker Ousdal

NOTE FROM RIPPA - It wasn't until this poll did I learn that Christopher Nolan version was a remake. Of course - I was still as all get out as I was like "Why are people voting for a 2002 movie?" Took me a minute...

167) INSOMNIA

NOTE FROM RIPPA - It wasn't until this poll did I learn that Christopher Nolan version was a remake. Of course - I was still as all get out as I was like "Why are people voting for a 2002 movie?" Took me a minute...

I knew for years Christopher Nolan's Insomnia was a remake of this but I stopped for two seconds reading the entry thinking it was the Nolan version. That's a sign I need sleep of my own!

169) WELCOME TO THE DOLLHOUSE
1995 - 222 Points - 5 Votes (Highest Vote: #27 EricR)

DIRECTOR: Todd Solondz
STARRING: Heather Matarazzo, Christina Brucato, Victoria Davis

NOTE FROM RIPPA - I know I have said this before but I went on a first date to see this movie (her choice). It was probably the most... interesting date I went on.

Oh God, what a date that must have been!  When the guy keeps saying "I'm gonna rape you", and she sprains her finger from...well, you know.  Weird little flick.  I'd like to watch it again.

167) INSOMNIA

DIRECTOR: Erik Skjoldbjærg
STARRING: Stellan Skarsgård, Maria Mathiesen, Sverre Anker Ousdal

I know I've seen this, but I honestly don't remember anything about it.  Though, to be fair, I don't really remember much about the remake either, and that had Hilary Swank, Al Pacino and Patch Adams.

I just remembered a documentary that I didn't vote for that I should have. I feel like I bumble fucked my way through this poll. Or maybe it should just be referred to as JT'ing.

Posted Image

164) PLEASANTVILLE
1998 - 229 Points - 5 Votes (Highest Vote: #30 Rippa)

DIRECTOR: Gary Ross
STARRING: Tobey Maguire, Jeff Daniels, Joan Allen
Placement On Original List: #119 (8 Votes)

NOTE FROM RIPPA - I went to see Pleasantville on my first date with my wife. This concludes Rippa's dating history presented via film.