DVDVR Message Board

[Best of] THE TOP 330 MOVIES OF THE 1990s

RIPPA

Has anyones entire ballot ever shown up on one of these countdowns? I don't expect mine will.

It is usually tradition to post your ballot after the countdown is done, but not during.

I am not terribly shocked that Face-Off didn't rank higher.  I love the movie, but there are some implausibly insane action sequences in it and the plot can get muddled in the downtime.  The gunfights are wonderful but the boat chase is proof positive that you shouldn't give John Woo a budget of over ten million dollars.

And Holy Shit, the doves and another church shootout.  All that movie needed was Aaron Kwok to show up as Mad Dog in order to be a pastiche of every John Woo movie ever made. 

It is still my secret wish to own a pair of the custom Springfields that Castor Troy used.

Posted Image

Is When We Were Kings the closest to its original spot this far? Also you all suck for not voting for it.

It might be so far (I need to actually compile the comparison rankings but I have been too lazy)

That being said - I know for a fact there are some movies coming up that are in the same spot as last time.

Is When We Were Kings the closest to its original spot this far? Also you all suck for not voting for it.

A pure sports movie? I think so.  And yeah, I suck for forgetting to vote for a movie with Ali in it.

A pure sports movie? I think so.  And yeah, I suck for forgetting to vote for a movie with Ali in it.

My whole conversation with started with "your lack of sports movies makes me sad"

My whole conversation with started with "your lack of sports movies makes me sad"

You sent me a very similar statement...

Posted Image

181) IMMORTAL BELOVED
1994 - 208 Points - 3 Votes (Highest Vote: #15 Kyle Casey)

DIRECTOR: Bernard Rose
STARRING: Gary Oldman, Jeroen Krabbé, Isabella Rossellini
Placement On Original List: N/A

NOTE FROM RIPPA - Kyle is so in the running to be my best friend... despite my desire to keep writing his name as Kyle Carter.

Posted Image

179) MABOROSI (Maboroshi no hikari)
1995 - 208 Points - 3 Votes (Highest Vote: #2 ohtani's jacket)

DIRECTOR: Hirokazu Koreeda
STARRING: Makiko Esumi, Takashi Naitô, Tadanobu Asano 
Placement On Original List: #214 (2 Votes)

NOTE FROM RIPPA - Kawada went from high vote to low vote. So clearly he now hates this movie

Posted Image

176) WHITE MEN CAN'T JUMP
1992 - 211 Points - 4 Votes (Highest Vote: #28 JR Goldman)

DIRECTOR: Ron Shelton
STARRING: Wesley Snipes, Woody Harrelson, Rosie Perez
Placement On Original List: #232 (4 Votes)

NOTE FROM RIPPA - So for those paying attention, you will see that True Lies and White Men Can't Jump are back to back again... only this time WMCJ had the better placement.

Has anyones entire ballot ever shown up on one of these countdowns? I don't expect mine will.

It is usually tradition to post your ballot after the countdown is done, but not during.

That wasn't precisely what I meant, but no worries. I voted for Face/Off, but it was way down on my ballot. 

179) MABOROSI (Maboroshi no hikari)
1995 - 208 Points - 3 Votes (Highest Vote: #2 ohtani's jacket)

NOTE FROM RIPPA - Kawada went from high vote to low vote. So clearly he now hates this movie

Guess that makes me the man in the middle. This is a really beautiful film but I'm not surprised it only recieved 3 votes.

While I'm pleased that it made it to 176, ahead of some pretty stiff competition, I think White Men Can't Jump could do better. 

WHAT IS THIS A MASON'S CONVENTION?

Wow, I'm amazed someone had MEN IN TIGHTS higher than I did.

I thought the exact same thing...until looking at my ballot and realizing I somehow missed voting for it.

I'm very sad now. 

180) DIE HARD: WITH A VENGEANCE
1995 - 208 Points - 3 Votes (Highest Vote: #8 Newb82)

I wanted to watch Die Hard with a Vengeance again but I wasn't able to so had to rely on memory. I'm one of the three voters for it and it's the best of the sequels.

178) ROBIN HOOD: MEN IN TIGHTS
1993 - 209 Points - 3 Votes (Highest Vote: #16 Kyle Casey)

I should have voted for this. Bugger.

Posted Image

175) IN THE COMPANY OF MEN
1997 - 213 Points - 5 Votes (Highest Vote: #22 EricR)

DIRECTOR: Neil LaBute
STARRING: Aaron Eckhart, Matt Malloy, Stacy Edwards
Placement On Original List: #274 (3 Votes)

NOTE FROM RIPPA - Basically if Kawada liked a movie last time, someone liked it more this time.