Jump to content
DVDVR Message Board

CWC EPISODE THREE- 1st Round (7/27/16)


RIPPA
 Share

Recommended Posts

Jim Breaks getting some love from Mauro and Bryan on commentary, followed by ZSJ doing the Breaks fucking Special, was the best part of this show, which isn't a slight. I just think Jim Breaks should get more love from everyone all the time. If I were doing a list of moves that more people should steal for a finisher, the Breaks Special would be number one, right in front of the slingshot suplex at number two. 

I love watching ZSJ and hope he signs because when they get him to figure out when to do stuff to make it more meaningful, he'll be the best guy on the roster. Dux is always solid whenever I run across him online and was no different here. 

Man, I love Gulak. I really liked this match where the optimistic dude who was outweighed showed toughness and grit and flips, but then the grizzled mat worker fucked his shit up with a submission. 

I don't rif I've seen Tony Nese before, but dude was impressive. Nice deadlift suplex, sweet flips. He has the look they value, but can also do the high-flying stuff they like. He should be signed because he seems like he'd be a good base for the other cruisers on RAW in that division. Awkward finish there. I couldn't see how Bennett got hurt on the powerslam even with the replay. 

I want to see more Raul Mendoza. I enjoyed the fuck out of that dude. Kendrick is really good as a mean and wily vet. They should have him back on Smackdown, honestly. They need the help. I think this was my favorite match so far in the first round. Mendoza was clearly better, but Kendrick basically used a trick that he picked up like twelve years ago that someone probably used to beat him and got a desperation submission. Fantastic. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

I am really digging Kendrick's story lol.  Good showing for Mendoza also. 

Sabre Jr's technique was toned down a bit here and I think that's for the better.  I enjoyed that match quite a bit. But I'm wondering how Sabre Jr. works on the big stage.

Well when you have someone on commentary say stuff like they might not understand what is going on, it doesn't help Sabre Jr chances.  Except for a couple people, the RAW and Smackdown commentators aren't really known for educating fans on styles and purpose

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I like ZSJ ok but he can go a bit overboard and convoluted sometimes.  The crowd seemed pretty dead for him (I realize that long show fatigue could have something to do with that) but I'm not sure if his style will get over in this market or not.  This was my first time seeing Dux wrestle and he was quite impressive.  As much as he's been around he'd be a valuable asset to NXT.

Gulak has always impressed me and I'm glad to see him get the win here.  It's a shame he's probably going to lose in the second round, but hopefully he'll impress enough for them to keep him around.

Neese looked good and I'm very surprised he made the weigh in as he always looked a lot bigger when I saw him in PWG.  Bennett looked really green.

It's odd to see Brian Kendrick playing the surly veteran role, but he did a damn good job of it here.  Mendoza also looked impressive and I hope we see more of him at some point.  Regardless of how Kendrick fares in the tournament, they really need to bring him back full time.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Kendrick/Mendoza was the easy MOTN. Too bad Bennett got hurt he looked ok early on then everything went to shit. Gulak was impressive.

ZSJ is a cocky shit built like a 12 year old and I want to see him get his face smashed at some point in the turney. Also his selling and facials were bush league. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

34 minutes ago, Smelly McUgly said:

I love watching ZSJ and hope he signs because when they get him to figure out when to do stuff to make it more meaningful, he'll be the best guy on the roster.

He was about the fourth best guy on this show. I really have a hard time believing toothpick man could do any damage to a grown man.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, JCM said:

He was about the fourth best guy on this show. I really have a hard time believing toothpick man could do any damage to a grown man.

Look, I want to be the first to say that I am extremely biased toward the WoS style of wrestling and I think that there are many valid criticisms of ZSJ that one could make. However, your criticism comes while speaking about a tournament with a fair number of sub-170 pound dudes with light offense flipping around and really doesn't make much sense. Half these guys probably couldn't do much damage if ZSJ can't. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I will say: Yeah, ZSJ to me is clearly good at what he does, but I just don't see anything resembling upside in him personally right now in the WWE. Also, his wrestling to me is out right too "pretty". I've heard people say watching him is like watching art. That's great and all, but I don't watch wrestling most of the time to see Art, I watch it to see a fight. ZSJ's match today did not ever really feel like a fight.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awesome main event. Mendoza did the lucha indies proud. Loved Kendrick's dirty tactics and the whole scraggly back-alley hobo vibe he had going on. That was my favorite match of the tournament so far. I really like Sabre, but I don't know if the WoS tribute act would work in a WWE ring. I get the feeling Gallagher is going to do a better job of it anyways.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Smelly McUgly said:

Look, I want to be the first to say that I am extremely biased toward the WoS style of wrestling and I think that there are many valid criticisms of ZSJ that one could make. However, your criticism comes while speaking about a tournament with a fair number of sub-170 pound dudes with light offense flipping around and really doesn't make much sense. Half these guys probably couldn't do much damage if ZSJ can't. 

I think the criticism is that Sabre Jr's build just doesn't look great by WWE standards. I mean I know WWE isn't land of the giants anymore, but Sabre Jr. just looks scrawny. Compare it to even a guy like Neese, who even undersized, I could buy at least being a challenge for most anyone on the roster physically.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, El Dragon said:

I think the criticism is that Sabre Jr's build just doesn't look great by WWE standards. I mean I know WWE isn't land of the giants anymore, but Sabre Jr. just looks scrawny. Compare it to even a guy like Neese, who even undersized, I could buy at least being a challenge for most anyone on the roster physically.

Half the dudes in the tournament have really slender builds. If the work is good, you believe in it and the build doesn't matter IMO.

Now, if you don't like ZSJ's work and don't believe in the presentation that he's a great counter-wrestler with millions of holds, yeah, the package falls apart. And honestly, I can see that. He doesn't struggle for holds enough, is my own big criticism. The best guys in the WoS mold that I've seen, Breaks being number one, knew when to be cute and when to struggle and scrap, and ZSJ doesn't. But I think that he can get that quality after a few months in the company. 

But his build has nothing to do with it, I don't think. There are quite a few guys in the company with mediocre builds who I believe are wrecking balls because their work exudes it. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Kind of a dud episode, except for the main event.  ZSJ doesn't do a lot for me, Gulak and A Bollywood Boy were incompatible, and Bennett looked completey unbelievable in there against Nese.

I love the character Kendrick is playing in this.  The promos set him up as a classic babyface archetype, and then he comes out and cheats his balls off and does virtually nothing flashy to get cheered, letting Mendoza get all the shine.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

1 minute ago, Smelly McUgly said:

Half the dudes in the tournament have really slender builds. If the work is good, you believe in it and the build doesn't matter IMO.

Now, if you don't like ZSJ's work and don't believe in the presentation that he's a great counter-wrestler with millions of holds, yeah, the package falls apart. And honestly, I can see that. He doesn't struggle for holds enough, is my own big criticism. The best guys in the WoS mold that I've seen, Breaks being number one, knew when to be cute and when to struggle and scrap, and ZSJ doesn't. But I think that he can get that quality after a few months in the company. 

But his build has nothing to do with it, I don't think. There are quite a few guys in the company with mediocre builds who I believe are wrecking balls because their work exudes it. 

I think we are just gonna have to disagree on this one. The only comparable build I can really think of to Sabre is Zayn, and Zayns is significantly better look for him due to some weight behind him. Just watching this show with some people who were really hoping to really dig Sabre, and their mindset was that he had the worst physical build in the tournament so far, and just looked incredibly indy based on it, and I couldn't really disagree.

I'll put it this way. Zach Sabre Jr. looks like someone who doesn't look like he could win a fight. Except he was working a dominant role in the match. That is a bad combo.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...