DVDVR Message Board

2016 NFL PRESEASON THREAD

RIPPA

7 minutes ago, Gonzo said:

Ian Rapoport is reporting that Josh Gordon is being reinstated and will miss the first four games of the season.

Nearly put this in the stupidity section, but I have a feeling this whole thing is going to end up back there sooner or later anyway.

Josh Gordon is one of those dudes who everyone who meets him is impressed by him, but then he makes an incredibly stupid decision and you can't understand how he fooled you.  The worst part is that his mistakes would be minor issues if he didn't have so many minor issues stacked on top of each other.

I know the guy that writes W.Y.T.S. is a Vikings fan but I'm hoping the Packers piece this year is a little more creative than "I hope Packers fans kill themselves LOLOLOLOL I AM FUNNY ON THE INTERNET" for a third year running. But as the series ages it seems to be dipping further and further in "People of Walmart" style culture nastiness and less and less actual good football jokes.

• Like 1

Randy Gregory of the Cowboys, who's already suspended for the first four games of the season for violating the substance abuse policy, has checked into a treatment facility and will not be at Training Camp.

According to Schefter, he's now also facing a longer suspension.

On 7/25/2016 at 5:33 PM, Death From Above said:

I know the guy that writes W.Y.T.S. is a Vikings fan but I'm hoping the Packers piece this year is a little more creative than "I hope Packers fans kill themselves LOLOLOLOL I AM FUNNY ON THE INTERNET" for a third year running. But as the series ages it seems to be dipping further and further in "People of Walmart" style culture nastiness and less and less actual good football jokes.

Only so much material to work with I suppose if you're not an extremely gifted and creative writer. He needs a writing staff. The position is open for you if you want it. Probably. They probably can't pay.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Gonzo said:

Randy Gregory of the Cowboys, who's already suspended for the first four games of the season for violating the substance abuse policy, has checked into a treatment facility and will not be at Training Camp.

According to Schefter, he's now also facing a longer suspension.

How nice of them.

• Like 1

Question of the day (inspired by Jets fans attacking Fitz on Twitter): why do NFL fans constantly side with management over the players? In other sports I can kinda see it but you have a sport that a) causes brain damage and b) treats their players as disposable hunks of meat. How can anyone be against any player getting as much money as they possibly can?

Because we've been given a narrative over the years where these guys are privileged millionaires who should be grateful they get to play a game for a living.  This skips the fact that an even richer person "owns this person" and their rights (and everything implied by that).  

I can devolve into the politics of this, but this isn't that kind of board and what I've said more than says or implies and everything I want to say.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Ryan said:

Only so much material to work with I suppose if you're not an extremely gifted and creative writer. He needs a writing staff. The position is open for you if you want it. Probably. They probably can't pay.

Unpaid work? E X P O S U R E? Getting yelled at by angry Steelers fans? Being threatened?

SIGN ME UP

I'll need all your CC #'s, your SS #, your bank accounts and a copy of your birth certificate. We'll get back to you within 6 months or whenever you find a $1000 bill for Yinzer apparel on your accounts.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, sabremike said:

Question of the day (inspired by Jets fans attacking Fitz on Twitter): why do NFL fans constantly side with management over the players? In other sports I can kinda see it but you have a sport that a) causes brain damage and b) treats their players as disposable hunks of meat. How can anyone be against any player getting as much money as they possibly can?

Because if player X doesn't sign for less than far market value and leaves he's hurting my team and therefore hurting me.  I'm not looking at you at all Josh.  Nope. Not at all.

20 minutes ago, Shadow said:

Because if player X doesn't sign for less than far market value and leaves he's hurting my team and therefore hurting me.  I'm not looking at you at all Josh.  Nope. Not at all.

Hurting ME? Unless the trade is going to probably lead to you spending your golden years in assisted living there is no comparison. The idea that players need to hurt themselves financialy in addition to physically for fans is just wrong, particularly in the NFL where players are used and discarded like garbage.