DVDVR Message Board

WWE BATTLEGROUND 2016

RIPPA

Clearly I missed something. How did Cena try to "leech" Enzo's heat? I saw the #1 guy in the business standing in the corner letting two newbies cut the promo of their life, and laughing his ass off at it. Maybe I need to watch it again, but I think people just need to find something, anything to bitch about Cena.

Great show tonight. Breeze and Fandango winning on the pre-show was a massive surprise. I assume this is leading to an Usos heel turn. Bailey as the secret partner was definitely the right call. Imagine how deflated that crowd would have been if any of the other names bandied about walked out there?

Zayn/Owens was outstanding. Everything else was at least good.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, piranesi said:

If I had known that Bob Backlund could teach you how to become wield the power of total psychotic break from reality I would have signed up for life-coaching years ago.

I don't have nearly enough likes for this. Also it's sad, but I can say there is continuity for this from 1994 from when Bob wen't crazy. Darren looking at his hands is the same thing Backlund did after he put Bret in the chickenwing after that first match they had and he realized the power he once had. Slolwy but surely he realized he had the power of a GOD in those hands.

If we get Darren Young snapping and putting who ever the WWE's version of Arnie Skaaland in the back is in the chicken wing and than Zack Ryder playing the part of Sparkplug Holly saying "how could you do that to that man", it will be all worth it.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Dewar said:

Clearly I missed something. How did Cena try to "leech" Enzo's heat?

When he went in to raise Enzo's hand during the middle of his promo for no reason. I'm sure Cena thought he was giving a rub, but it felt pretty tacky and the crowd reaction in that brief moment reflected that.

Aside from the Natalya-Becky snoozefest, this was one hell of a fun show. Zayn vs KO was better than Zayn-Nakaruma, and is probably my MOTY, so far. 

Roman definitely looked as if he'd packed on a few pounds, but it's not like he's Yokozuna or anything. 

I think we see AJ Styles as WWE champ before the end of the year. 

So this was a fun PPV.

The Sami Zayn/KO match...

giphy.gif

So much gay. It was beautiful. I mean...

tumblr_oaujrmmAwy1rfrhmao1_1280.png

Come on! This entire feud is going to get a GLAAD award.

Oh it was a fantastic match as well. The whole Kevin Owens slapping Sami begging him to stay down.

tumblr_inline_oaujptFTK61qba2yv_500.gif

Damn, this topped Nak vs Zayn for me. Good shit.

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, Go2Sleep said:

When he went in to raise Enzo's hand during the middle of his promo for no reason. I'm sure Cena thought he was giving a rub, but it felt pretty tacky and the crowd reaction in that brief moment reflected that.

So it's petty whining that's better off being ignored, eh? Gotcha.

That was an excellent show.  Sami vs. Owens was a definite MOTYC.  Not only did they bring the in-ring work and some HOLY SHIT moments but Sami's selling of the arm was great and the finish was spectacular storytelling. 

It's BAYLEY.  Real fun much.   Speaking of the women, I have to hand it to Becky and Nattie. They had a nice match and brought the people in which was going to be difficult as fuck after Owens/Zayn.

Enzo is just ridiculous. What a star.

Shield triple threat picked up near the end.  I love that Ambrose won, it was the right call for the brand split era. 

• Like 1

Sami Zayn vs. Kevin Owens and the long awaited Shield Triple Threat delivered. Zayn vs. Owens was definitely a MOTY candidate ending with Zayn's exploder into the turnbuckle, the half and half suplex followed by two Helluva kicks.

I really enjoyed the main event between the former Shield members and callbacks to their run, the powerbomb through the announcers table to Reigns and Seth's chair shots to both. I'm surprised Dean Ambrose retained the WWE World Heavyweight Championship. I'm also surprised at Dean's comeback from losing the big matches, booked goofy to winning this title out of nowhere and beating Roman clean. I thought Dean would be the Shield member who did the least compared to the positioning of Reigns and Rollins.

It's Bayley!!! Holy shit at the pop. Touching seeing Sasha Banks smiling reaction to Bayley's entrance.

One thing that I liked about the main event, was that Ambrose, as "crazy" as he is, is still willing to dump Reigns through a table with assistance from his blood brother enemy. 

I don't know who you can compare it to, perhaps someone can. But I like that they can still, in the heat of battle and given the circumstances, team up. 

For example, that match last year(?) when they triple power bombed Orton(?) and did the Shield pose, even if Seth got beat down immediately afterwards. It was still awesome. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Burgundy LaRue said:

Worst camera angle of the night is when they missed KO's superkick as Zayn went for the Tornado DDT.  That was bush league.

Well they had to make up for the fact that they didn't fuck up the shot of the Bayley/Sasha hug

• Like 2

Just finished the Zayn-KO epic. Brutal stuff, on a par with the final battle and ladder war matches.

The amount of implicit trust those two gentlemen have for each other is staggering. A real beauty to watch. I don't think Zayn will be doing the springboard Arabian press again for a while...that looked scary as all fuck.

=-

Orton's "no enhancement necessary" quip. He's going to get buttfucked by Lesnar, isnt he?

• Like 1

I honestly started to tear up a bit at BAYLEY's debut. Seeing how happy Sasha was for the pop she got, knowing how long Bayley has been in NXT and waiting for the call up, having watched the entire Bayley run from the beginning in NXT to now, having just listened to her Talk Is Jericho interview......I was just so happy for her. And yeah man, that pop. When was the last time any woman has gotten that sort of reaction? They know they have something special with her. Damn I hope they don't screw it up.

The Owens/Zayn match was amazing, but imagine how much better and poetic of an ending it would've been if they had been drafted to separate shows and this was a true blowoff match to their feud. As it stands, now they'll both be on RAW again tonight and Owens could, if he wanted, attack Sami for revenge and keep things going. If they were on different shows, they would now be kept apart for months and this would've meant so much more.

I am very far from an Orton fan. He has never done anything for me as a performer. But last night he was actually entertaining and showed personality. I'll give him that. And with Brock's recent issues, it makes me wonder if Orton becomes the one to beat the unbeatable Brock at SummerSlam to the move to a feud with Ambrose for the WWE Title?

The triple threat was good and got great at the end. VERY surprised with Ambrose getting the clean win. He got the clean win on Rollins on Smackdown and now the clean win on Reigns here. They seem to be going all in with Ambrose. And with them being all brand loyalty and making it such a big deal that Ambrose "brought the title to Smackdown", it makes me think the Champ will not float between shows and RAW will crown it's own Champ. Probably a one on one between Reigns and Rollins again at SummerSlam.

Overall, I thought this was a top 3 show for the year. Every match was good to great and the booking of those matches actually made decent sense (other than Darren Young actually being in an IC title match in 2016 and Becky tapping to Natalya). Curious to see what happens next, and that's something I haven't been in regards to WWE in quite some time. I hope they're able to keep it up.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Go2Sleep said:

The only thing I didn't like was Cena shamelessly trying to leech Enzo's heat. Jesus John, you've been in the spotlight for 11 fucking years, sit in the corner and let the kid have a moment.

5 hours ago, Go2Sleep said:

I can't believe this narrative is still alive.

• Like 1

I wonder if they hold off on a RAW belt for a month and the narrative is Steph trying to get a SHIELD rematch at Summerslam for a last chance to get the belt back.

• Like 1