DVDVR Message Board

WWE BATTLEGROUND 2016

RIPPA

28 minutes ago, The Z said:

I also thought about that, but wouldn't that turn AJ face? That would be his second turn in a very short timespan and all the other main event level stars on Smackdown (Ambrose, Cena, Orton) are also faces, so I don't think it will happen.

Nothing about this draft screams "thought out well in advance," so I don't think that will be an issue. Plus AJ doesn't necessarily have to turn again. He can just say I never needed those guys, I'm the only reason they're here, etc... Then just start feuding with another face like nothing happened.

That may be the only way to save the feud at this point after already burning it out.  A nuanced year of Owens & Sami being forced to team up and eventually going from reluctant partners to friends again only for Owens to turn again on Sami (in the Rumble), win the title at WrestleMania, Sami winning money in the bank and cashing in for a proper match (playing back to his days in NXT of always playing fair even to his own detriment) and finally defeating Owens clean in the middle of the ring for the WWE title at next SummerSlam in Brooklyn.

I mean...it's really too easy.

• Like 4

That would still have Kevin and Sami around each other, but if you wanted to go in that direction sure.  I'm still of the belief they should have been on separate brands to avoid burnout.  But because whoever kept them together are idiots, I'd rather they stay away from each other anyway.

As for who The Club can mess with, why not the triple threat title match?  They focus their attack on Dean who gets pissed and him and AJ feud.  Then for Rollins/Reigns they could do the begrudging teamup to try and take The Club out and go back to their feud later.

1 hour ago, NickMD said:

As for who The Club can mess with, why not the triple threat title match?  They focus their attack on Dean who gets pissed and him and AJ feud.  Then for Rollins/Reigns they could do the begrudging teamup to try and take The Club out and go back to their feud later.

I would put the possibility of Gallows & Anderson teaming up with Reigns on the table, leaving Rollins searching for a friend to help him.  Enter Finn Balor, who ultimately turns on Rollins and joins The Bulletproof Shield.  Eventually, the new Shield turn on Reigns and he has to enlist Rollins & Ambrose's help in taking them down.  Styles can be the wildcard in the story.

• Like 1

Have they announced any Pre-Show matches yet? I kinda want a six man tag cuz we have two on the main show. Brezango and Baron Corbin vs Golden Truth and Dolph Ziggler would suffice. Or just give us like a 13 minute 8 man tag between Brezango Sheamus and Baron Corbin vs Golden Truth Dolph Ziggler and Apollo Cewes would be cool. Who doesn't like a random mid carder multi man tag?

I didn't think she was the mystery partner till now, but, yeah, going on Jericho's show to vent about how frustrated she is about not being called up seems like some sort of carny code for "We're calling you up".

Most people think Ambrose is losing the title because you have to put the world title on RAW and not on that nothing (in their minds) show Smackdown

I personally want Reigns to win because the shit storm from the fans and media will be incredible and completely deserving.  I had been in the camp that Reigns is getting crapped on unfairly even though he has had the best matches of the year but that was thrown out the window when they tried making a guy failing a drug test as a sympathetic figure

I think the current belt does make its way back to Raw, as it has the lineage that they'll want to keep with Rollins and Reigns.  They'll create a tournament for Smackdown that will have Cena likely win his 16th world championship with Styles getting a couple of runs in short order. 

Meanwhile, they may do a schmozz finish at Battleground that will lead to Rollins-Reigns at Summer Slam and possibly Steph duping Rollins into thinking she supports him, only to pull the okie-doke and side with Reigns.

The only thing I really want out of this PPV is Bayley being Sasha's partner. It's going to get a little dusty for me if that's the case. I definitely think her not coming up with Becky/Sasha/Charlotte was ultimately the best possible decision for her and the WWE Woman's Division in general. There is now so much anticipation for Bayley's call-up. Is it the most anticipated call-up from anyone ever in NXT? Maybe The Wyatts after their initial awesome promos? But that was before NXT moved from cult-favorite into a legitimate brand of its own (and Bayley's one of the reasons why). If it's her, I think it will be one of the biggest pops in memory.

Becky became a really great face. I know I'm in the minority but I think Charlotte has become an outstanding heel, and Dana Brooke is one of the best stoodges in years. Sasha got bit by injuries but she's still one of the most over acts in the company. They had to establish three new characters in a crowded division not given a lot of time. It was a process getting there but they eventually did. Bringing in a fourth in Bayley would make that even harder.

And leaving Bayley down in NXT made their roster even better. Nia has had five matches that were as good as anything the NXT women put out except for the three Sasha classics. Four of those involve Bayley. (Her three singles matches and the secretly awesome tag w/ Eva Marie and Carmella). Alexa really became something special her last few appearances and a lot of those were with Bayley. I think Carmella still needs some time but she's also improved a ton from where she started at.

Bayley is a fantastic professional wrestler.

I will be pissed if it's Nikki Bella. I'll give her credit for really becoming good in the ring, but she left off still lame as a character and was terrible for years. I'll be cool if it's Nia coming in as Sasha's bad-ass second, but I won't be as happy if it's Bayley. No one's mentioning Asuka in this.

• Like 2

Meltzer said on the radio show that Bayley is the obvious choice (which Nia Jax being 2nd obvious)

So if they aren't going that route (to do the surprise and to play into Sasha's tweet then the most likely answer is

Spoiler

Lita - as apparently there is a rumor that she was supposed to do a match a little while ago too. Others in the same category are Trish Stratus and Mickie James. AJ Lee would be the most stunning and Dave is virtually certain that isn't happening.

But Dave said he doesn't know who it is and since he has been at the Hall of Fame ceremony - he hasn't been trying to find out who it is

But both Meltzer and Alvarez agree that it needs to be from the spoiler box because that will be the only thing that gets the crowd over the disappointment of it not being Bayley