DVDVR Message Board

WWE BATTLEGROUND 2016

RIPPA

The big worry to me is there still isn't an obvious opponent on Smackdown for Ambrose on Smackdown. Cena and Styles are occupied. Orton has Brock. That leaves a hodge podge of Wyatt (please no), Corbin (also please no), Del Rio (Dear God No), Dolph (Whhyyyyyy) and fucking Kane (*vomits*) as potential title feuds.

See, I think a couple of those could work. He could go over Del Rio clean and clear. He could go over Kane clean and clear. No doubt, no question, no fear. Give him some solid wins, some solid defenses. In that time, they can build up someone else. They do this right and Ambrose defending against Cena could even be a big Mania match in a world where almost no big Mania matches exist.

I didn't have very high hopes for this PPV but I was surprised at how good it was. My only complaint was the really annoying brand loyalty shit. At first I thought it would be overkill with each show getting their own PPV but if that means we don't get anymore shots of each locker room watching the main event then I'm all for it. 

1 minute ago, Matt D said:

See, I think a couple of those could work. He could go over Del Rio clean and clear. He could go over Kane clean and clear. No doubt, no question, no fear. Give him some solid wins, some solid defenses. In that time, they can build up someone else. They do this right and Ambrose defending against Cena could even be a big Mania match in a world where almost no big Mania matches exist.

I get you, but the problem is the in between. This company seems to be scared off people rapidly. What kinda viewership is Ambrose/Kane gonna get?

5 minutes ago, El Dragon said:

The big worry to me is there still isn't an obvious opponent on Smackdown for Ambrose on Smackdown. Cena and Styles are occupied. Orton has Brock. That leaves a hodge podge of Wyatt (please no), Corbin (also please no), Del Rio (Dear God No), Dolph (Whhyyyyyy) and fucking Kane (*vomits*) as potential title feuds.

If he keeps winning? If the fans leave the episodes happy. If they can buy into him as a winner and feel like they're part of a movement? It'll work. So long as they realize it's a means, a way to stall and continue to build up Ambrose, and not an end, it'll work.

1 minute ago, piranesi said:

The worried look on Braun Strowman's face after the Wyatt match basically said "Am I going to be a shark or a Viking at this time tomorrow?"

He's not a shark! He's not an avalanche, he's John Tent...Braun Strowman and he's a man!

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Matt D said:

If he keeps winning? If the fans leave the episodes happy. If they can buy into him as a winner and feel like they're part of a movement? It'll work. So long as they realize it's a means, a way to stall and continue to build up Ambrose, and not an end, it'll work.

It has to move faster then they usually do though.  If they go three PPV's deep with Ambrose/Del Rio I'm gongzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. sorry i just actually blacked out thinking about it

I almost forgot this was on, and then I picked this over playing Iron Brigade for two reasons: First, in hopes that Bayley would show up. Second, to see the crowd shit on Roman Reigns. 

I got what I wanted, and as a bonus, I also got Rusev looking at Mojo Rawley in a way that should be intricately illustrated and then put into the dictionary next to the definition of the word "consternation."

Sasha Banks, Big E, and Sami Zayn were apparently in a contest with one another to see who could more seriously injure themselves tonight. At least they were doing difficult physical feats that are hard to hit cleanly; Michael Cole screwed up at speaking a whole bunch, which has a much, much lower degree of difficulty. To be fair, though, when he said that Sasha hit Bayley, for a second, I figured he was just predicting an inevitable Banks turn on Bayley. 

I missed the main event to go to the park with my wife, but it doesn't sound like I missed anything except for the more-rare-than-Halley's-comet sight of Stephanie McMahon getting her comeuppance. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, El Dragon said:

Ehhhh. Remember when Bryan won at the Rumble, and immediately got put into a Kane feud? As over as he was, I always felt like Bryan was losing momentum BEFORE he got hurt. I'm not sure how much any champion can carry something at this stage if the challenger isn't interesting.

The problem with Bryan vs Kane after Mania 2014 was that they made Bryan into a huge loser wuss. He ran from Kane with Brie and the fans started to boo him. They literally started to boo him in the ring and Bryan made a joke about knowing how it felt to be Cena. If Ambrose meets him head on, without fear, and WINS, it'll work.

1 minute ago, piranesi said:

It has to move faster then they usually do though.  If they go three PPV's deep with Ambrose/Del Rio I'm gongzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. sorry i just actually blacked out thinking about it

One in. One out. Clean win. Clean win. Clean win. One and done. Meanwhile, they build someone up for Survivor Series and go from there. I don't think they know how to do this though.

27 minutes ago, El Dragon said:

I was very confused why Young was instantly DQed in that match, but whatever.

I'm assuming the official realized Darren Young was on the verge of winning a title match, and a DQ was the only way he could think to restore sanity.

• Like 2

Just now, Charlie M. said:

You could run an Ambrose/Styles feud on Smackdown for a good couple months with separate Cena and Orton feuds underneath it as support.

I agree. My problem here isn't "a couple months from now" it's "now". 

Assuming they don't do some random bullshit were Dean has to do something with Rollins and Reigns at Summerslam, Smackdown has no title challengers going into, in theory, there 2nd biggest show of the year. Cena and Styles are gonna match up. Orton is already lined up for something. That means, in theory, one of these guys are challening for the main title in WWE next month at Summerslam

Alberto Del Rio

Bray Wyatt

Baron Corbin

Kane

The Miz.

Dolph Ziggler

Apollo Crews

Kalisto.

Like, legitimately, who is the best name from that list right now? 

I guess they're ok with Ambrose as a long term champ now that someone realized they can just ship Ambrose to to the Today Show and ESPN in the box he sleeps in all the time...

Ambrose is sort in no man's land in terms of who he'll feud with until Styles/Cena are finished.  Beating the lower card is fine for a bit, but he'll need a big name opponent soon.  There's Bray, but Ambrose jobbed to a hologram and exploding TV the last time they tangled.  I suppose Orton will be available once he gets mauled by Brock.

• Like 1

I've been ice cold on the main product for a while, but this was a really fun show with a pretty hot crowd. Obviously Bayley's debut got things off to a good start. She was super over, and they had a nice opening match. Rusev/Ryder was a damn strong match. Big E's spear to the floor needs banned way more than the piledriver. Nattie is lucky Becky is so good because she stinks. I felt bad for Becky having to job to her, but I guess they have to continue the feud.

Enzo killed it on the mic to the point where the match was never going to be as good as the pre match promo. I thought the match layout was weird with Cass getting very little shine, and AJ taking the pinfall.  The ending to Miz/Young was so fucking bizarre lol. Good main event with some pretty slick spots. Just turn Roman heel FFS. Also Randy Orton is back if anyone gives a fuck about that. MOTN was Sami/KO. It was going pretty well until the crazy ass brainbuster on the apron then it hit a new gear. Pretty close to a breakout star making performance from Sami. Really good night for up and coming babyfaces between the reactions for Bayley, Sami, and Cass & Enzo.

Just now, just drew said:

I guess they're ok with Ambrose as a long term champ now that someone realized they can just ship Ambrose to to the Today Show and ESPN in the box he sleeps in all the time...

Little-known fact: Dean once lived for seven months in the back row of the studio audience for FAMILY FEUD. 

Go ahead and ask him what 100 people said was "something you don't want to hear your bae say right before sex?"

• Like 2