DVDVR Message Board

WWE BATTLEGROUND 2016

RIPPA

23 hours ago, El Dragon said:

I'm trying to come up with a scenario were Battleground leaves me excited for the future, and I'm really running short of ideas.

Wanted to quote this, cause to their credit, they got me to come around a bit. 

First 5 matches, including pre-show, were really great. They actually have me interested in Smackdowns tag division. Bray/Rowan, Usos, Breezango, AA, is a really nice cornerstone, and I'll look forward to a tag title tournament.

Bayley's debut, even if it was just for one night, was a great call. You get a sense that Bayley and Becky are just the best of friends, and Sasha looked so damn emotional for Bayley coming out. Opening tag was a blast.

Props to the Wyatts/New Day 6 man. That was the closest we have gotten to a Shield six man tag since Rollins started swinging around chairs, and this hit all the right notes with me. Really strong stuff.

Rusev/Ryder was significantly better then I thought it had any right to be. Ryder with a strong showing, but this was "Hey, my name is Rusev, remember when I was in the final four of your stupid wrestling tournament? I'm still that good" show. 

Zayn and Owens tried to murder each other, and the finish was fucking fantastic. Sami is amazing at those little moments that make something feel bigger with facial expressions. How did this guy work under a mask for a decade?

Becky/Natalya was really good technical wrestling, but I just find Natalya so boring on offense, man. That was a really good match that nobody gave a fuck about.

Darren Young is an act I really like with Backlund, I just don't know what the upside is.

Enzo was fucking amazing on the mic tonight. The semi main 6 man was good stuff, maybe not as good as I hoped, but really strong. Enzo is King.

Main Event was a pretty good match, with the right outcome. It actually gives some merit to the idea that Smackdown DIDN'T get completely fucked in the draft, which was needed, and, furthermore, someone finally got a (seemingly) solid one up on Steph. Stephanie could have taken anyone with the 1st pick. She bet against the current Heavyweight Champion. And at the end of the day, Dean proved her wrong, and took the most valuable title in the industry off her show. Now there's actual drama for Raw (What is there title situation look like?) and now we get to see what, exactly, they are gonna do with Dean at Summerslam (Styles, Orton, and Cena all occupied. Unless Bray steps into the title picture immediately, I am stumped).

Really strong show.

• Like 2

Just now, El Dragon said:

Darren Young is an act I really like with Backlund, I just don't know what the upside is.

If the upshot is that we get even one wrestler who is as batshit insane as every wrestler used to be, then I'm all in.  Weird that it would be Darren Young of all people but that's the magic of crazy old dudes.

• Like 1

Fun show even if it was a little too long.

Women's tag was simple and effective. Exactly what it needed to be.

Zayn/Owens was going along fine then Zayn almost died and then it got great.

Becky and Nattie had the right idea, just the wrong spot on the wrong show at the wrong time.

Enzo keeps on rolling. I love that all Cena can do is sit back and enjoy it.

Orton had a couple good lines in his segment and Jericho was masterful in the way he manipulated the crowd. I hope the build for SummerSlam is just Orton trolling Brock and everyone paying to see if Brock kills him for it.

Ambrose winning clean was strange UNLESS they're going to actually just do one champion for the time being.

3 minutes ago, piranesi said:

I did not like that Enzo's life advice was 60% Urine/Genital related and that 20% was not advice but an implied threat of non-consensual sodomy.

But, man, John Cena loved it.

I am not sure where "never look at a person in the eyes while eating a banana" falls in this but I think we all agree that is some pretty wise advice  

• Like 3

Was it me or did Reigns look a lot pudgier than normal? 

That was Enzo's best promo to date.  He had the crowd eating out the palm of his hand.

Awesome to see Bayley get such a big pop.  If done right, she's going to be something special.

Just now, Charlie M. said:

Orton had a couple good lines in his segment and Jericho was masterful in the way he manipulated the crowd.

I wish, and I think there is a part of Jericho that wishes, that the crowd would chant 'Riot!" whenever he says "Quiet."

• Like 6

Really solid show from an in-ring standpoint, though aside from Bayley's debut there weren't a ton of moments that felt really "ppv big".  I really enjoyed the lack of fuck finishes.

Roman hasn't always had a full beard has he?  Maybe that's a sign he's going heel.

The New Day/Wyatts match was fun, but the booking was a little weird.  I mean, they had to blow the thing off suddenly and I guess the otucomes were

1) Young African-American nerd overcomes his fear of fat white bullies

2) But gets his ass kicked in the process and will probably be pretty anxious at comic conventions forever

3) Someone needs to tell Big E. to stop doing things like that to his body

• Like 2

Seeing Sasha break character with that big-ass grin on her face at the Bayley pop gave me the warm fuzzies inside. That was an awesome moment.

Seeing Darren Young stare at his hands after the Cross-Face Chickenwing like a 1994 episode of RAW was awesome too.

Enjoyed the PPV. Even the Raw-esque segment with Jericho/Orton was entertaining.

• Like 3

Also, that was the most entertaining Randy Orton has been in at least ten years.

I also love how Enzo is so good he's "Cena proof." Not even the heat-leech Cena can derail the juggernaut that is Enzo on the mic...

• Like 1

No matter how you feel about Ambrose in ring or his character, there's always this cool feeling, for a wrestling fan, when it feels like they may be making a guy a real star. It happens so rarely, and it happened with Ambrose a couple of years ago too, and almost every time, they blow it in the most painful way possible or, at least, in the most mediocre way possible. They completely blew it then. They'll probably blow it now but maybe, just maybe, they realize they need him to anchor a brand. In 2002, when they did the first brand split, the guy they had anchoring the brand for those first few months was The Rock. Now they've had Ambrose score some definitive wins in a world without definitive wins. They had him win the war of the Shield, clean. They haven't got behind a guy in a two month period like this in ages, not Rollins, not Reigns, not really. They scored the rope and we're all secretly rooting for them not to hang themselves again.

• Like 8

Dean backstage to Shane and Bryan: "This one's for you, Skipper."

It helps to know that Skipper is what Dean named the big snowplow pile near his shopping cart stand

garage.

You don't want to know what he calls "Marry Ann", but it might help to realize that their is a nearby gas station air compressor that he calls "Sweet, Ginger"

RIP SKIPPER February, 2016 - May, 2016.

• Like 1

Steph is clearly going to pull strings with Vince to get a world championship on Raw.  Rollins will assume he'll be awarded the belt with no contest--#1 draft pick, he's DA MAN, blah blah blah--question is, do they have a match to determine the winner at Summer Slam or do they go with the HHH angle of handing it to someone--and piss off Rollins when they give it to Reigns? 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, just drew said:

Also, that was the most entertaining Randy Orton has been in at least ten years.

I also love how Enzo is so good he's "Cena proof." Not even the heat-leech Cena can derail the juggernaut that is Enzo on the mic...

That whole match, until Cena got the pin, was almost booked like Cena was on a legend's contract.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Matt D said:

No matter how you feel about Ambrose in ring or his character, there's always this cool feeling, for a wrestling fan, when they feel like they may be making a guy a real star. It happens so rarely, and it happened with Ambrose a couple of years ago too, and almost every time, they blow it in the most painful way possible or, at least, in the most mediocre way possible. They completely blew it then. They'll probably blow it now but maybe, just maybe, they realize they need him to anchor a brand. In 2002, when they did the first brand split, the guy they had anchoring the brand for those first few months was The Rock. Now they've had Ambrose score some definitive wins in a world without definitive wins. They had him win the war of the Shield, clean. They haven't got behind a guy in a two month period like this in ages, not Rollins, not Reigns, not really. They scored the rope and we're all secretly rooting for them not to hang themselves again.

The big worry to me is there still isn't an obvious opponent on Smackdown for Ambrose on Smackdown. Cena and Styles are occupied. Orton has Brock. That leaves a hodge podge of Wyatt (please no), Corbin (also please no), Del Rio (Dear God No), Dolph (Whhyyyyyy) and fucking Kane (*vomits*) as potential title feuds.

• Like 1