DVDVR Message Board

Is It Chilly In Here? I Feel a DRAFT - Smackdown - 7/19/2016

Dolfan in NYC

11 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

More announcing updates

Superstars: Tom Phillips & Corey Graves

Main Event: Tom Phillips & David Otunga

Booker T and Jerry Lawler will torment us on the pre-shows and kickoff shows

I usually don't watch the pre shows, so I'll be Jerry Lawler free. Maybe there is a merciful, loving god after all. 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Playa Shunna Ver 3.0 said:

"Like I said...i'm here to make a good....sta....a good lucha thing......"

Kalisto's first and last WWE promo.

Don't forget that he immediately jumps off camera and yells GOD DAMN!!!

• Like 5

I feel bad for Kalisto. He gets a chance to talk, which he usually doesn't and was clearly nervous. Yeah, he flubbed his lines, but I don't think it's the worst thing I've ever heard. Let's be honest. Take Scott Steiner for example. His promos were incoherent and didn't make much sense. He gets a pass though because he's bat shit insane and fit his character. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Eivion said:

Looking at the rosters really just illustrates how dumb having a draft was. The roster when broken up just isn't large enough to support two different shows for long.

I'd be shocked if this lasts until Wrestlemania. The size of the roster wasn't the issue. It's how they're being utilized, or not being utilized. Having writers that aren't wrestling people and an owner that does anything to spite his fans, and hates the only venture he's succeeded in doesn't help either.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jamal said:

Naomi's the sleeper over there. Before her injury, she was developing quite nicely. And Nattie is fine. Eva Marie is still not there yet and would have benefited from being on Raw and continuing the pairing with Nia Jax. I'm actually most concerned for Carmella and Alexa. Their NXT work has been pretty uneven although I think the last match they had against one another was pretty decent. But I have a feeling they will be exposed sooner rather than later. 

I think Alexa and Carmella will do better on the main roster. Their looks are going to get them more over with that audience, and they won't have to worry about living up to four star match expectations the NXT fans had grown accustomed to seeing from the top women's matches.

Also I went back and watched the live Network coverage, and it was a million times better than SD. My favorite part was when they were taling about Miz bringing his wife everywhere with him, and when Graves said we have a panel member who did that and when everyone looks at Booker he says "did I do that?". That show was gold unscripted promos FTW.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I'd br shocked if this lasts until Wrestlemania. The size of the roster wasn't the issue. It's how they're being utilized, or not being utilized. 

There are too many titles on Raw and too many thin divisions for someone who does not have a title to get over in three hours.  Main, secondary, cw, women, tag team.

Smackdown has the same problem with only two hours of television time per week. Main, secondary, women, tag team.

Is the Women's title really only on RAW though?

In the interview with Charlotte on the Network, even she looked surprised when (whoever was interviewing her) asked her how she felt as women's Champion who will be floating between both shows.

Or something like that.  I can't find the interview and it was right at the beginning of the show.

24 minutes ago, CSC said:

Is the Women's title really only on RAW though?

In the interview with Charlotte on the Network, even she looked surprised when (whoever was interviewing her) asked her how she felt as women's Champion who will be floating between both shows.

Or something like that.  I can't find the interview and it was right at the beginning of the show.

It's RAW only

Renee flat out asks her how she feels about taking the title and only competing on RAW (including saying "who knows what is happening on Smackdown") and that is where Charlotte looks a little surprised and starts her answer with "I hadn't really thought of it that way..."

3 hours ago, Trocar Slush Weasel said:

But they didn't give us any of that.  I mean, obviously, the title holders and their (seemingly) next challengers weren't called up but how about specifically stating that?  The pre-show on the Network made a point to talk about Joe, Bayley, the Revival and Nakamura.  Just as bad as when Shane mumbled his way thru the brand split guidelines a few weeks ago with New Day.

That was the biggest problem with the creative in regard to NXT: you're drafting people like Mojo and Alexis who have done nothing while your studio team is drooling over who will take Joe, Nak, Bayley, and the Revival, and then none of them get drafted.  If that was the plan, then kayfabe a quick "No one in a title match at the next Takeover is getting drafted rule", and no one would have a problem.

34 minutes ago, (BP) said:

It's not Luger fighting with his own t-shirt, but it's worse than Cesaro forgetting how many rope were in the ring. 

Worse.  He claimed the ring had three sides, then awkwardly tried to explain he meant the three ropes.

"THIS IS THE BIGGEST FREE AGENT SIGNING IN THE HISTORY OF EVER! YOU THOUGHT THE WARRIORS GETTING DURANT WAS CRAZY!"

Really, counting NXT, the WWE has three brands now. Guarantee you NXT could outdraw Smackdown on a Cena-free tour right now.

8 minutes ago, jstout said:

"THIS IS THE BIGGEST FREE AGENT SIGNING IN THE HISTORY OF EVER! YOU THOUGHT THE WARRIORS GETTING DURANT WAS CRAZY!"

Really, counting NXT, the WWE has three brands now. Guarantee you NXT could outdraw Smackdown on a Cena-free tour right now.

Nakamura/Joe/Bayley outdrawing Orton/Styles/Ambrose? Not a chance in hell.

• Like 2

I'm stunned that they failed this hard. I knew going in that they would fuck it up because the idea of prosperity is such a foreign concept, but I didn't think they would fuck up this bad. From the gigantic logic gaps in drafting, to SmackDown getting absolutely fucked, to the announcing teams, to the presentation, and on and on. I just...FUCK...I just can't wrap my brain around how they fucked up this hard.

THIS SHIT SHOULD BE EASY!

Other people have pointed out how amazingly thing SD! is at the top of the card. Holy fuck are they thin at the top. Then you look at the Raw roster and if there's a glut of injuries at the top, you have multiple other guys ready to step up to the main event. I guess that's what happens when you draft almost every good tag team or female wrestler. Why, why the fuck is Cesaro on Raw? That's the perfect guy to step up on the SD side in case Cena or Orton goes down with an injury and you know that's going to happen. 

I'm so disappointed. I shouldn't be. I should have seen this coming, but once again I thought, "there's no way WWE will fuck this up that bad." Fool me for the umpteenth time.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Craig H said:

I'm stunned that they failed this hard. I knew going in that they would fuck it up because the idea of prosperity is such a foreign concept, but I didn't think they would fuck up this bad. From the gigantic logic gaps in drafting, to SmackDown getting absolutely fucked, to the announcing teams, to the presentation, and on and on. I just...FUCK...I just can't wrap my brain around how they fucked up this hard.

THIS SHIT SHOULD BE EASY!

Other people have pointed out how amazingly thing SD! is at the top of the card. Holy fuck are they thin at the top. Then you look at the Raw roster and if there's a glut of injuries at the top, you have multiple other guys ready to step up to the main event. I guess that's what happens when you draft almost every good tag team or female wrestler. Why, why the fuck is Cesaro on Raw? That's the perfect guy to step up on the SD side in case Cena or Orton goes down with an injury and you know that's going to happen. 

I'm so disappointed. I shouldn't be. I should have seen this coming, but once again I thought, "there's no way WWE will fuck this up that bad." Fool me for the umpteenth time.

Come on now, you watched during the last brand split, right? If the Smackdown guys go down and they think Cesaro can fill that spot, they'll just move him over. They don't give a fuck about their own rules.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, JonnyLaw said:

That was the biggest problem with the creative in regard to NXT: you're drafting people like Mojo and Alexis who have done nothing while your studio team is drooling over who will take Joe, Nak, Bayley, and the Revival, and then none of them get drafted.  If that was the plan, then kayfabe a quick "No one in a title match at the next Takeover is getting drafted rule", and no one would have a problem.

Worse.  He claimed the ring had three sides, then awkwardly tried to explain he meant the three ropes.

IIRC he said "These four ropes" and when the crowd groaned he shrugged and said "there's ropes on four sides".  

I love the reaction shots of the NXT roster.  Most of them are like the little aliens from Toy Story when the giant claw comes down to claim them out of the machine.

And yeah, someone needs to stat get into production where Regal has his NXT cast for Takeover and explain that he has to protect his card and that's why Joe, Nak, Bayley, Asuka, Revival were "franchise protected" and couldn't get taken in the draft.

• Like 3