DVDVR Message Board

Is It Chilly In Here? I Feel a DRAFT - Smackdown - 7/19/2016

Dolfan in NYC

If Graves doesn't do NXT shows anymore he's a bigger loss for NXT than any of the wrestlers who were drafted. Shane bringing that hip new product by having JBL call Cena, Orton, and Kane matches.

• Like 3

Man, as usual Smackdown got the shit end of the stick in these drafts. Oh sure they got a couple of great picks at the start to get peoples hope's up. But as it went on the company was like "just remember who's they A show around here pal".

Daniel Bryan so far is proving to be a horrible GM. Terrible draft management. I mean storywise we understand that on RAW, Stephanie is calling 99.9% of the shots. So Mick is just there for the paycheck. But there were plenty of good people up for grabs and Bryan didn't take them. Shane should be pissed.

I figured out the Mojo call up.

He is in the Ray Jackson roll and Rusev is Chong Li.  And Zack is Frank Dux...

I'm aware Braun was there to be Jackson, but you play the cards you're dealt.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, El Dragon said:

Can we talk about how Raw was going to get a Cruiserweight division, and the only guy on their roster that I think fits as being under 205 are Neville, Enzo, and Woods?

Presumably they'll be getting all the CWs signed with WWE after the CWC ends.  It wouldn't make much sense for guys to get drafted tonight and ruin the illusion of there being an ongoing tournament.  I mean if Ibushi, Alexander and Dorado get drafted tonight to Raw, it kind of ruins the suspense of running the tournament, no?

12 minutes ago, Go2Sleep said:

I just had a horrifying thought... What if Lawler replaces Graves on NXT?

Also, the draft was stupid and made no sense.

Ugh. NXT is the only weekly WWE show I watch. Please don't do that to me.

From an entirely selfish perspective, I was hoping you'd get a Smackdown where the guys I like to watch wrestle are all stuck, because then I'd have considered watching some main roster WWE. But most of them are on Raw & 3 hours is an hour more than I'm willing to spend on a wrestling show, and there's not enough on Smackdown to make those 2 hours worth wasting on wrestling either. They probably should have kept the women together on one show, and have the Cruiserweights on the other show. There's also not enough tag teams to make splitting the tag division across 2 shows make any sense either.

If I try to be an optimist, I guess it's interesting to see how it all falls together (or apart) in the long-term.

Other random thing - at least one of the NXT refs got called up to RAW

Of course I can't find the tweets now to remember which one (it wasn't Drake)

Man, did Shane-O and D-Bry come off as incompetent idiots. Some of the picks were baffling. From a kayfabe perspective it just made no sense. 

And I could get used to IDGAF Cesaro. Hope Vince didn't see that interview or he'll he jobbi... Oh he does that already. 

• Like 1

Hopefully this brand split will die a lot sooner than the last one. I haven't really commented on it since they announced it, but I did come to a realization in the past weeks. I stopped watching WWE on a regular basis around the tail end of the Attitude era and didn't start watching weekly again until I caught Punk's "pipe bomb" and it piqued my interest. I'd always credited my loss of interest solely to Triple H, but as I thought about it I realized that it was just as much my loathing for the brand split concept. It was a stupid fucking idea then, it's a stupid fucking idea now. WWE creative is terrible enough without limiting the amount of feuds each wrestler can have.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Marty Sugar said:

I haven't read all 11 pages of comments, but what about that guy in the "Brand Split 2.0" thread who suggested Mojo Rawley would get drafted out of NXT? That guy...he's something.

Marty we are all just gonna blame you when he is IC champ in a month

• Like 5