DVDVR Message Board

Random music thoughts

Randy

The touts overestimated the demand for the two MXPX shows (which are both sold out) and are dumping like crazy on the secondary market. I got a ticket for the Friday show at the box office and now I was able to get one for the Saturday show at slightly below face.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, J.T. said:

Happy birthday to the late Jimi Hendrix.  You are still missed.

I was 13 when Jimi died and in junior high, I cried like a baby, he was a god to those of us in Seattle. I think the major times that a musicians death have affected me were the passings of Hendrix, Alvin Lee, Leon Russell and of course, Lux Interior and David Bowie. Hendrix, Lux, and Lee were the worst because they were so unexpected.

New Glassjaw is amazing, especially if you know the context of it and the sound they were trying to go for with the 90's Long Island Hardcore style.

Fun fact: did you know the MXPX song "Heard That Sound" was inspired by the time a young Mike Herrera was literally the next person in line after a Dead Milkmen show sold out and he was unable to get in?

So I am going to see Neck Deep in January as I heard them on the pop punk channel on Pandora and really liked them. Yesterday I checked who the supporting acts were, and one of them is a band named Creeper. I checked them out on YouTube and they were tremendous. They are basically horror/goth/emo rock in the vein of My Chemical Romance, AFI, Aiden ect. I love that type of stuff so I really loved Creeper, and I'm looking just as much forward to seeing them as the headliner.

11 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

RIP Warrel Dane of Sanctuary/Nevermore, he died of a heart attack in Brazil. Not a fan of Nevermore at all but this was a fine album. Unfortunately he has passed on the same date as Chuck Schuldiner of Death as well so, bizarre coincidence

I just came to post after reading about Warrel's death. I was more into Nevermore, and of course, I loved them for the Edgar Allan Poe connection.

My favorite Nevermore track:

Well, the inductees to the Rolling Stone Rock & Roll Hall of Fame have been announced and I am both pleased and outraged at the same time. Here's who got in: 

Bon Jovi
The Cars
Dire Straits
The Moody Blues
Nina Simone
Sister Rosetta Tharpe

And I have no problem with any of those choices, (although Sister Rosetta Tharpe should have been an initial inductee, after all she invented rock & roll.)

And here's who were eligible and didn't get in:

Kate Bush
Depeche Mode
Eurythmics
J. Geils Band
Judas Priest
LL Cool J
The MC5
The Meters
Radiohead
Rage Against The Machine
Rufus Featuring Chaka Khan
Link Wray
The Zombies

And here is why I am outraged:

Depeche Mode - Not really my thing but tremendously influential.
Eurythmics - How do you not put the Eurythmics in the HOF. They touch all the bases, quality, popularity, influential...
The MC5 - Should have been in long ago. Without the MC5 as an influence we might not even have Rock as a genre today. 
The Meters - They are to New Orleans what Booker T & the MGs are to Memphis. In other words, a no-brainer.
Rufus Featuring Chaka Khan - Probably the most influential act of their time, without them hip-hop and rap would be very different today and not nearly as good. They are really to hip-hop what the MC5 are to hard-edged, kick-ass rock & roll.
Link Wray - If you're ot going to put Link Wray in the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame you might as well just burn the thing down and have done with it. This is like not putting Jumbo Tsuruta in the WON HOF, just unthinkable.
The Zombies - When people are still covering your stuff  after fifty years, you're a HOFr. Writing these guys off as just another band in the British Invasion (which is exactly what likely happened)is remarkably short-sighted and displays a lack of knowledge about the genre. No, they weren't the Beatles or the Stones, but they were good enough and influential enough to be considered on the same level as the Kinks and the Yardbirds.

Okay, I'm done ranting, I should just be happy that Dire Straits got in...

• Like 1

LL Cool J is a Hall of Famer.  Seriously, I'm as critical of a lot of LL Cool J's music as anyone, but he's pretty much the first mainstream solo rap phenom.  Not only that, he can flat out RAP.  There was a video floating around a few years ago with him rapping at his 17th birthday party and he raps for about 45 minutes off the top of his head and straight up destroys the party.  

Fuck the voters for snubbing Priest. Oh also fuck them extra hard for not having put in Iron Fucking Maiden as well. And don't get me fucking started on no Slayer...

• Like 1

I'm scouring every venue in the N.Y. Metro area for pop punk and emo shows to go to. I just turned 40 and I think this is my midlife crisis. Hey Knuckle Puck is playing the White Eagle Hall in Jersey City in March! Moose Blood plays Irving Plaza that month as well!

Just now, Brian Fowler said:

Bon Jovi got in, and Judas Priest didn't. I regret going to that place 17 years ago. Fuck them.

I've seen them both live in the past few years. Bon Jovi was underwhelming playing MSG and you have to have a bad night to have a blah show there. Priest at Barclays was fucking incredible, Halford deserves his own fucking wing of the HOF.

I hate Bon Jovi more than damn near any band ever.

(Jon Bon Jovi is actually by all accounts a terrific human being, who does fantastic charity work. It's nothing personal just the fucking awful music)