DVDVR Message Board

Random music thoughts

Randy

Yeah, I see now that I misunderstood/am drunk. Sorry.

I also just listened to the album, and man, I do not like it.

I think the whole cute folksy song thing can be traced back to that equally terrible Moldy Peaches song from Juno

I really do not like the new Nine Inch Nails song. Sounds like a lesser version of "The Hand That Feeds" which was a lesser NIN song anyway.

Don't like the new Pixies either.

Album I can't stop listening to lately? Weezer's blue album.

I like cutesy indy folk music. Before Juno existed, my wife and I performed that song at a cabaret with a washboard. I was incredibly drunk (I was drinking whiskey out of the bottle before the show, classy with my pinkie up) It was the only time I'd ever sang on stage coz I suck at singing.

Other thoughts -

I listened to The Cranberries No Need to Argue album again and it's a tremendous collection of songs. Lots of range from the badass Zombie, to the sweet romantic Dreaming My Dreams. Great stuff.

If you're on Spotify, look up Back to Peru. It's a collection of Underground Peruvian music from

1964-74. It's pretty rad stuff. Kind of reminds me of Rocky Erickson.

I'm incredibly happy for Chance The Rapper, and I get excited every time I see him show up somewhere. Really talented guy who has a lot of fun with his raps. I loved 10 Day, and his newer mix, Acid Rap, blows it away. I've worn that shit out this summer.

Album I can't stop listening to lately? Weezer's blue album.

For some reason, I never gave that album much of a listen until this year. Now I'm enjoying the hell out of it.

The band I've rediscovered recently is Nerf Herder. I saw them play under Ozma a month ago and they murdered the crowd with the first half of the set... THEN they played this.

and the crowd lost their shit.

• Like 1

I'm incredibly happy for Chance The Rapper, and I get excited every time I see him show up somewhere. Really talented guy who has a lot of fun with his raps. I loved 10 Day, and his newer mix, Acid Rap, blows it away. I've worn that shit out this summer.

Oh, I went to a bar on Monday in Toronto after the Jays game, and he was doing a show at the place right across the street.  Hadn't ever heard of him, but we looked up who was playing just because it seemed like there were a ton of people outside.

I doubt there's too many people that care for John Mayer around these parts, but I really love "Continuum" as an album. With that said, I do not know if there is a more awful, out of place song on a good record than "Waiting on the World to Change."  It just doesn't fit with the album for me. I normally start the album on "I Don't Trust Myself (With Loving You)"

I miss Lush.  I haven't found many bands that satisfy that Lush itch; maybe Whirr, if I'm generous.  

This is probably Whirr's best song, and it doesn't even come close to anything Lush ever did, but what can you do?

If he doesn't show up in a week I can concact him through his RateYourMusic account, though I have no idea how often if at all he checks that site.

Thanks folks. Rarely go on there*, but it does send me email notifications.

I spent a day on youtube the other week looking at videos of guys showing off their huge (10,000+) vinyl collections. Cool stuff. That led me to CD Collection videos. A few guys aged 35+ had some significant collections, but I'm baffled by all the teens/early 20s showing off their collections. One guy had about 80 CDs with comments such as "Absolutely EPIC collection!" I'd imagine the majority of posters in this forum have (or have had) at least 3 times that.

I've probably got 80 fucking Neurosis CDs.

Joking aside, at least 2000 CDs in my collection. DFA has seen my Rate Your Music area.

* Well, when I buy stuff.

I agree to a point actually. They always had songs that were straight 60's surf rock almost from the beginning. And I loved that about them.

Can't even express how much love I have for Surfin' Bird. The original record by The Trashmen is a fucking awesome album too.

The Ramones (who I absolutely love, for the record) spent their entire career desperately searching for a big pop hit.  It's why I laugh whenever someone bashes, say, Green Day (who I also like a lot) or some other poppy-punk band with a "punk bands don't try to have hits!" bullshit line.  Because, you know, The Ramones.