DVDVR Message Board

Random music thoughts

Randy

My partner's wife had a last minute work trip obligation, so he offered me her ticket to Roger Waters last night. I don't really give a fuck about Floyd, so I was only really going to tag along and get to listen to and see a live show. I enjoyed myself quite a bit, but the big arena setting was a weird environment to see a show in. I don't ever go to arena shows, and with all the video screens and all he has going on, I felt like I went to a movie that had a live band playing along.

I felt that the highlight of the evening was the two ladies he had with him doing backup vocals, apparently they are the voice of a pop band called Lucius, and after hearing them last night, I am interested in picking up one of their records. Really super talented folks, and I was just blown away by them. Really wild harmonies and playing off of one another's voice. Here's their site if you are interested in checking them out:

http://www.ilovelucius.com/news/

On 6/16/2017 at 10:12 PM, odessasteps said:

Related to said above video, I dont think I knew before about 5 minutes ago that Murray Head (from one night in bangkok) is brother of Anthony Head (Giles from Buffy).

Oh yeah, they actually have a very strong family resemblance . I might give the nod to Anthony as being the superior singer, although Murray was all kinds of awesome in the original cast recording of Jesus Christ Superstar.

• 2 weeks later...

GnR made 8.5 million $ on one show in Singapore recently, so no matter how awful it may sound(I assume), 50k folks are willing to shell out 400+ and 100+ for the tickets.

2 hours ago, Ryan said:

GnR made 8.5 million $ on one show in Singapore recently, so no matter how awful it may sound(I assume), 50k folks are willing to shell out 400+ and 100+ for the tickets.

Sure they sounded fine.  They sounded better last summer when I saw them than they did in 1991/92 or any of the Axl N Roses shows.

7 hours ago, zev said:

The new Public Enemy album is available free and legal - right now.

https://publicenemy.bandcamp.com/

It's pretty good. A little heavy on the guitar solos, which is weird, but PE has always been weird. Seems to get better as it goes and "Rest In Beats" is crushing with all the shoutouts to the dead musicians, especially the huge Prince tribute in the middle. 

I happened to bring this up in conversation to some younger coworkers today and one of them brought up how bad the last Tribe album was underrated, which made me have hope for the future

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/4/2017 at 1:34 AM, Ryan said:

They sounded great when I saw them last year.

19 hours ago, cwoy2j said:

They sounded great when I saw them last year.

So your saying they didn't play anything from Chinese Democracy when you saw them?

3 minutes ago, sabremike said:

So your saying they didn't play anything from Chinese Democracy when you saw them?

They did and it actually sounded pretty good. They played Better and Chinese Democracy and they sounded 1000% better than the studio versions. I think if they re-recorded those tracks with Slash and this version of Axl who actually seems motivated, they'd sound totally different than what we got on the album. 

Being the hardcore punk connoisseur I am, I ordered this... and I'm floored. They did two singles and two tours, their existence lasted exactly 22 months. Their singles were two dollars and end up going for $1700 now to record collector scum, and I understand why. This is cream of the crop shit right here. 

Oh, if you need any further proof, Bad Brains borrowed the original tapes from them, probably to try and put them out, and never gave 'em back. I wonder why...

ALERT!!! The Live Nation/Ticketmaster settlement voucher thing is back. Check your email and/or Live Nation accounts. I was able to use 4 of mine to get tixs for:

Supersuckers

Goo Goo Dolls (I am over the moon over this one because I was planning on going anyways).

Styx & REO Speedwagon (I just can't fight this feeling anymore so I got the tickets).

Sublime & The Offspring (Basically to see The Offspring, one of my faves from high school).

Just used a voucher to get a ticket to see Foreigner, Cheap Trick (I surrendered, surrendered) and Jason Bonham Led Zepplin Experience this Saturday at PNC Bank Arts Center in Holmdel. The opening acts alone are worth it.

On 7/16/2017 at 2:04 PM, Curt McGirt said:

Heh... nope.

You don't want the equivalent of $1.01 in a dead currency? So close. I have some old pesos that total about 5 dollars somewhere around here!

I think I could see the Goo Goo Dolls play at my local minor league baseball park. They're pricier than I would expect. GA is $40 for a band that hasn't been relevant to people I know in half a generation. They still chug along. Nothing against the band, but when they play that song from City of Angels, hurl a brick at them.

38 minutes ago, Ryan said:

I think I could see the Goo Goo Dolls play at my local minor league baseball park. They're pricier than I would expect. GA is $40 for a band that hasn't been relevant to people I know in half a generation. They still chug along. Nothing against the band, but when they play that song from City of Angels, hurl a brick at them.

Pretty much every "name" band that's still performing from before the turn of the century seems to charge an arm and a leg - presumably because the older crowd now has disposable income and will spend the money for the nostalgia trip alone.