DVDVR Message Board

Random music thoughts

Randy

THE MOTHERFUCKING DESTRUCTION UNIT STRIKES BACK:

"Deep Trip" out August 20th on Sacred Bones Records. Here's tour dates.

MORE DAMAGED MUSIC AMERICA 2013 

08/23 San Diego, CA @ VOID08/24 Los Angeles, CA @ Complex08/26 San Francisco, CA @ The Hemlock08/28 Portland, OR @ Mississippi Studios08/29 Seattle, WA @ Barboza08/30 Olympia, WA @ TBA08/31 Vancouver, BC @ Sun Fest $09/01 Boise, ID @ The Crux09/03 Denver, CO @ 7th Street Arts Collective09/07 Detroit, MI @ Trinosophes %09/08 Toronto, ON @ The Drake Hotel09/09 Montreal, QC @ Il Motore09/11 New York, NY @ Mercury Lounge +09/12 Philadelphia, PA @ Kung Fu Necktie +09/14 Washington DC @ Rock N Roll Hotel +09/15 Baltimore, MD @ Metro Gallery +09/17 Charlotte, NC @ The Milestone +&09/18 Athens, GA @ Caledonia +09/19 Atlanta, GA @ 529 +#09/22 Houston, TX @ Mangos +09/24 Denton, TX @ Rubber Gloves Rehearsal Studios+09/25 Memphis, TN @ Gonerfest 10DEEP MENTAL TRIP 2013 (EU) 10/09 Berlin, Germany @ West Germany 10/11 Stockholm, Sweden @ Southside10/12 Goteborg, Sweden @ Koloni10/14 Copenhagen, Denmark @ Stengade10/15 Hamburg, Germany @ Hafenklang10/16 Hannover, Germany @ Sturmglocke10/17 Uthrect, Holland @ DB's10/18 Harlem, Holland @ Patronaat10/19 Bruxelles, Belgium @ TBA10/20 Kortrijk, Belgium @ The Pit's10/21 Antwerp, Belgium @ TBA10/22 France @ TBA10/23 London, UK @ Old Blue Last10/24 Leeds / Liverpool, UK @ TBA10/25 Manchester / Bristol, UK @ TBA10/26 Brighton, UK @ TBA10/27 Paris, France @ TBA10/28 Bordeaux @ TBA10/29 Barcelona, Spain @ Lupita del Raval10/30 Madrid, Spain @ Wurlitzer Ballroom 10/31 Libson, Portugal @ ZDB11/01 Guimaraes @ Portugal @ TBA11/02 Bermeo, Spain @ Beleza Malandra Ateneo Kulturala11/03 Vitoria, Spain @ Ibu Host 11/04 Tolouse, France @ TBA11/05 Lyon, France @ TBA11/06 Torino, Italy @ TBA11/07 Roma, Italy @ Dal Verme11/08 Verona, Italy @ White Rabbit11/09 Luzern, Switzerland @ Sudpol 11/10 Milano, Italy @ TBA11/11 Lubiana, Slovenia @ TBA11/12 Wien, Austria @ Arena11/13 Munich / Konstanz / Leipzig, Germany @ TBA11/14 Karlsruhe, Germany @ Alte Hackerei11/15 Leipzig / Trier @ Zoro11/16 Berlin, Germany @ TBA$ w/ Nu Sensae% w/ Human Eye+ w/ Ukiah Drag& w/ Pharmakon# w/ Pop 1280

I spent a day on youtube the other week looking at videos of guys showing off their huge (10,000+) vinyl collections. Cool stuff. That led me to CD Collection videos. A few guys aged 35+ had some significant collections, but I'm baffled by all the teens/early 20s showing off their collections. One guy had about 80 CDs with comments such as "Absolutely EPIC collection!" I'd imagine the majority of posters in this forum have (or have had) at least 3 times that. There were a couple of people (1 girl, 1 gay dude) showing off their "collection" of about 10-15 Britney/Gaga/Rihanna CDs. I'm not sure what to make of it... On the one hand, I guess it's kinda cool that some people still appreciate the physical media. On the other hand, it's really bizarre to still be buying something that young kids almost consider to be antique.

I also happened to read an article today about the possible resurgence of cassettes with a Cassette Store Day scheduled for next year.

I love Daft Punk's new album so much.  As important as Discovery was to them this one might be their best yet.  It's at least my favorite.  As far as dance hits it doesn't touch Discovery or other albums.  As far as straight up great music that shows range and depth, this one takes it.  You have three standout tracks (Get Lucky, Giorgio, Instant Crush) supported by really strong tracks all with different vibes to it.  Giorgio has such an epic build in particular, that's my favorite.  The deep cuts for Discovery had some damn good ones, but RAM's deep cuts are to me better songs.  It just feels like a stronger album that I just can't get tired of listening to.

Here's some Giorgio for you to check out:

• Like 1

So when you listen to a lot of music you get off on really weird side trips sometimes. Like randomly deciding "hey I'm going to listen to a Gregorian Chant album just this once".

http://youtu.be/Ih-JAAF2EEU

This goes on too long, but man. How can anyone listen to this record and be angry. It's the mellowest thing ever.

Also, Biblical art is very violent.

The singer sounds very Rush-esque to me.

I've actually heard her compared to Geddy a few times now.  I can hear it.  Solid album.

THE MOTHERFUCKING DESTRUCTION UNIT STRIKES BACK:

This is really good shit.

I also happened to read an article today about the possible resurgence of cassettes with a Cassette Store Day scheduled for next year.

I saw this bit of news and honestly just kinda rolled my eyes.  I get the vinyl resurgence--even if you're not some cranky old early Gen Xer or Boomer who wants to hear "fuzz", it's still cool to have the big piece of artwork and I enjoy having to pay enough attention to what I'm listening to to flip it.  Also, the portability of digital frees up your shelf space for records.  But really, is there any reason to collect tapes beyond nostalgia?  I mean, sure, they're much more practical than fucking CDs, a completely useless tweener technology, but it all seems a bit too trendy.  I miss getting mixtapes in the mail as much as anyone, but the resurgence seems bunk to me.  I kind of get broke ass indie labels making tapes because they're cheap, but "International Cassette Store Day"? 

I hate myself for how much I like that Britney Spears song from the Smurfs 2 soundtrack

I am in a very dark place right now

Man, real self-hate is thoroughly enjoying that whole "Hello...." bit from the new Kesha song. 

I haven't listened to it yet, but I assume this is where he takes a mulligan on his second album and tries to cash in on the bright, jaunty folk-pop genre that he accidentally created with "Home."

I haven't listened to it yet, but I assume this is where he takes a mulligan on his second album and tries to cash in on the bright, jaunty folk-pop genre that he accidentally created with "Home."

This is the third album.

And still that song will not die.

That's what I'm saying. "Home" was this huge hit that kickstarted a whole new, obnoxious genre, but his second album was really spare and kind of a downer. And it just came out last year. So either this guy has the work ethic of Prince or Ryan Adams, or he had an epiphany, "Oh, shit, I'm missing out on a bunch of money right now. Better get a fun album out before the scene is over."

Yeah that sounds about right. Production is a little fuzzier too. 

So I'm watching the live feed on TV of a portuguese summer festival, basically just waiting for Queens of The Stone Age, and this cat Gary Clark Jr. comes up.

The motherfucker is awesome. Awesome.

I had the pleasure of seeing him last year at Made in America Festival.  He was so goddamn awesome they had him on both days, and the crowd loved it both times.  His album is so damn good, highly recommend getting it.

That's what I'm saying. "Home" was this huge hit that kickstarted a whole new, obnoxious genre, but his second album was really spare and kind of a downer. And it just came out last year. So either this guy has the work ethic of Prince or Ryan Adams, or he had an epiphany, "Oh, shit, I'm missing out on a bunch of money right now. Better get a fun album out before the scene is over."

That isn't even kind of what you said.