DVDVR Message Board

The early learn to love Jack Gallagher thread

RIPPA

The next two months are going to be Gallagher's coming out party. So giddy

Already shared but - here is the qualifying match (in full)

vs. Dean's boy Dean Allmark

vs. James Drake

• Like 3

Gallagher is outstanding.  Which makes it crazy when I think it over and realize how many British cruiserweights I'd watch over Gallagher.  There's a bunch of great cruisers in Europe right now, and, sadly, most of them strike me as having more personality than Gallagher.  I'm really digging Pete Dunne's heel "Bruiserweight" character right now.  He was pretty bland as a babyface, though.

Pete Dunne's development in the last few years has been really fun to watch. First saw him just after his first Japan tour when Triple X ran a lengthy Dunne Brothers vs Hunter Brothers feud, where he really stood out, then the promotion started pushing him as their main face (including a match with ZSJ that's the best match I've ever seen in person). Then he went through a weird phase where his gear started looking odder (some terrible half-shorts sailor-themed look) and he developed an odd potbelly (one of my friends still refers to him a Potbelly Pete Dunne). His work was still good, but he looked really amateur hour. I think wrestling as a heel in more and more promotions has really helped him - he looks far more comfortable as a sneering lunkhead and his Bruiserweight run is where he's garning more long-overdue attention.

I actually think Gallagher is immensely charismatic, he's got really great physical charisma. Again, like Pete, I think developing a persona has helped a lot, as the moustache-twirling Extraordinary Gentleman is a lot more memorable than early Gallagher.

I agree about the quality of Brit cruisers. There's people like Chris Tyler (who's only 19) who feel on the cusp of breaking out, and Chris Brookes feels like someone everyone will be talking about next year.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...