DVDVR Message Board

The Wrestling Book Thread

5 hours ago, Tromatagon said:

My favorite Gary Hart stories are the ones that don't end with a sentence about the nice person involved dying a horrible death shortly thereafter 

The worst one was about the secretary in one of the booking offices he worked in. It went like, "she was a wonderful woman, hard worker. People liked her, took care of her handicapped mother. THen some guys broke into her house and killed them both."

• Like 1

And the Magic Dragon one was tough too. "If you ever saw Great Kabuki without me, you saw Magic Dragon. We were going to send him to Australia. The promoter heard that Dragon just got married so they paid for her ticket as well for a honeymoon gift. Then the plane crashed and they both died."

37 minutes ago, cwoy2j said:

Yeah, Hart said he was like a giant Gerber Baby. That amused the hell out of me.

I re-read that last night because I forgot the story. The fact that they'd go in and just stare at him why he slept is kinda weird. I think there were drugs involved. 

Also, Barnett did send both Outlaws back. 

The best Outlaws-in-Australia story was the one about the bar with a shark tank where (I think) Murdoch jumped in and literally swam with the sharks. Just because I thought it over a bit and could COMPLETELY buy Dick doing it.

12 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

I re-read that last night because I forgot the story. The fact that they'd go in and just stare at him why he slept is kinda weird. I think there were drugs involved. 

Also, Barnett did send both Outlaws back. 

It involved Gary Hart and Curtis Iakuea. I'd be more shocked if drugs weren't involved.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 12/2/2016 at 10:23 PM, notoriusvig said:

I'm sure this has been discussed but how is Lex Luger's book?  I've been enjoying his 96-97 stuff and the preview on the Kindle sounded decent.

It's decent from what I remember, but lacked depth. A pretty quick read that I'd recommend if you can get a used or cheap copy. 

• Like 1

On ‎9‎/‎30‎/‎2016 at 0:11 PM, JRGoldman said:

Long time DVDVR favorite Victator has written a book. I figured I'd pimp it for him. It's free:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LYCH74A/ref=rdr_kindle_ext_tmb

Did he at one point post excerpts on the board? I seem to remember reading maybe an outline or a chapter or two? I'll have to check it out.

On 12/7/2016 at 4:14 PM, grilledcheese said:

Did he at one point post excerpts on the board? I seem to remember reading maybe an outline or a chapter or two? I'll have to check it out.

I did indeed post some of it here. But I went and wrote a lot more and we have edited it a ton. Hopefully finding all the typos, I swear to god I did my best. 

I really am grateful to anyone who bought it. I am very proud of it and think we did something unique.

• 3 weeks later...

I recently got both of JTG's books. Quick reads and badly in need of some editing but lots of interesting stories. Shad comes across like one of those guys who is a good friend but his dumbassery and general self-unawareness always gets others in trouble.

4 hours ago, Mike Zeidler said:

I could've sent you the pdf for free

I know, but I saw a $500+ book for $100. I was in. Plus, I just can't read a book in pdf format. I need a physical. book. I go nuts even reading d&d books that way. Tried comic books and it just felt so wrong. Anyone else like this?

37 minutes ago, DTTW said:

I know, but I saw a $500+ book for $100. I was in. Plus, I just can't read a book in pdf format. I need a physical. book. I go nuts even reading d&d books that way. Tried comic books and it just felt so wrong. Anyone else like this?

I have a couple books on my kindle fire, that haven't been read yet, and I too prefer the physical book in my hand. . . .

• Like 1

On 28-12-2016 at 8:14 PM, DTTW said:

To whoever sold me that Gary Hart book on ebay for $100...I think it's going to be money well spent.

Here I am, Good Samaritan, just giving away that book to someone on this board!

(No regrets, though. It felt wrong to hog that book, seeing as how rare it is. More people need to read it.)

• Like 4