DVDVR Message Board

HHH in 2000

goodhelmet

OK, here are his PPV matches...

HHH vs. Mick Foley (Street Fight) (Rumble 1/19/00)

HHH vs. Mick Foley (Hell in a Cell) (No Way Out 2/27/00)

Four Way Main Event (Wrestlemania 4/2/00)

HHH vs. The Rock (Backlash 4/30/00)

HHH vs. The Rock (Iron Man Match) (Judgment Day 5/21/00)

HHH, Shane & Vince McMahon vs. The Rock, Kane & Undertaker (King of the Ring 6/25/00)

HHH vs. Chris Jericho (Last Man Standing) (Fully Loaded 7/23/00)

HHH vs. The Rock vs. Kurt Angle (Summerslam 8/27/00)

HHH vs. Kurt Angle (No DQ) (Unforgiven 9/24/00)

HHH vs. Chris Benoit (No Mercy 10/22/00)

HHH vs. Steve Austin (No DQ) (Survivor Series 11/19/00)

Six Man Hell In A Cell (Armageddon 12/10/00)

Famous TV matches I can think of off the top of my head...

HHH vs. Chris Jericho (Phantom Title Switch)HHH vs. Taka Michinoku (did this even happen in 2000?)

Ten Man Tag from Dallas

- I highlighted the PPV matches that were praised at the time. The Austin match was pretty universally panned. The Kurt Angle match was panned for the booking. Do the bold matches hold up? Are there any more TV matches we should watch from HHH to illustrate his 2000 was great? I hope Dylan saved his list from the old board because i would love to compare this thread with people actually defending HHH and see how it stacks up. 

This is the thread where FSW can actually make a case for HHH instead of just entering flame wars. 

The Summerslam triple threat is as good a case as any for Hunter. He and Angle go at it and beat the everloving shit out of each other. Rock is basically chilling in the back, which is both awesome as a character move, and smart because the fans want to see Hunter and Angle.

Announce table breaks on a Pedigree, Angle is concussed and fucked right up. Match goes to shit. Rock is rushed out as Angle is taken backstage. The rest of the match is totally called on the fly, and although the pair obviously worked a lot, especially that year, it's just a perfectly done match up that works even if you don't know the whole thing was a mess. That is a fucking awesome worker in his prime working with another awesome worker in his prime and delivering. The only reason three or four of those matches didn't get 5 stars from Meltzer is because he's a mark for himself. Look no further than Punk/Cena vs Cena/Umaga for proof of that.

Now for the inevitable "Chris Masters getting squashed in 4 minutes is far more impressive than that" gibberish.

I think the match vs Rikishi is 1/4/00 on a Smackdown. That's one of the other big ones. I haven't seen any of this stuff since 2000 though.He also wrestled him in a short match in March on Raw so I'm not sure what's what anymore. There's also the ten man tag, right? He was in that? It's been a long time.

That's said, you can absolutely tell that Masters is better than HHH in about 4 minutes just by watching the specifics of what he does. So that's not a good argument.

• Like 1

That's said, you can absolutely tell that Masters is better than HHH in about 4 minutes just by watching the specifics of what he does. So that's not a good argument.

I don't see it. He bumps and sells better? Yeah, you probably would be if you were being squashed in 4 minutes too. Triple H hasn't worked a match like that in what, two decades? He was a fantastic bumper in 2000, the right side of realistic (unlike Rock, big Kish) but still visually impressive enough that even Rock, with his loose work, looked good.

For whatever it's worth, I agree with FSW regarding the "You can tell Masters is better just from a 4 minute squash" argument is dumb. Having a great grasp of what my TEW game calls "performance skills" is great and all, but that's a bit of a stretch.

Now I would re-watch the Masters/McIntyre match from a couple years ago before... maybe any HHH match I ever saw, but whatever.

I remember being really disappointed by the Benoit match. You had the knee work in the beginning on Benoit that goes nowhere and weak Steph interference leading to a flat ending. Everything else still holds up pretty well, I think.

HHH and Angle just didnt have much chemistry. I don't think they ever had a good singles match together.

Sadly, this cuts off before my favorite HHH match, the 3 stages of hell against Austin.

HHH and Angle just didnt have much chemistry. I don't think they ever had a good singles match together.

I think a lot of it has to do with pacing. Angle seems to want a pace a match faster than most people. I remember hearing that he'd cajole Eddy to get up and stop selling so they could move on. Benoit got some of the same complaints, specifically from Austin.

TV matches I can think of off the top of my head...  HHH vs. Chris Jericho (Phantom Title Switch)HHH vs. Taka Michinoku (did this even happen in 2000?)Ten Man Tag from Dallas

There is also a very good HHH/Benoit vs Rock/Jericho on Raw before Backlash, and Benoit's debut vs HHH on Smackdown.

The Summerslam triple threat is as good a case as any for Hunter. He and Angle go at it and beat the everloving shit out of each other. Rock is basically chilling in the back, which is both awesome as a character move, and smart because the fans want to see Hunter and Angle.

Announce table breaks on a Pedigree, Angle is concussed and fucked right up. Match goes to shit. Rock is rushed out as Angle is taken backstage. The rest of the match is totally called on the fly, and although the pair obviously worked a lot, especially that year, it's just a perfectly done match up that works even if you don't know the whole thing was a mess. That is a fucking awesome worker in his prime working with another awesome worker in his prime and delivering. The only reason three or four of those matches didn't get 5 stars from Meltzer is because he's a mark for himself. Look no further than Punk/Cena vs Cena/Umaga for proof of that.

Now for the inevitable "Chris Masters getting squashed in 4 minutes is far more impressive than that" gibberish.

Exactly. Props go to Rock as well but HHH deserves a bunch of credit. The SummerSlam triple threat is an excellent case to how awesome Triple H was in 2000. Also, there was a Raw from NY (I think Long Island but in may have been at MSG) where HHH winds up working three matches against midcarders (I think Rock was off filming either one of the mummy movies or Scorpion King) and they're all uniquely great. I distinctly remember one of them against The Godfather. That whole show is another example of just how on fire HHH was in 2000.

Wow, I thought the rev ray rav was one dude.

I have purged all HHH matches from my brain. I don't even like the dude during interviews. He's literally the least interesting wrestler I've ever watched. I would rather have my eyes stapled opened & forced to watch every Bastion Booger match then HHH best match again.

You just can't help yourself. Don't worry about what other people say and focus on your boy. 

Wow, I thought the rev ray rav was one dude.I have purged all HHH matches from my brain. I don't even like the dude during interviews. He's literally the least interesting wrestler I've ever watched. I would rather have my eyes stapled opened & forced to watch every Bastion Booger match then HHH best match again.

Come on!

Apparently my mind is fuzzy: The aforementioned Triple H moment was actually on Smackdown, not Raw. It was March 16, 2000 from the Nassau Coliseum. Triple H only worked two matches (not three like I thought) but one of them were against Godfather. The main event was a tag match involving the Rock so apparently it wasn't while Rock was out filming. HHH was all over the show for sure and for good reason.

Holy shit there's a Rev, a Ray, and a Rev Ray all posting on here. Amazing.

I got too lazy to sign up as Kawada~!, too many letters to type.

Here's a list of all Triple TV/PPV matches from 2000:

http://www.cagematch.net/?id=2&nr=496&view=&page=4&gimmick=&year=2000&promotion=&region=&location=&arena=&showtype=TV-Show%7CPay+Per+View&text=&constellationType=&worker=Triple+H

I pretty much love all the Triple H stuff from 2000.  As much as I think post-quad Triple H has been brutally awful 90% of the time, 2000 Triple H kept the company afloat during Austin's absence.  He was terrific in the heel heat he kept, his high rate of quality matches, and his willingness to sell for anyone and everyone he faced.  Those last two items, especially the most latter, obviously disappeared after the injury.