DVDVR Message Board

Collecting and Selling Sports (and Wrestling!) Cards

Kevin Wilson

Aw man, that 81 set is probably my favourite. I think the colour coded hats in the corner are so charming looking. That, 1980 and 1986 are my favourites for the decade. Special mention to the 83 and 84 sets for the picture in picture look, which I've always liked (1984-85 O Pee Chee/Topps hockey is one of my favourite ever sets and feature the same design element).

Least favourite is the woodgrained 87 set. Just looks drab to me.

See, and I really dig the 87 set. I like the woodgrain. Probably helps that I think that was the first set I built from wax packs, so I spent an inordinate amount of time staring at that design. 

I really like the reverses on the 81's but there is something about the whole setup of the faces of the cards I don't like. I think it's the fact that the borders aren't necessarily colormatched to the team color. Some are, the Bucs had yellow borders, as did the Mariners. But the Dodgers are like a weird pinky-purple, KC is a red-orange, Cincy is green. It weirds me out.

Could be worse, could be the eyesore disaster that is the 1990 Topps set.

Those first three Leaf sets are all really good looking too.

I have one card from the 1972 Topps set and it is one of my favourite looks as well. The team font is amazing. Best part is that Billy is sneakily giving the finger to the photographer, nice little precursor to the Frank Thomas card.

front.php?id2=10383

3 minutes ago, Tabe said:

Billy just wishes he was Old Hoss Radbourn, the first person ever photographed giving the finger. And then did it again. 

I actually forgot about the second one, which was on a tobacco card. It's a beautiful baseball tradition.

On 8/15/2016 at 7:13 AM, Hail Sabin said:

Anyone else buy any 2016 Donruss Football boxes?

Picked up one today, felt like getting some football cards and the box was decently priced. Love the 80s throwback look. Hits were a /25 Marshall Faulk relic and a Wendell Smallwood auto. The Fans of the Game subset is pretty bizarre, never thought I'd have a Megan Fox card...

Those are decent, my The Rookies pulls are Derrick Henry and Sheldon Rankins, Elliott would have been great to find. A few of the die cuts as well, rarest being a /25 Karlos Williams, which would have been a lot better a week ago, and a /25 Dak Prescott. One thing I've noticed about football cards is that they seem even more rookie centered than even baseball cards. Pretty much every set I've seen seems to promise autos of pretty much every rookie coming in.

Fun set though, love the mock 87 cards and the Dick Perez style Gridiron Kings, though its a bit weird for a football set to be paying tribute to a baseball set.

Fucking hate The Sheriff Peyton Manning cards though. That Gruden nickname is the absolute worst.

Probably won't get another box, as there are a couple other things I'm looking at, but will probably finish off the main set once singles start showing up online.

• Like 1

True! Hardcore NFL Fans buy season tickets to a team that your Favorite team is playing since it's the simplest way to get tickets (I bought Jags season tickets since the Packers game by it's self was over $200 and I could get Jags season tickets for less than $400).

Last Night I bought a Prestige box on Ebay which should have 4 autos in it so we'll see what I pull in it.

• 1 month later...

Well I couldn't help myself and bought a box of 2015 WWE Chrome cards.  It was about $10 less than what you usually see online for the box.  I pulled a William Regal Gold Refractor, a John Cena Night of Champions relic card, and a Naomi kiss card.  I thought I hit the jackpot on the Naomi card as I saw it listed on for $75 on a particular online price guide (not Beckett) but then looked on Ebay and seeing that it was barely getting $5 in sold listings.  so yeah nothing has changed on that.  

I will probably get another box to finish out the set 

The dumbest thing I've seen are the same day "virtual" trading cards that the companies are pumping out now.

Basically, if you pre-order a set from Topps or whoever, you get a chance to "win" a jpeg file with a player that was taken just hours earlier at the NFL Rookie Premiere or some such event.

I'll agree the digital cards are dumb, I like having cards I can hold and organize on my shelf. I remember when they first did it with eTopps a decade ago and I thought it was silly then.

I have a box of the next WWE box for pre-order, it is being released 11/2 I think. Just one box this time. I also ordered a box of WWE Slam Attax, my first of those boxes, so that will be exciting.

• 2 weeks later...

I somehow missed this, but this week BBM released a new set of cards that has a variety of Japanese wrestlers in it. No one from New Japan of course, but legends from other promotions or retired wrestlers. Its an 'all sport' type box so I won't be buying any boxes, but I may have to pick up some singles. Look at this beautiful cards.

Spoiler

9YDIdaB.jpg

ihEMjjO.jpg

Y8g1k3i.jpg

DVmarGr.jpg

NRWqIUW.jpg

I don't care what I have to pay for them, those Mutoh and Nagayo cards are mine.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Hail Sabin said:

What other Joshi stars have auto cards?

As far as I know, Nagayo is the only Joshi wrestler in that set. Since Joshi has their own BBM set it looks like they just focused on legends throughout. My dream auto would have been Bull Nakano but she either isn't interested in doing signed cards or is too expensive. I think the only wrestlers from the set I am missing in the picture above are Riki Choshu and  Nobuhiko Takada.

If you mean in general, well every Joshi wrestler has a signed card :) But I assume you meant from the new set.