DVDVR Message Board

Collecting and Selling Sports (and Wrestling!) Cards

Kevin Wilson

36 minutes ago, Hail Sabin said:

I guess the Charlotte & Liv Autos are best cards in each box? 

Yea for sure, Select has some really popular low serial parallels that can boost the value of the base cards, but I didn't pull any. The Gable is /35 but no one cares about Gable.

• 2 weeks later...

For people that are wrestling fans and like the cards but think the hobby boxes are too expensive (they are), I have slowly become more and more of a believer in the blaster boxes. They can be hard to find in person but Fanatics has the Select boxes for sale online, its $30 a box. No guaranteed hit but each box has six inserts/prizms, so there will be shiny things. I had incredible luck in my boxes (I purchased two boxes and already sold two of the cards for $450 total) so you can still pull really nice cards, and if you don't, its still fun and you won't feel too ripped off once you are done.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

I can't post the pic I took at work, but how much would a sealed case of 1991 WCW cards run these days?

A good estimate would be $30 a box X however many boxes are in the case, then add a little premium for it being sealed. That set unfortunately doesn't have any highly sought after cards so while it still has some value just because people enjoy opening older cards, it doesn't have that holy grail push that some older sets do.

Opened a case of 2022 Panini WWE NXT cards. This is their lower level product but oddly also is the first Panini product with on-card autographs. My case was really solid, with a Becky Lynch on card autograph and rookie patch autographs of Cora Jade and Jacy Jayne. Some of my best hits:

Spoiler

z7pTd8k.jpg

• Like 3

• 5 weeks later...
On 9/14/2022 at 10:47 PM, Kevin Wilson said:

Opened a case of 2022 Panini WWE NXT cards. This is their lower level product but oddly also is the first Panini product with on-card autographs. My case was really solid, with a Becky Lynch on card autograph and rookie patch autographs of Cora Jade and Jacy Jayne. Some of my best hits:

Hide contents

z7pTd8k.jpg

Nice cards! I just bought a box of WWE NXT myself over the weekend. Haven’t opened it yet though.

1 hour ago, onelegbrynn said:

Nice cards! I just bought a box of WWE NXT myself over the weekend. Haven’t opened it yet though.

Hard to go too wrong with WWE NXT. Its at a pretty reasonable price point, unlike WWE Impeccable which is $550 a box. Which unfortunately I also ordered ?

I don't *recommend* buying the latest WWE box of cards, Impeccable, due to its price ($500 or so). But, they are really nice looking cards and all autographs are on-card instead of stickers. They also have some metallic cards that are signed, like the Becky.

SAmqj8C.jpg

• Like 3

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

This thread will just be me talking to myself about my growing AEW card collection, I guess. 🤣

Ordered 4 more blaster boxes of the 2022 cards. I've now got a complete set of the basic cards (grey border). It'll be a pain to get all of the gold border ones, but I'll probably do it. I've probably got a whole 'nother complete basic set from all the extras, if not two. Maybe I can sell a complete lot on eBay for cheap or something. But I did pull two more memorabilia cards with FTR and Kazarian. So that brings that collection up to four, with Darby, MJF, FTR and Kazarian. A few red & green sparkle border x/100 and x/399 cards now too.

One day I'll pull the trigger on those Spectrum cards, but not right now. I'm ordering all of this off Amazon, so through 3rd party vendors that are marking these up, but whatever. It's fun, and I have no way to get these in my town or anywhere near me.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Casey said:

This thread will just be me talking to myself about my growing AEW card collection, I guess. 🤣

Ordered 4 more blaster boxes of the 2022 cards. I've now got a complete set of the basic cards (grey border). It'll be a pain to get all of the gold border ones, but I'll probably do it. I've probably got a whole 'nother complete basic set from all the extras, if not two. Maybe I can sell a complete lot on eBay for cheap or something. But I did pull two more memorabilia cards with FTR and Kazarian. So that brings that collection up to four, with Darby, MJF, FTR and Kazarian. A few red & green sparkle border x/100 and x/399 cards now too.

One day I'll pull the trigger on those Spectrum cards, but not right now. I'm ordering all of this off Amazon, so through 3rd party vendors that are marking these up, but whatever. It's fun, and I have no way to get these in my town or anywhere near me.

I got a box of Spectrum and pulled a Marko Stunt auto. I was sad.

• Haha 1

• 5 weeks later...

I still buy wrestling cards. That's no surprise but I did want to say that for the first time in my collecting years I pulled a black prizm! Black prizms are one of the most sought after cards, The Rock's black prizm sold recently for $126K. They are 1/1 and neat looking. Sadly, I did not pull The Rock. Or a wrestler anyone likes.  😞

Spoiler

7ecdi2K.jpg

Also its horribly off-center. Still.... black prizm woot

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

Got the itch to start getting some cards again, so decided to start working on collecting the 1977-78 O Pee Chee hockey set. It's a pretty affordable set to piece together as there were no notable rookies that year. The most expensive one I'll have to pick up is Bobby Orr's last card as a player, which will probably run me 10-20 bucks. I actually used to have it, but a less than scrupulous family member pawned off a bunch of my cards 10+ years ago. That and Bryan Trottier's rookie card from the 76-77 OPC were my most notable losses. Thankfully the person who did it didn't really know what cards were good and most of the ones they pawned were easily replaceable early 90s rookies.

I generally don't care about the condition of the cards when I'm piecing sets together, as long as they're reasonably decent I'm happy. I tend to collect just for the process of collecting, not really to expect to sell them later. Picked up the first 20 cards of the set off Comc, pretty much all of them in the 0.75-1.00 USD range. I already have about 30 cards from the set that were randomly picked up over years of collecting as a kid.

Also picked up a few old wrestling cards as well. A 55-56 Parkhurst Sharpe Brothers card that's probably poor to fair, but only cost $2.50. And Antonio Inoki and McGwire Brothers cards from the 74 Yamakatsu New Japan set.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I’ve kinda caught the bug again on cards.  I did some stuff on ebay during the pandemic but now that there are card shows again, it seems the market for those is pretty healthy around here.  Like at least a couple times a month there’s one that I could conceivably go to.  So I found a large box of mostly 80s-early 90s baseball stuff that I had from back when I used to set up at some shows in the 90s.  I’ve combined these with mostly early 90s stuff that I got passed along from my brother in law and a few (like 50-100 OLD football cards from my father-in-law).  He also had some basketball, football & other sports that I know nothing about like soccer cards./. Wondering if there’s any market at all for this era of stuff.  A friend of mine that exclusively sells cards on ebay for a living was telling me several years back that early 90s stuff is virtually worthless due to mass overproduction and card shop owners were telling people to trash them.  Is this still the case?  Some of these local shows are only $20-$60 to set up at but I don’t want to waste a whole day there if everything I have is worthless.  I’ve pulled out all the star players & maybe can sell these like 4/$1 or something.  I don’t know.  Just trying to figure out if it’s worth my time.

Edited by TimWresPowr

On 7/11/2023 at 4:33 PM, TimWresPowr said:

I’ve kinda caught the bug again on cards.  I did some stuff on ebay during the pandemic but now that there are card shows again, it seems the market for those is pretty healthy around here.  Like at least a couple times a month there’s one that I could conceivably go to.  So I found a large box of mostly 80s-early 90s baseball stuff that I had from back when I used to set up at some shows in the 90s.  I’ve combined these with mostly early 90s stuff that I got passed along from my brother in law and a few (like 50-100 OLD football cards from my father-in-law).  He also had some basketball, football & other sports that I know nothing about like soccer cards./. Wondering if there’s any market at all for this era of stuff.  A friend of mine that exclusively sells cards on ebay for a living was telling me several years back that early 90s stuff is virtually worthless due to mass overproduction and card shop owners were telling people to trash them.  Is this still the case?  Some of these local shows are only $20-$60 to set up at but I don’t want to waste a whole day there if everything I have is worthless.  I’ve pulled out all the star players & maybe can sell these like 4/$1 or something.  I don’t know.  Just trying to figure out if it’s worth my time.

As a general rule, cards from 1988 to the mid-90s have little to no value. There are exceptions here and there but those years fall into when they were mass producing cards, but there weren't yet a lot of the serial/autograph/etc special cards that can rise above even mass production. To give you an idea, when I was younger the 1989 Ken Griffey Jr. RC was a hot card, but so many were made now it has very limited value. PSA has graded the card 97,893 times, which doesn't even take into account other grading companies and ungraded cards. When there are hundreds of thousands of each card made, getting any value is brutal.

But if you have any cards ranging from like 1981 to 1986 there is some value there if it is the right card/rookie card. Its tough though, I had a lot of cards in my collection in that era too and while they were fun to collect, to say they didn't hold their value would be an understatement. Topps Tiffany is one exception since it was more limited, so if you have any Topps Tiffany rookie cards of the bigger players they will sell ok but that's about all I can think of off the top of my head from that era.

I do have some 70s & 80s stuff to move, but not a lot.  I also have a few hundred mid-50s football cards & a few baseball cards from the era from my father in law.

To scratch the itch, I decided to start buying some new product.  I noticed that Walmart will occassionally have stuff 1/2 price that’s a year or 2 old.  I picked up a box of 2022 Bowman Platinum over the weekend.  Not sure how sound a strategy this is though since I assume if the products were really hot they still wouldn’t be sitting in Walmart but my other options were Panini and Select.  I had at least heard some buzz around Bowman and we pulled 13 inserts.