DVDVR Message Board

Collecting and Selling Sports (and Wrestling!) Cards

Kevin Wilson

Still debating on whether to pick up an album and a couple boxes for the World Cup. Collected as a kid obviously, and then got back into it for the past few World Cups with my son, but he's moved on from that kind of stuff now.

On one hand, it's a lot of nostalgic fun for me. On the other, it's a big waste of money. No interest in digital albums.

EDIT: Hmm, are people collecting football stickers now as rookie cards? Just had a quick look on ebay and there's an Erling Haaland sticker going for $150 with multiple bids - https://www.ebay.ca/itm/175226436684?hash=item28cc4f3c4c:g:C08AAOSw30liScl6 I never considered that to be a thing with football stickers. Always thought they were pretty much worthless.

Edited by Swift

5 hours ago, Swift said:

Still debating on whether to pick up an album and a couple boxes for the World Cup. Collected as a kid obviously, and then got back into it for the past few World Cups with my son, but he's moved on from that kind of stuff now.

On one hand, it's a lot of nostalgic fun for me. On the other, it's a big waste of money. No interest in digital albums.

EDIT: Hmm, are people collecting football stickers now as rookie cards? Just had a quick look on ebay and there's an Erling Haaland sticker going for $150 with multiple bids - https://www.ebay.ca/itm/175226436684?hash=item28cc4f3c4c:g:C08AAOSw30liScl6 I never considered that to be a thing with football stickers. Always thought they were pretty much worthless.

A lot of that is just because its Erling Haaland. His cards are among the hottest right now in the sport, anything RCish for him is going to get a good value. Stickers are somewhat popular but most can be obtained for far cheaper.

On 3/30/2022 at 9:42 PM, Kevin Wilson said:

For anyone that still sometimes collects WWE cards, the new company making cards for them (Panini) is going to try to make sure you stop. Panini got the WWE rights to start this year from Topps (Topps will have it right back in a few years), and their first release is next week. Right now the boxes are selling for about $850, and still only contain two autographs just like the Topps boxes that cost around... $60. 

The big signers for the set include Austin, Batista, Undertaker, HHH, Bret Hart, and Hogan. Look, the "Prizm" name is one that sells well and there is value outside of autographs with all the parallels but it feels like just a crazy price increase for a really over-saturated market, as Topps pumped out a lot of WWE sets the last few years. I imagine there will be a lot of bad breaks for this box and I am curious to see if they can maintain this price point going forward. There will likely be retail (Target, Walmart, etc) boxes as well that will be cheaper but they will be really hard to find and probably won't have guaranteed autographs.

As everyone that knows me knows, I have more money than sense so I did pick up a box (for $775, not the current prices). I did really really well though. Downside - did not get any cards for my personal collection which is always the goal, no special Asuka or Io Shirai cards. But I did get some valuable cards, while I think eBay prices are inflated right now (I need to post them quick) the current market has them at around 3K. I won't get that much but still a decent investment.

9OiqMxs.jpg

1 hour ago, Hail Sabin said:

That's probably your Big pull from the Box! 

You're gonna hurt Bron Breakker's feelings. The issue is that redemptions sell for less, particularly with Panini as they are infamously years behind with redemptions. I still have a Chase Young redemption pending since June 2020. So I'll be lucky if I get $250 for it since everyone knows that.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The newest Panini WWE set (Revolution) is far more affordable. Currently a box can be gotten for around $120, which may sound high to normies (and it is in reality) compared to Prizm it is pennies! I got three boxes, here are my pulls (only serial numbered)

0WYxd7u.jpg

Autographs were not guaranteed but I did get two anyway. The Becky is nice. The cards are very very flashy if you are into that sort of thing.

• Like 3

Typically I am not one for professionally grading cards - I think it is a bit of a scam - but it does have some uses. It certainly does protect the cards, I can't deny that - the cases are well made and hard to break. It also comes in handy for re-sell (particularly for older cards), as people don't trust each other to not be hiding damage, so the grade can alleviate that concern.

I opened a bunch of 2012 BBM True Heart packs and in the process, I picked up some popular wrestlers. A relatively new-ish but respected grading company (CSG) had the right combination of price and turnaround time so I decided to get them graded since its hard to get these cards in tip top quality and it may up their re-sell values. I also got my prized possession graded just to keep it protected - a 2021 Topps Finest Asuka Superfractor 1/1 that I paid too much for.

I got the grades back today and I am very happy with them. Anything over a "9" helps the values and a 10 of course is great. I sent in eight cards, and seven got at least a "9" with the eighth getting a 8.5. Not enough of the 2012 BBM cards have sold to really tell their values, or what grading does to them, but there is a market for older cards of Asuka, Hikaru Shida, and Io Shirai. A sample of them:

Spoiler

Y3La8pX.jpg

oQJUiFw.jpg

TZvBQmy.jpg

The Asuka Topps Finest card got a 9.5 which again, very happy about. Even though I am keeping it and displaying it, I wanted it to get at least a "9" just so I didn't have a low graded card sitting on my shelf.

Spoiler

ehGVskU.jpg

I still don't necessarily "encourage" grading but with the market so high and grading prices finally getting better ($20 each for these) its not a terrible idea if you have older cards in good quality that you plan on selling.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Decided to randomly buy a couple cards off of COMC;

A 1913 tobacco card from Player's Wrestling and Jiu-Jitsu, showing a lock-up for 7.25USD and a 1985 Wendi Richter card for 0.85USD. I had $10 of store credit to use.

Since I'm not spending a lot, I just chose the cheapest shipping. It gives you an estimate for arrival and how many orders are ahead of yours. Currently there are about 237 000 orders ahead of my little purchase. Estimated arrival is November 7th

Edited by elizium
  • Haha 3

15 hours ago, elizium said:

Decided to randomly buy a couple cards off of COMC;

A 1913 tobacco card from Player's Wrestling and Jiu-Jitsu, showing a lock-up for 7.25USD and a 1985 Wendi Richter card for 0.85USD. I had $10 of store credit to use.

Since I'm not spending a lot, I just chose the cheapest shipping. It gives you an estimate for arrival and how many orders are ahead of yours. Currently there are about 237 000 orders ahead of my little purchase. Estimated arrival is November 7th

Classic COMC, I try not to use them but their selection is real solid so its hard not to sometimes.

I used them quite a lot around 2017/2018 when I was trying to finish off a bunch of old sets I had from when I was a kid and I never had any issue with cards not being shipped within a week of purchase. But that was before the boom of the last few years, so I can see how that's changed

On 7/11/2022 at 4:29 AM, hammerva said:

Just an FYI if you are in the Atlantic City area at the end of July and have a ton of money to burn then the National Sports Card Convention is for you.   Four days long and tables and autographs all over the place.  

Someday I will attend one of these. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
10 hours ago, Hail Sabin said:

ebay would be your best bet to look into what it goes for. 

I checked on there and saw some Adam Cole signed cards but none of them were the one I have.   I have a couple of card shops around me but am not sure if they buy wrestling cards or not.