DVDVR Message Board

Collecting and Selling Sports (and Wrestling!) Cards

Kevin Wilson

1 minute ago, Kevin Wilson said:

My greatest Grading Shame is many years ago, I helped my step-dad go through his baseball card collection from when he was a kid. Had some older Mantles, Ryan rookie, etc.  I picked a bunch I thought would grade well, got the email they were done and one of the Mantles got a 2. And I'm like, a 2? WTF? I get it back and I hadn't noticed he had written all across the back in black pen ?

Hahahahaha, that's hilarious. 

On 7/14/2021 at 8:59 PM, Kevin Wilson said:

My greatest Grading Shame is many years ago, I helped my step-dad go through his baseball card collection from when he was a kid. Had some older Mantles, Ryan rookie, etc.  I picked a bunch I thought would grade well, got the email they were done and one of the Mantles got a 2. And I'm like, a 2? WTF? I get it back and I hadn't noticed he had written all across the back in black pen ?

Other funny thing is that even a PSA 2 of a 1950's Mickey Mantle could get you at least a grand

It is weird in 2021 to see the idea of cards that don't have license of the actual organization.  They have the recent players but the generic no label jersey look like it is the 1977 NFL set

Although those cards of the current NFL rookies in the style of 1989 Pro Set card is really cool looking

Edited by hammerva

22 hours ago, Tabe said:

Yeah, that's a pretty amazing card.  So Leaf has resurrected the Pro Set name?

Yea, this is the first new year of it. Wikipedia just says that Leaf "assumed control" of the trademark, didn't realize Pro Set filed bankruptcy back in 1992.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hammerva said:

It is weird in 2021 to see the idea of cards that don't have license of the actual organization.  They have the recent players but the generic no label jersey look like it is the 1977 NFL set

Although those cards of the current NFL rookies in the style of 1989 Pro Set card is really cool looking

I agree. It doesn't stop me from buying them but it definitely gives them a different look. I am just mostly used to it since with baseball, only Topps has the official license so even Panini and Donruss can't have the team logos.

I hope they also resurrected the Pro Set tradition of lots and lots of error cards

(Though the 91-92 hockey set is still one of my favourites ever. Big photo on the front, the simple black bar for the name and team logo looks sharp as hell)

• 3 weeks later...

Big news of the day is that PWCC, the largest seller of cards (of all kinds) on Ebay has been suspended from the platform for shilling their auctions.  All of their auctions and listings - over 50,000 of them - have been pulled.  Ebay sent an email to a seemingly-random group of people in which they flat-out said that PWCC was shilling.  PWCC has denied it, of course.

The funny thing about this is that PWCC shilling isn't even remotely new news.  They were doing it 5+ years ago before getting caught and then pretending they'd help Ebay eliminate shill bidding.  When both Ebay and PWCC figured out that doing that would hurt their own respective bottom lines, the whole thing was quietly dropped.  

PWCC has also been widely implicated in the graded card trimming scandal, a case that the feds have supposedly been looking into for over two years.

Beyond the blatantly false headline (Topps hasn't had a "grip" on the trading card market in 40 years), this is huge news.  First time since 1950 that Topps will be unable to make major league baseball cards.

8 hours ago, hammerva said:

Combined with reports that Panini is trying to get NBA and NFL deals as well, it is stunning news.   I would say this is a sad day but eventually Topps was going to be way behind 

This new company has already landed licenses from MLBPA, NFLPA, and NBAPA. The NFL has ownership in the company, as does MLB and at least two of the three unions I mentioned. Panini is finished as an NFL licensee. 

Edited by Tabe

The transition is going to be wonky if they don't work out some deals. Topps deal with MLB is longer than their deal with MLBPA (not sure who drew that up) so while Fanatics gets the MLBPA licensing rights in 2023, they don't get the team rights until 2025. So for two years, in theory Topps can make... I dunno, team cards with logos but not use the players, while Fanatics can make cards with the players but no logos. I assume they will fix this, either buying out Topps two years early or something, otherwise its going to be weird having two years of no cards with both players and proper logos.

Boy.  I really fell out of the loop with the whole card market until this happened.  Now I am just catching all I missed.

I don't need a tutorial on all that. 

Where I am fuzzy is - I am seeing A LOT of hate for Fanatics with the natural assumption they will corner the market on cards (obviously baseball is a done deal MORE SO because they were already in bed with the league).  Basically, I am seeing Fanatics has a bad rap for quality especially and their customer service seems bad.

I've never had the "pleasure" of dealing with Fanatics.  Are they that bad?

I have never had issues using them but granted I haven't done it much.  The biggest issue in terms of card collecting is they have never done it.   They have sold them so I guess they aren't completely blind on this.   This would be like Dick's Sporting Goods getting the license to the NBA cards.   Just because you sell a million T shirts doesn't mean you understand how to create 4 or 5 sets that both the hobby and retail would be intrigued by

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

And more news - Topps was planning on going public... but then they lost the MLB deal

This is exactly what Fanatics wanted.  They will certainly swoop in and pick up Topps.  And probably continue using the Topps name.

1 hour ago, EdA said:

Where I am fuzzy is - I am seeing A LOT of hate for Fanatics with the natural assumption they will corner the market on cards (obviously baseball is a done deal MORE SO because they were already in bed with the league).  Basically, I am seeing Fanatics has a bad rap for quality especially and their customer service seems bad.

I've never had the "pleasure" of dealing with Fanatics.  Are they that bad?

As with all licensed league apparel, their stuff tends to be overpriced.  In the case of their hockey stuff, the jerseys are not accurate and so get a lot of hate from collectors.  Some swear by them as they are apparently quite comfortable - but they're more like sweatshirts than jerseys, which jersey people hate.  And the quality is not great.  And, as I said, they're not accurate.  They produced a Red Wings jersey with gray/silver numbers on it, for example - Detroit has white numbers.  Stuff like that.

Most of the concerns, though, I think boil down to, "OMG!  They're not Topps!", "OMG!  They've never done this before!", and "OMG!  They'll raise prices on everything!"  Well, I expect the Topps name to be acquired.  And the Topps facilities.  So that handles the first two.  For the last, I'm not sure how much more prices can go up.  Topps already sells a product that's $20,000 a box.