DVDVR Message Board

Smackdown Spoilers for 7/7/16

victor

Main Event Spoilers:

* Cesaro won a lengthy good back & forth match over Curtis Axel with a Sharpshooter

* Apollo Crews talks to JoJo backstage about Rusev

* Baron Corbin wins a quick match over Sin Cara with End of Days

* Goldust and R-Truth defeated The Ascension with Tyler Breeze and Fandango on commentary. Golden Truth got the win with a double team and had good support from the crowd. Another quick match

* Dolph Ziggler is out for commentary

* WWE United States Champion Rusev defeated Apollo Crews in a non-title match with The Accolade. Good back and forth match. Crews got a hugh pop.

Smackdown Spoilers:

* WWE Champion Dean Ambrose kicks off SmackDown as the special guest ring announcer for Jey Uso vs. Seth Rollins

* Seth Rollins defeated Jey Uso. Ambrose trolled Rollins on the mic and made some funny announcements during the match to great reactions. Rollins won a lengthy match with a Pedigree. Ambrose and Rollins had words after the match. Ambrose called Rollins a jackass and Ambrose rushed the ring but Rollins ran away

* Zack Ryder defeated Sheamus with the diving elbow drop

* Tom Phillips interviews Ryder on the ramp and he says he has his momentum back, then challenges Rusev for the WWE United States Title

Rusev cuts a backstage promo and dismisses Ryder as a legit challenger.

* Becky Lynch comes out for a match but Natalya attacks from behind. Natalya beats her down at ringside and applies a Sharpshooter.

* Xavier Woods does a sitdown interview backstage about The Wyatt Family.

* Enzo Amore and Big Cass cut a promo in the ring about saving John Cena on RAW. They told The Club to stop attacking Cena. This led to The Club walking out and they cut a promo about Cena not being at the taping.

* Singles Match: AJ Styles defeated Enzo Amore with the Styles Clash.

* Chris Jericho is backstage looking for his blue scarf. Kevin Owens is wearing it and they have some words.

* Singles Match: The Miz defeated Kalisto with a Skull Crushing Finale.

* They aired the same Bob Backlund – Darren Young vignette from RAW

* Renee Young interviews Sasha Banks backstage. Dana Brooke and WWE Women’s Champion Charlotte interrupt and Sasha vs. Dana is made for RAW

* Sami Zayn defeated Chris Jericho with Kevin Owens on commentary. The “ole!” chants started early and there were several near falls. The action went outside of the ring and Owens threw a drink at Sami, then Sami threw Jericho at Owens. Sami fought off a distraction from Owens and got the pin on Jericho with a roll-up. After the match, Jericho interrupted Sami’s celebration with a Codebreaker. Owens then destroyed Sami and hit a pop-up powerbomb to end the show

There was no mention of Brock Lesnar or his opponent at Summerslam during the taping.

Sheamus is better than Ryder when it comes to everything about pro wrestling except connecting with and engaging the crowd.

I think the best thing for Sheamus would be a Kofi-esque career rejuvenation by joining the Wyatts.

I agree that Sheamus needs a jumpstart, but he doesn't fit with the Wyatts.  Besides, they have a big guy with red hair/beard already.

With the upcoming split, you'd think they'd want to keep anyone who's remotely usable as a main eventer somewhat protected. Then again, whoever they call up may get the spot Sheamus has right now.

18 hours ago, JonnyLaw said:

Sheamus is better than Ryder when it comes to everything about pro wrestling except connecting with and engaging the crowd.

Honestly, I think Sheamus is better at that too. He still gets a decent heel reaction despite being poorly booked for a year or more.

Ryder's overness seems to have more to do with his YouTube channel than anything he does in the ring. Does being entertaining on social media count as a pro wrestling skill in 2016? I'm genuinely unsure.

Man, fuck Sheamus. I'm the merchandising manager for a retail store and I've been sitting on two dozen Sheamus figures taking up space in the toy department for a year. It's the only WWE merchandise we don't sell through within a week. Oh, except for these terrifying Sheamus screen masks, of which I also have a dozen taking up space.  

x354-q80.jpgWho's going to buy that?! 

Man, fuck Sheamus. 

Non-over ass, vitamin deficiency ass... (walks away muttering)

• Like 7

2 hours ago, (BP) said:

Man, fuck Sheamus. I'm the merchandising manager for a retail store and I've been sitting on two dozen Sheamus figures taking up space in the toy department for a year. It's the only WWE merchandise we don't sell through within a week. Oh, except for these terrifying Sheamus screen masks, of which I also have a dozen taking up space.  

x354-q80.jpgWho's going to buy that?! 

Man, fuck Sheamus. 

Non-over ass, vitamin deficiency ass... (walks away muttering)

Sounds like the store should have a DVDVR Free Figure giveaway, I'd take one!

I stopped really collecting figures around the time of Mattel taking over/Sheamus' debut.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, tbarrie said:

Honestly, I think Sheamus is better at that too. He still gets a decent heel reaction despite being poorly booked for a year or more.

Ryder's overness seems to have more to do with his YouTube channel than anything he does in the ring. Does being entertaining on social media count as a pro wrestling skill in 2016? I'm genuinely unsure.

What year are you living in? Sheamus won the Money In The Bank contract last year and cashed it in to get a World Title reign despite crowds not caring about him for years. Meanwhile, Ryder is still over after *four* straight years of being jobbed out.

Nobody gives a flying handshake about Sheamus. His only value is as a plug-and-play guy during the lean times to keep your Champion busy while he kills time between his meaningful feuds. The whole reason he's able to be useful in that manner is how protected he was when he did get to hold the second fiddle World title hostage for a good little while. Losing to Ryder on a random Smackdown doesn't effect his usefulness whenever they want to go that route with him again. Besides there will be as few fucks given as possible whenever a Champion has to mark time by feuding with Sheamus no matter what. He had his turn and he was just a mere placeholder. While he'll waste everybody's time getting shots at the second fiddle belt, there's too many better newer faces that deserve their first run with the belt before he gets another go.

• Like 1

I like this episode.  If the beginning part with random people talking is a new thing then I fully welcome it.  Was always a sucker for those short opening promos similar to what SNME did.  Also like Dean being announcer, thought he did a great job being the antagonist for Seth.  Was pleased to see Sami win and have no issue with Jericho doing Codebreaker since he was a sore loser.  Along with Kevin beating him up this sets up their PPV match and potentially a feud with Jericho if they both get drafted and Kevin's on the other show.

• Like 1

I hate the face ideology to not attack managers when they are in the way. Like Kalisto could have dived on Maryse when she decided to help Miz knowing damn well Kalisto was going to dive on dude. I'd fucking dive because fuck it, she wants to be part of the match so fucking bad then I will be happy to oblige. Then again, I would be a heel so maybe I am misunderstanding the psychology.