DVDVR Message Board

Matches that rule, but don't get pimped heavily anymore?(or never in some cases)

Biz Smarkie

Orton vs. HHH (last man standing, No Mercy 07): I don't think these two have had a good match together before or since, but this match was pretty much perfect. I don't know if it was the horrible setup or the fact that no one has ever really liked face HHH, but it never seemed this match got its just due.

Probably because of the title clusterfuck going on around it, but I'll second. That's the match that they should have had five times over in bigger situations.

That AJPW tag is soooooooooo goooooooood. Probably Hansen's last stand as a performer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tH62dVRAokY

This is probably the best lighttube match ever and maybe BJW's best deathmatch ever. And yes that includes the Honma/Yamakawa matches. 

This is honestly my favorite deathmatch and match from BJW in general. Nice to see it mentioned.

Acolytes mauling the Hardyz and Michael P.Z Hayez at Fully Loaded 99. 

I watched that last night and was just coming to post it. DAMN.

Bradshaw just kicks the shit out of Hayes at the start. Kayfabe wise it should be a stretcher job. Hayes, to his credit, shrugs it off but you can see when the match finally settles into a tag in the ring, he's suffering. Jeff hits two fucking light speed topes in this, and dies a horrible death on one. Matt gamely slugs the Acolytes straight in the jaw, I love his punches. 

It's not a hardcore match, but the one weapon shot (while gimmicked) hits Bradshaw straight in the fucking face. It's great. This is up there with the Foley/Payne vs Nasties match as a brawl that didn't promise a lot, but is a ton of fun. Only thing that lets it down is the crowd is a bit flat as it's heel vs heel. Why they bothered making the Hardy's heel so early on I will never know.  

Re: overlooked stuff from WWF C-shows, me and my housemate used to tape every Heat, Jakked, Metal, whatever. Always looking for our favourite guys who were never on Raw to get the chance to do something decent. At the time I LOVED this Crash Holly vs TAKA match. It's not a classic or anything, but is a ton more than they were having the chance to do otherwise. Would have been nice to see both guys in the WCW cruiserweight mix, as WCW cruisers got more TV time and more leeway to go for it, even though they meant very little to the overall story of the show.

One of the few times Crash's finisher was seen on TV. Screw your Air Raid Crash/Kryptonite Krunch nonsense, it will always be THE CRASH COURSE!! to me.

This may be my favorite thread ever on this board, there have been some absolute gems that I've either forgot about or have never watched. 

Here is one with the 2 best TV Champions of all time trying to rip off each other's arms and legs.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xbukoi_arn-anderson-vs-steven-regal-wcw-su_sport

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xbulcn_arn-anderson-vs-steven-regal-wcw-su_sport

Bradshaw just kicks the shit out of Hayes at the start. Kayfabe wise it should be a stretcher job. Hayes, to his credit, shrugs it off but you can see when the match finally settles into a tag in the ring, he's suffering. Jeff hits two fucking light speed topes in this, and dies a horrible death on one. Matt gamely slugs the Acolytes straight in the jaw, I love his punches. 

It's not a hardcore match, but the one weapon shot (while gimmicked) hits Bradshaw straight in the fucking face. It's great. This is up there with the Foley/Payne vs Nasties match as a brawl that didn't promise a lot, but is a ton of fun. Only thing that lets it down is the crowd is a bit flat as it's heel vs heel. Why they bothered making the Hardy's heel so early on I will never know.  

Re: overlooked stuff from WWF C-shows, me and my housemate used to tape every Heat, Jakked, Metal, whatever. Always looking for our favourite guys who were never on Raw to get the chance to do something decent. At the time I LOVED this Crash Holly vs TAKA match. It's not a classic or anything, but is a ton more than they were having the chance to do otherwise. Would have been nice to see both guys in the WCW cruiserweight mix, as WCW cruisers got more TV time and more leeway to go for it, even though they meant very little to the overall story of the show.

One of the few times Crash's finisher was seen on TV. Screw your Air Raid Crash/Kryptonite Krunch nonsense, it will always be THE CRASH COURSE!! to me.

I remember that Crash vs Taka match as I was only able to watch Metal for a months in late 99. Crash was such a good wrestler. Taka was too if he felt like it. 

This Kanyon vs DDP match is really good. These two really go well together and they try their best to steal the show.  

I've never forgotten the finish to that match. Wham. Highlight of the match.

I don't know how to embed Dailymotion videos but

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x5pt3d_one-night-stand-2008-singapore-cane_shortfilms

Singapore Cane Match at One Night Stand 2008. This is a few months into Big Show's return and this is when you knew his run was going to be awesome. The match is largely people running into Show who drops them with spot after spot. Morrison is running around throwing kicks and cane shots around like a mad-man, Chavo bumps really well, Punk and Dreamer are OK but this is all about Show. He ends up getting cut when he hits his head off the stairs and goes thermonuclear, picking up a garbage can full of Canes, bringing them into the ring and breaking them all over everyone's head. I need to go and watch a ton of Big Show in 2008 now.

• Like 1

I don't know how to embed Dailymotion videos but

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x5pt3d_one-night-stand-2008-singapore-cane_shortfilms

Singapore Cane Match at One Night Stand 2008. This is a few months into Big Show's return and this is when you knew his run was going to be awesome. The match is largely people running into Show who drops them with spot after spot. Morrison is running around throwing kicks and cane shots around like a mad-man, Chavo bumps really well, Punk and Dreamer are OK but this is all about Show. He ends up getting cut when he hits his head off the stairs and goes thermonuclear, picking up a garbage can full of Canes, bringing them into the ring and breaking them all over everyone's head. I need to go and watch a ton of Big Show in 2008 now.

That's a good shout. Highlight is a pissed Big Show with the cut twatting people with canes.

Savage vs Flair Mania 8

I have said many times, and still maintain, that, starting with Flair and Perfect's pre-match promo, going through the match, the post-match chaos/kiss/slap, and then both the Flair/Perfect/Heenan and the Savage/Liz post-match promos, collectively is the best 30-45 minutes of television the WWWF/WWF/WWE has ever produced.

• Like 1

Savage vs Flair Mania 8

I have said many times, and still maintain, that, starting with Flair and Perfect's pre-match promo, going through the match, the post-match chaos/kiss/slap, and then both the Flair/Perfect/Heenan and the Savage/Liz post-match promos, collectively is the best 30-45 minutes of television the WWWF/WWF/WWE has ever produced.

That entire angle was 100% gold.  Flair was the perfect heel, and being flanked by two dicks like Heenan and Perfect was just icing on the cake.  The fact that this match wasn't the main even is a tragedy.  You had arguably the two best workers of the previous decade in a match with the decency of one man's life on the line.  I don't know if it fits in this thread based on the fact that I think everyone who was watching wrestling at that time loves the shit out of that match. 

This was when they were starting to get The Big Show's KO punch over, and what better way than to have him win a slugfest with Taker. Just two big dudes swinging away in not quite a sprint, but a really fast-paced match considering it's Taker and Show. Not a single resthold, just a lot of clubberin. Show bumped when he needed to, but never looked more dominant than he did when the match was over.

Taz vs Douglas Guilty as Charged 99

This probably doesn't get pimped because it's awful. It's a really terrible 1999 brawl through the crowd with no heat and Shane Douglas trying to be a bad-ass at the finish to set up his face run instead of tapping like he should have.

Also on the ECW front, I just remembered the CW Anderson VS Tommy Dreamer PPV matches. The one at Massacre on 34th Street is good and part of a really strong show (save the main event), while the "I Quit" match at Guilty as Charged 2001 is the sole highlight of a pretty shitty final PPV for ECW.

Taz vs Douglas Guilty as Charged 99

This probably doesn't get pimped because it's awful. It's a really terrible 1999 brawl through the crowd with no heat and Shane Douglas trying to be a bad-ass at the finish to set up his face run instead of tapping like he should have.

The better Taz vs. Douglas match is the rematch from Jan 1999 at the ECW arena. Much better than their PPV match. I think it's on one of the WWE ECW DVDs.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x9p75f_ahmed-johnson-vs-vader_sport by http://www.dailymotion.com/Moonshamefuck what you say about Ahmed, his first 9-10 months  he was a beast this was almost All Japan Heavy Weight style on Raw which was unheard of at the time, sure Vader deserves most the credit here but Ahmed was bringing it big time. When Faarrooq came in and injured him he was never the same and i guess he knew he wasn't gonna be push and stopped caring.

one of my favorite Kotr Qualifier matches

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x9p75f_ahmed-johnson-vs-vader_sport by http://www.dailymotion.com/Moonshamefuck what you say about Ahmed, his first 9-10 months  he was a beast this was almost All Japan Heavy Weight style on Raw which was unheard of at the time, sure Vader deserves most the credit here but Ahmed was bringing it big time. When Faarrooq came in and injured him he was never the same and i guess he knew he wasn't gonna be push and stopped caring.

one of my favorite Kotr Qualifier matches

I loved Ahmed, but God damn was he one crazy, injury-prone SOB. I loved this match, but that dive right at the start of the match (2:57)... Jesus Christ.

After the buildup, Shane should have won the match and lost at the ECW Arena. It is a good match and Florida was consistently terrible during this period.