DVDVR Message Board

[MOVIE] July 2016 Movie thread

AxB

4 hours ago, Ultimo Necro said:

Popstar: Never stop Never stopping.

Laughed my ass off throughout but it tailed off towards the end. So immature in places but I love that humor.

Just watched this as well and agree. Glad it was only 90 minutes but thought it was pretty damn funny for what it was. 

• Like 1

On 07/07/2016 at 3:14 AM, AxB said:

Repo Men (2010) is not a sequel to Repo Man. Which is a shame, because if ever a movie deserves a sequel, that's the one (apparently there is an unofficial sequel called Repo Chick that went straight to DVD, but I've not seen that).

Self-quoting because... BBC2, Saturday July 16th July, 00:55 Repo Chick (2009) dir: AlexCox.

Cheers for that, the BBC. Does someone who schedules BBC2 read the board or something? Show Soulboy again. And the Grass Arena, that was great. Mark Rylance!

I saw Legend of Tarzan. It's well-paced and feels more like an old school adventure picture than the overstuffed Bruckheimer spectacle I was expecting going in. Everyone's servicable in their roles; Waltz is still getting mileage out of his mannered monster routine, but I was pleasantly surprised by how much Sam Jackson  was in it. It's essentially a two-hander with him and Tarzan.

I will say that even though I found it a breezy two hours, the need for a Tarzan movie in 2016 and the complicated racial politics that come along as baggage weren't far from my mind the entire time.  

On 7/9/2016 at 10:01 AM, Ultimo Necro said:

Popstar: Never stop Never stopping.

Laughed my ass off throughout but it tailed off towards the end. So immature in places but I love that humor.

ASAP Rocky lunchables had me making stupid laughter noises in a packed theatre.

Really enjoyed it and was originally kind of bummed I had to settle on seeing that, as Keanu was already out of theatres by that point.

Just watched 10 Cloverfield Lane and thoroughly enjoyed it. I guess I'm a sucker for JJ produced kaiju movies because I love Cloverfield and Super 8 way more than most, but Goodman and Winstead delivered big time in this one.

• Like 1

Watched Harold Lloyd's Speedy after randomly coming across it on Hulu. It is wonderful, a perfect coda to the Jazz Age as well as Lloyd's famed "Glasses" go-getter character. The story could be shit (SPOILER: it isn't) but would be so worth watching just for the sumptuous 1920s NYC footage, including a glorious extended sequence at Coney Island. Check out the cameo!

I just watched The Last Heist. There is absolutely no reason to watch this movie at all, and it gets worse with every passing scene (and it already starts out shit). But... It's got Henry Rollins as a serial killer. If, like me, you're a fan of Henry Rollins, fast-forward between scenes that don't have him in it, and just watch it for him. His stilted acting is perfect for the role. But, really, do skip everything else.

I'm watching the Stephen Chow movie "The Mermaid" now and the scene with the police sketch artist is one of the funniest things I've seen.  Nothing that hasn't been done before, but still hilarious.

16 minutes ago, EVA said:

For some reason, I hopped on Netflix today and watched a double feature of SPOTLIGHT and THE BIG SHORT, and I'm now officially all out of faith in humanity.

The older I get and the less free time I'm left with have made it really hard to watch things that might be rewarding to take in as art but are almost certainly going to bum me out. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, (BP) said:

The older I get and the less free time I'm left with have made it really hard to watch things that might be rewarding to take in as art but are almost certainly going to bum me out. 

Same here. I really can't bring myself to watch "important" movies anymore, especially in the theater. 

In my 20s I was all about wanting to take in high quality movies with a message, but now entering my late 30s I just want to watch Jason Statham kick some ass, Key & Peele smoke some pot and get into shenanigans, or just rewatch Rocky for the billionth time.

I know objectively that 12 Years A Slave was probably a great movie, but I will never see a time where I can bring myself to invest two hours into watching that.

Yep. I saw something at the store today (I don't think it was Creed even though I passed that up for whatever reason) that was a major "serious" film and just balked. And I have all the time in the world now... Instead I went for Green Room and Legend, the latter of which I imagine is gonna be a piece of shit in one way or another, especially since I've already seen The Krays. 

You know what really sucks though? Going to the only video store left in town (the Family Video chain) and about half of the titles on display are TV shows. I mean, it's nice that you gave me a free rental, but separate the two at least. 

Ooooo, you know what, I think it was that movie Greenland or whatever about the broken Irish family with the drunk mother. I just can't deal with it some days. 

EDIT: Def. wrong title. Any help?

Not like I've seen all of them but top three for me would be 

Aguirre

Fitzcarraldo

Nosferatu

All of them have moments of tedium but if you're in for the long haul, you'll get what you deserve. 

Green Room kind of pissed me off at first (what band would walk up to a venue, have one of their members flat-out goozled and threatened by the promoter, and not turn around and drive away?! No matter how dire the straits they're in) but once it got going, MAN. That metaphorical bat hits you in the back of the head and you're dizzy the rest of the film, and it does not let up from there on out. RIP to Anton Yelchin for this being one of his last vehicles, and quite the slog. And Alia Shawkat... well, I got a number if she'd ever want it. 

Another Green Room problem

Spoiler

For any of you who've ever been in a real punk rock band: 

Would you ever (EVER) walk into a straight-up Nazi White Power venue complete with flags, stickers, bomber-jacket-wearing boneheads and not only decide to play, but start your setlist with "Nazi Punks Fuck Off" by the Dead Kennedys?!?! Them kids should have said "hey, it's Portland, let's find some crusty with a studded jacket on the street, at least we can stay there and either A. get some real hospitality from cool people, or B. watch him and his buddies nod off on dope instead of getting attacked by maniac racists". 

The whole "we don't do social media" thing doesn't play either. They should've put the story's timeframe in the late '80s when the Pacific Northwest was the major racist breeding ground in the punk scene instead; it would've made things more plausible and removed the entire problem of cell phones. How you book a tour without the Internet these days, you tell me.