DVDVR Message Board

MLB 2016 - JULY

Dolfan in NYC

8 hours ago, Craig H said:

Also, one last thing, everything has fallen off. So what did I think I was getting? Maybe it was the guy who has elite defense, an above average to great hitter, and someone with good to great discipline at the plate. The Cubs are receiving the elite defense portion of that and nothing else.

It's also weird. Every time Heyward comes up, you chime in and with you, it always comes down to power. It's not always about power and to get paid what Heyward was paid doesn't mean you solely need to be a power hitter who is on base all the time.

You thought you were getting the player his reputation said he was . You got the player his numbers said he really was. 

Why would you think you were getting a "to great" hitter? He's never been great. And, no, it's not all about power with me. But we're talking a guy with a .350 OBP - not even remotely great. It's pretty good but not great.  His SLG is .419 - again, not even remotely great. 

So why do I talk about him? Because you - and lots of other people - think he's an offensive superstar. He's not. He's an elite defensive guy and a very good overall player (before this year) but he ain't on the level his reputation claims. That's all. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Tabe said:

You thought you were getting the player his reputation said he was . You got the player his numbers said he really was. 

Why would you think you were getting a "to great" hitter? He's never been great. And, no, it's not all about power with me. But we're talking a guy with a .350 OBP - not even remotely great. It's pretty good but not great.  His SLG is .419 - again, not even remotely great. 

So why do I talk about him? Because you - and lots of other people - think he's an offensive superstar. He's not. He's an elite defensive guy and a very good overall player (before this year) but he ain't on the level his reputation claims. That's all. 

God this is a retarded argument. 

Heywards WRC+ In his career. 100+ is considered "MLB average.

134, 96, 121, 120, 111, 120, and this year, a 74. In his career, save one season, he's been an above average to good hitter. And that's how he's been viewed, not as an "Offensive Superstar." How in gods name have we "gotten what his stats said he was"

7 hours ago, Tabe said:

This is just too dumb for me to continue on with. It was dumb when you argued the same shit on Facebook months ago and it's still dumb now.

Moving on.

Oh don't worry

Hey Dolfan - I hope you have the animal gifs queued up

9:00am: Yahoo’s Jeff Passan reports that hard-throwing right-hander Luis Castillois also expected to go to the Padres in the deal (Twitter link). Castillo was sixth among Marlins farmhands on Baseball America’s midseason update of their top prospects and eighth on MLB.com’s midseason Marlins rankings.

Oh, it gets even better -

9:58am: There’s even more to the deal, as Ken Rosenthal tweets that right-handerCarter Capps is also headed to the Padres in the deal, with righty Tayron Guerrero going back to the Marlins. Capps entered the season in the eighth/ninth inning mix for Miami but underwent Tommy John surgery before the season began.

Jason Heyward's career low in walks is 48, coming in a season in which he played 104 games. His career walk rate is 10.8%, the same as Josh Donaldson. The league average from 2010-2016 has ranged from between 7.6% and 8.5%. Saying "he doesn't walk a lot" is stupid. Let's move on, because someone doesn't know what they're talking about and will keep beating that damn drum with his eyes closed.

The Marlins completely overpaid for two months of Cashner and Rea, but what the hell do you expect? On one hand, it does make them better, and hey, good for them that they're finally doing something. On the other hand, they got fleeced by San Diego for the second time in a month. Cosart has his share of issues and Capps won't be a factor until probably next May or so, but they could easily be turned around in 2017 for even more future value. Naylor's a ways away, but he was the best chip the Marlins had to deal that wasn't contributing to their team right now.

The market for pitching right now is insane. Real annoyed at Vizcaino's oblique strain right now, and I would not mind if Teheran got moved for one of these ridiculous packages.

• Like 1

Just now, Joe Lucia said:

The Marlins completely overpaid for two months of Cashner and Rea, but what the hell do you expect?

I expect animal gifs

Where the hell is Dolfan?

• Like 1

They're talking to the Royals about Davis. KC apparently asked for Giolito this week and rightfully got laughed at. They're also talking to the Pirates about Melancon, who would likely come cheaper, but Pittsburgh isn't going to just give him away.

This could all be solved by just letting Reynaldo Lopez pitch out of the pen...

Well the newest hotness is the Nats would trade Giollito straight up for Miller which be stupid for the Nats

But then Heyman was all "the Yanks wouldn't accept that" which is stupid of them

Of course as I said on Twitter - I'm convinced Heyman's source is Hal Steinbrenner

I'm not sure which side would be more insane - the Nationals for offering it, or the Yankees for declining it.

I wonder if they'd decline it because they don't think it's enough, or because they don't want to sell.

I'll make people do a double take and say: I wouldn't trade Miller for Giollito straight up either. You are talking of the best reliever in the game with 2 years left for a guy with tons of talent, but his results in the minors haven't matched it. Also, one TJS already done. I can certainly buy someone not valuing Gio as a top 30 prospect.

Yeah - the Yanks seem to be selling in name only since there is a story out that teams are interested in Beltran but front office folks AND Girardi don't want to trade him because "it would signal that they were throwing in the towel on the season"

So yeah - I am taking it Hal is only approving absurdly one sided deals

9 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Yeah - the Yanks seem to be selling in name only since there is a story out that teams are interested in Beltran but front office folks AND Girardi don't want to trade him because "it would signal that they were throwing in the towel on the season"

So yeah - I am taking it Hal is only approving absurdly one sided deals

Oh, Hal would accept A-Rod for a bag of baseballs, Phil.  

Could be a high scoring game in Toronto tonight. The Orioles load the bases and plate 2 in the first, the Jays first 3 batters in the bottom of the first go: homer, warning track fly out, homer.