DVDVR Message Board

UFC 200: Tate vs. Nunes (7/9/2016) - Las Vegas, NV (T-Mobile Arena)

Elsalvajeloco

I trust that Johny has his weight issues finally figured out, but who knows. I thought that about other dudes in the past, like AJ years ago, and it wound up being a huge problem until, in AJ's case, he fought at a more appropriate weight class.

31 minutes ago, Craig H said:

I trust that Johny has his weight issues finally figured out, but who knows. I thought that about other dudes in the past, like AJ years ago, and it wound up being a huge problem until, in AJ's case, he fought at a more appropriate weight class.

Rumble was the rare case in MMA where he was able to get away with being a giant fighter for his weight class. Then, when the lack of discipline and getting older intersected, there was no way he could get down to a certain weight. Usually, that's more prevalent in boxing because the increments between weight classes is smaller in the lower weight classes.

Hendricks is pretty much a true welterweight, and that's what makes it so damn important that he make the 170 pound limit or the allotted weight with the additional pound for non-title bouts. Barao should be fighting at featherweight, but you can tell why it's going to be hard to replicate that success he had when he was able to make 135 much easier than the first Dillashaw fight and beyond. Unless you pack ungodly power like a Lineker for your weight class and the surrounding ones or you're a supreme grappler, it's going to be tough to make it to where you once were. Robert Whittaker is a better fighter at middleweight, but a lot of that is the matchups. If Whittaker fought a top middleweight the way he did Sapo at 197, it's not going to end very well for Whittaker. That's kinda how I feel about Hendricks. Even at 5'8" or 5'9", he can melt some of the middle tier middleweights. A fighter like CB Dollaway has made a career out of running headlong into big strikes. However, for him to fight a Yoel Romero or Luke Rockhold, he would have to make improvements and strides as a fighter that I don't think many fighters have made because those dudes are massive for their weight class along with being great athletes.

So it comes down to: Do you want to be a perennial top ten or maybe even top 5 fighter in one weight class or a borderline top ten to twenty talent in another?

You don't want to be one these fighters wasting years fighting at one weight or switching back-and-forth when it's not a superfight or money fight type scenario.

9 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Rumble was the rare case in MMA where he was able to get away with being a giant fighter for his weight class. Then, when the lack of discipline and getting older intersected, there was no way he could get down to a certain weight.

I found the finals of that night done right competition thing one the youtube, and at one point, Rumble and Cain V faced off. They're the exact same size. Same height, same build. But one always fights at heavyweight, around 240-5 lbs, and one used to cut to 170.

Did that twitter click stop in mid wink?  I don't think I ever wanted the image of Rock Lesnar winking at me to be in front of me, but not only did that happen, but it froze there like a snapshot of my future death.

I can't believe I'm going to watch TNA and UFC in the same week!

• Like 1

To think people have speculated the UFC 200 lineup for years and this weekend, its time! I’ll preview the main card from top to bottom.

The main event features the unification of the UFC Light Heavyweight Championship as Daniel Cormier defends the UFC Light Heavyweight Championship against the Interim holder, Jon Jones. This is a rematch from UFC 182 where Jones won defending his UFC Light Heavyweight Championship and Cormier’s only loss. Jones was then stripped of the title after a hit-and-run so that’s why we’ve a UFC Light Heavyweight Champion and an Interim Champion.

The co-main event took everyone by surprise as a video package played at UFC 199 for UFC 200 ended with the announcement Brock Lesnar was returning to fight at UFC 200. This is unprecedented as Brock wrestles for the WWE. Brock Lesnar is the biggest draw in the history of the UFC, former UFC Heavyweight Champion and shares the record of most title defenses in this division (2). I thought Lesnar would fight someone easy compared to others. Mark Hunt is Brock’s opponent. Oh boy at that man and the one punch knockout power he possesses. Kudos to Brock.

I fancied there would be a rare third UFC Championship fight on a show. We have for the UFC Women’s Bantamweight Championship and this was the last title fight confirmed. Miesha Tate defends against Amanda Nunes. UFC be risking Tate vs. Ronda Rousey 3 and Tate vs. Holm 2. Look what happened to Holly Holm after beating Rousey for said championship, she lost it to Tate in her next fight.

Frankie Edgar vs. Jose Aldo 2 is for the Interim UFC Featherweight Championship. In their first fight at UFC 156, Aldo retained his UFC Featherweight Championship. I wouldn’t be surprised if the Interim is upgraded to full status as I doubt Conor McGregor will make it back down to that weight class. Additionally if Conor beats Nate Diaz at UFC 202, good chance you’ll get the rubber match.

Cain Velasquez vs. Travis Browne in the Heavyweight division should be a good opening fight to the main card. Velasquez also tied the record for most UFC Heavyweight Championship consecutive defenses.

I’m picking Jon Jones by decision but hoping it goes the other way, Mark Hunt walk away KO in one, Miesha Tate wins a decision, Frankie Edgar by KO/TKO in four and becomes only the third man in UFC history to win UFC Championships in two different weight classes and Cain Velasquez wins the main card opener by KO/TKO in round two.

I think people are underestimating Brock a bit. I'd bet on Hunt too to win but most of what I see online is people predicting a first round KO for Hunt. Brock has never been knocked out and while he did look rough in his last two fights, that is when he was battling diverticulitis. In the Carwin fight he showed that he was able to take a beating and out-stamina a heavy hitter, and he man-handled Mir. If Lesnar gets Hunt to the mat and can just out-strength him, I could see him pulling out a victory.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Kevin Wilson said:

I think people are underestimating Brock a bit. I'd bet on Hunt too to win but most of what I see online is people predicting a first round KO for Hunt. Brock has never been knocked out and while he did look rough in his last two fights, that is when he was battling diverticulitis. In the Carwin fight he showed that he was able to take a beating and out-stamina a heavy hitter, and he man-handled Mir. If Lesnar gets Hunt to the mat and can just out-strength him, I could see him pulling out a victory.

I agree Brock Lesnar's never been knocked out cold (made that point to my Dad when talking about about the card) and he impressively survived those Shane Carwin punches. If any current fighter can put Brock properly to sleep, Mark Hunt has the best shot.

He may be slimmed down to make 265, but goddamn is he still massive.

My question is more about his mindframe, and how do you possibly prepare to fight someone like Mark Hunt out of the cage for 4 1/2 years with a 5 week camp. If he managed to beat Hunt, that's recipe for Comeback Fighter of the Year type stuff.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

He may be slimmed down to make 265, but goddamn is he still massive.

My question is more about his mindframe, and how do you possibly prepare to fight someone like Mark Hunt out of the cage for 4 1/2 years with a 5 week camp. If he managed to beat Hunt, that's recipe for Comeback Fighter of the Year type stuff.

Dominick Cruz would have competition for Comeback Fighter of the Year. Imagine what a Brock Lesnar win might do for him, UFC and WWE...

Did Lesnar just have a five week camp? I haven't read all the pre-event stuff as I never do, but I had just assumed he had been at least somewhat preparing for a UFC run since WM, figured he didn't literally decide five weeks ago he wanted to fight again and that he had been in negotiations for at least a few months to give him prep time. But stranger things have happened.

5 hours ago, Kevin Wilson said:

Did Lesnar just have a five week camp? I haven't read all the pre-event stuff as I never do, but I had just assumed he had been at least somewhat preparing for a UFC run since WM, figured he didn't literally decide five weeks ago he wanted to fight again and that he had been in negotiations for at least a few months to give him prep time. But stranger things have happened.

Before he gave interviews about his return at UFC 200, people had been assuming that the case was he had been training before signing. That's why people got pissed about the USADA thing. However, he said explicitly he had a four or five week camp. If the original plan was for him to fight at UFC 205, that would make sense.

“I wasn’t even sure if it was going to happen,” Lesnar (5-3 MMA, 4-3 UFC) said during a conference call in support of his return against Mark Hunt (12-10-1 MMA, 7-4-1 UFC) on July 9 at Las Vegas’ T-Mobile Arena. But I’ve been training four or five weeks, and before my call to (UFC President) Dana (White), I wasn’t even sure this thing was going to happen.”

Said interview

I think people jumped the gun about when he originally said this had been in the works since April. If a potential signing is in discussion with the UFC, that doesn't necessarily mean that he or she is training. The dude still had wrestling commitments. 

• Like 1

Ha! I saw that was 40 mins. and was like "I don't want to watch this whole thing for that." But I lucky clicked right at 8:00 and it was worth it.

Screen_Shot_2016_07_06_at_4_32_09_PM.png

This is the look Brock Lesnar has when he's playing a silent mental round of "Fuck-Ignore-Devour?"

When Brock went to try on gloves they gave him the same size from his last fight, 4XL.  Problem.  The gloves barely fit his hands.  Brock asked for the next size up, 5XL.  Problem.  There is no next size up.  Nobody makes 5XL gloves.  So the equipment guys have to stretch the gloves to make them fit.