DVDVR Message Board

UFC 200: Tate vs. Nunes (7/9/2016) - Las Vegas, NV (T-Mobile Arena)

Elsalvajeloco

UFC_200_Tate_vs._Nunes_2_Poster.jpg?1468

UFC 200: Tate vs. Nunes
July 9, 2016
Las Vegas, NV (T-Mobile Arena)

UFC Women's Bantamweight Championship: Miesha Tate © (134.5) vs. Amanda Nunes (135) (first defense) - Nunes, SUB (rear naked choke), R1 (3:16)
Brock Lesnar (265.5) vs. Mark Hunt (264.5) - Lesnar, DEC (unanimous)
Daniel Cormier (206) vs. Anderson Silva (198.5) - Cormier, DEC (unanimous)
Interim UFC Featherweight Championship: José Aldo (145) vs. Frankie Edgar (144.5) - Aldo, DEC (unanimous)
Cain Velasquez (242.5) vs. Travis Browne (244) - Velasquez, TKO (punches), R1 (4:57)

Fox Sports 1 Preliminary Card:
Cat Zingano (135.5) vs. Julianna Pena (135.5) - Pena, DEC (unanimous)
Johny Hendricks (171.25)* vs. Kelvin Gastelum (171) - Gastelum, DEC (unanimous)
T.J. Dillashaw (136) vs. Raphael Assunção (135.5) - Dillashaw, DEC (unanimous)
Sage Northcutt (156) vs. Enrique Marín (156) - Northcutt, DEC (unanimous)

Fight Pass Preliminary Card:
Diego Sanchez (155) vs. Joe Lauzon (156) - Lauzon, TKO (punches), R1 (1:26)
Gegard Mousasi (185.5) vs. Thiago Santos (186) - Mousasi, TKO (punches), R1 (4:32)
Jim Miller (155.5) vs. Takanori Gomi (156) - Miller, TKO (punches), R1 (2:18)

*Forfeits 20% of purse for missing weight

Event Bonuses ($50,000?
Performance of the Night: Gegard Mousasi
Performance of the Night: Joe Lauzon
Performance of the Night: Cain Velasquez
Performance of the Night: Amanda Nunes

Attendance: 18,202
Gate: $10.7 million
Buyrate: 1 million

Cancelled Bouts:
Conor McGregor vs. Nate Diaz - Bout Moved to Another Event
Gegard Mousasi vs. Derek Brunson - Injury to Brunson
Daniel Cormier vs. Jon Jones - Jones Flagged for Potential USADA Violation

Edited by Elsalvajeloco
  • Like 1

Takanori Gomi vs. Jim Miller fighting in front of like 15 people is going back to the DKP boxing card days when Julian Jackson is sleeping top contenders with virtually no one there.

• Like 1

The landmark UFC 200 PPV is upon us so I thought for a bit of fun remove a 0 and pick the 20 best fights in UFC history. I’ve chosen by fight quality, historical significance or both. I’ve ranked them in order of greatness. Hope I haven’t missed anything obvious.

1. Forrest Griffin vs. Stephan Bonnar I, The Ultimate Fighter I Finale (2005)

2. Frankie Edgar vs. Gray Maynard II, UFC 125 (2011)

3. Robbie Lawler vs. Carlos Condit, UFC 195 (2016)

4. Matt Hughes vs. Frank Trigg II, UFC 52 (2005)

5. Jon Jones vs. Alexander Gustafsson, UFC 165 (2013)

6. Anderson Silva vs. Chael Sonnen I, UFC 117 (2010)

7. Anderson Silva vs. Chris Weidman I, UFC 162 (2013)

8. Randy Couture vs. Pedro Rizzo I, UFC 33 (2001)

9. Tim Sylvia vs. Randy Couture, UFC 68 (2007)

10. Robbie Lawler vs. Rory MacDonald II, UFC 189 (2015)

11. Ronda Rousey vs. Holly Holm, UFC 193 (2015)

12. Georges St-Pierre vs. Matt Serra I, UFC 69 (2007)

13. Brock Lesnar vs. Frank Mir II, UFC 100 (2009)

14. Ronda Rousey vs. Liz Carmouche, UFC 157 (2013)

15. Chan Sung-Jung vs. Dustin Poirier, UFC on Fuel 3 (2012)

16. Dan Henderson vs. Mauricio Rua I, UFC 139 (2011)

17. Jose Aldo vs. Conor McGregor, UFC 194 (2015)

18. Randy Couture vs. Chuck Liddell I, UFC 43 (2003)

19. Antonio Nogueira vs. Randy Couture, UFC 102 (2009)

20. Dominick Cruz vs. Urijah Faber II, UFC 132 (2011)

#1-6 is six of the best fights in MMA history.

• Like 1

Ten honourable mentions in order:

1. Chuck Liddell vs. Wanderlei Silva, UFC 79 (2007)

2. Cheick Kongo vs. Pat Barry, UFC on Versus 4 (2011)

3. Donald Cerrone vs. Melvin Guillard, UFC 150 (2012)

4. Mark Hunt vs. Antonio Silva I, UFC Fight Night 33 (2013)

5. Andrei Arlovski vs. Travis Browne, UFC 189 (2015)

6. Chris Leben vs. Yoshihiro Akiyama, UFC 116 (2010)

7. Frank Mir vs. Antonio Nogueira II, UFC 140 (2011)

8. Wanderlei Silva vs. Brian Stann, UFC on Fuel TV 8 (2013)

9. Anderson Silva vs. Forrest Griffin, UFC 101 (2009)

10. Brock Lesnar vs. Shane Carwin, UFC 116 (2010)

• Like 1

I can see where some would think he's a dick for saying that, but I appreciate his honesty.  It's oddly refreshing in a way.  If I happen to find his UFC shirt at a store I'll get it.  Otherwise I'll wear one of his WWE shirts and hope for the best.  Aside from that I'm really looking forward to Tate/Nunes, and I'm rooting for Cormier because fuck Jon Jones.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, NickMD said:

I can see where some would think he's a dick for saying that, but I appreciate his honesty.  It's oddly refreshing in a way.  If I happen to find his UFC shirt at a store I'll get it.  Otherwise I'll wear one of his WWE shirts and hope for the best.  Aside from that I'm really looking forward to Tate/Nunes, and I'm rooting for Cormier because fuck Jon Jones.

Brock calls it like he sees it. Think WWE might care ; ).

I'm also for Daniel Cormier, good MD.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NickMD said:

I don't see how it hurts his WWE standing at all.

It really shouldn't.  Even if he loses to a quick knockout, he took it from a still-pretty-damn-good (from what I'm hearing) Mark Hunt.  If he took it from some no-name loser that might different.  But in theory he should be fine regardless.

But people will react how they do, so I'm sure people will be dumb enough to mock him anyway.

Guest Edwin
On 6/29/2016 at 3:58 PM, Elsalvajeloco said:

Takanori Gomi vs. Jim Miller fighting in front of like 15 people is going back to the DKP boxing card days when Julian Jackson is sleeping top contenders with virtually no one there.

It's insane to think the smallest live audience Gomi's going to fight in front of will be on a UFC card and this is a guy that for 5 years fought on many Shooto Korakuen Hall cards.

1 hour ago, grizzlyedwin said:

It's insane to think the smallest live audience Gomi's going to fight in front of will be on a UFC card and this is a guy that for 5 years fought on many Shooto Korakuen Hall cards.

Maybe the Canelo vs. Khan card wasn't the card to do it, but maybe the new arena might energize people enough to actually come a bit early. Who the hell is going to think, "Naw, this Diego Sanchez fight isn't going to be cracking"? Even if the fight goes to the cards, something is going to go down whether it's Diego Sanchez contributing to how rough the second part of his life is going to be or a terrible, all time bad judging call.

• Like 1

i've never really understood only showing up for the main card. it's like, you paid for tickets to see the event, but you're only going to show up for less than 1/2 of it? you may as well get your money's worth and watch the entire thing, even if the guys on the prelims aren't known to you (which shouldn't be an issue with this card!)

• Like 1

6 hours ago, twiztor said:

i've never really understood only showing up for the main card. it's like, you paid for tickets to see the event, but you're only going to show up for less than 1/2 of it? you may as well get your money's worth and watch the entire thing, even if the guys on the prelims aren't known to you (which shouldn't be an issue with this card!)

I feel same way.

2 hours ago, Shawn411 said:

You have to realize they're on West Coast time and in Vegas. Most people are out drinking or they probably getting something to eat before going to the show. I probably wouldn't go to Fight Pass either.

If we're talking Vegas in addition to the other markets where this commonly occurs, the social aspect is just one component of this trend. 

You have to realize that this dates back awhile in boxing, and that there is a reason why they call them preliminary fights. You've been automatically told they don't mean as much. While sometimes you don't have the tremendous gulf in star power on different portions of a card, I think fans have been conditioned to care more about title eliminators and title fights moreso than a prospect taking a slight step up or a veteran trying to stop his career from sliding.

Morever, MMA and boxing are different from wrestling in that the tradition of being there for the entire thing in wrestling overrides the fact that being in a venue for 6 or 7 hours can drag like hell. That really doesn't exist in combat sports unless you're talking places that don't routinely get big shows or places that are certified hot crowds. In boxing, you might have a local star that can bring out people under the untelevised undercard.

With the UFC cards being 11-12 fights deep with no set intermission and formatted a certain way for TV and PPV, it's really tough to just be there for that long when you came to see maybe 2-4 fighters and really hype for maybe a handful of fights. With boxing, usually it's just the main event and maybe like one undercard fight that will be a really good brawl on a specialty card on like Cinco de Mayo weekend or Mexican independence day weekend. IMO, that's why the top promoters or those who do North American TV and PPV cards in boxing (moreso Top Rank and Golden Boy than Haymon/DiBella cards) have moved away 9 or more fights on a card total in favor of maybe 8 max. Partly because the exposure in many cases isn't there, and it makes little sense to put all your prospects in your stable on one card because of that. You can just find two in house prospects who may or may not have local flavor and match them against an out of shape Mexican fighter and some club fighter from like West Virginia respectively. No need to do that for everyone when no one is getting shine from it. You might get 1 or 2 local fighters to round it out, but not much more than that. That is your traditional semi-important to major boxing card now in the US.

UFC has made it abundantly clear that they want to televise or put every fight on platform that it makes really visible. Thus, it isn't as important to have that many people there as it is to have people watching. Aesthetically, it probably doesn't look that great but they're aren't really hung up on trying be the company that keeps a crowd hanging around there from fight one to the main event. So when you get a card like 200, it does offer something more delectable for fans who paid money to be there. However, I think they realize that the crowd will fill in either way whether it's earlier than usual in the night or later on during the TV prelims.

38 minutes ago, Craig H said:

It's now the week of the fight and all I can think is that someone is going to pull out of one of the main card fights.

Today is the day everyone (those who aren't in Vegas already) are suppose to arrive in Vegas. So short of weight cutting issues, something USADA related, and organs imploding, a vast majority of the huddles have been cleared. 

It is going to be interested how Hendricks and Aldo look especially with the early weigh-ins. Instead of being optional, they look to be very much mandatory. With Hendricks and Gastelum, you have two dudes who blew weight before. For UFC 200, it would be disastrous for either guy's career to do that for what's pretty much a crossroads fight. Even then, the fight will most likely go on as a catchweight fight.