DVDVR Message Board

G1 Climax 26

MoeCristyV.1.6

Yeah Goto is king of Tourney wins (2 NJC and 1 G1)with then blowing the follow-up title match. If he wins tomorrow then he's got to at least win the Dome match this time... one would hope!

James

It would be really nice to see Goto win and then finally get the IWGP in a big match. Remember how when Nakanishi finally won the belt it was in a fluke win to Tanahashi and then he dropped it back to him right away. Giving a longtime underachiever like Goto his big win and then letting him have an actual strong reign would be a great morale booster for fans after all the recent talent departures (plus I just think Goto deserves his year in the sun). 

I'll have to watch the last 3 days of Mains at least, but I for the life of me cannot see Omega vs. Goto being a great final. I saw Csonka at 411 give it high praise, but those are two guys who usually do nothing for me.

2 hours ago, Wyld Samurai said:

I look at that as a completely natural move when in a top rope sleeperhold. Just fall back on the opponent.

They started on the mat and Kenny ascended the turnbuckles, though. Personally thought it was a good enough big match spot, however - get yourself out of a desperate situation while taking advantage of your opponent's vulnerability.

6 hours ago, Chaos said:

I'll have to watch the last 3 days of Mains at least, but I for the life of me cannot see Omega vs. Goto being a great final. I saw Csonka at 411 give it high praise, but those are two guys who usually do nothing for me.

Goto increasingly bores the life out of me, but it was a very good to great match with both guys going all out. Kenny's been on fire lately and nothing changed there. Glad he got the W, and curious to see what's in store for him moving forward now.

7 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Really interested in the NJPW vs. NOAH tag. Shibata is said to be insanely dangerous in that and there's a huge brawl afterwards. Goddamn I've wanted a new faction war for awhile...

Shibata mauls Shiozaki as soon as he gets in the ring with him and then acts like a psycho in the post-match brawl. He busted himself open on the most disgusting sounding headbutt I've ever heard against Nakajima, who I'd be surprised if he wasn't concussed. Also he lays back into both Nakajima and Go during the aforementioned brawl, headbutting the latter a bunch of times while Go appears to legit try and fend him off anyway he can. It's really pretty fucked up.

Wonder if Cody finally wised up and is revising his list now...

They want the uncontrollable insanity type fire that Inoki used to bring at times with Shibata. Ogawa used to have it a little too, Murakami looked the part, but sucked at everything else.

I'm only at day 11 or something around there but I'm really surprised more people aren't totally gaga for Kenny Omega. He's charismatic, incredibly athletic, and has turned into a really smart worker who sells his ass off. He builds up to his moves well too. It's not as if he's a random spot monkey. I love the mug. 

He hasn't had anything below "very good" in the tournament so far with most matches being in the great range for me. 

Goto can get fucked though. I never want to see him beyond midcard tag team guy again. So bland. And even when he tried to spice things up this year and pull a Naito, he's back to his same old shtick. Dork.

• Like 1

This is the first NJPW I've watched since Wrestle Kingdom 10. Tomohiro Ishii vs. Kazuchika Okada, Okada vs. Tanahashi and Kenny Omega vs. Tetsuya Naito Match of the Year contenders. Watching them the once, Ishii vs. Okada is my Match of the Tournament. Thoughts on the big bouts?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Natural said:

This is the first NJPW I've watched since Wrestle Kingdom 10. Tomohiro Ishii vs. Kazuchika Okada, Okada vs. Tanahashi and Kenny Omega vs. Tetsuya Naito Match of the Year contenders. Watching them the once, Ishii vs. Okada is my Match of the Tournament. Thoughts on the big bouts?

Ishii/Okada was insane. Really liked Omegas matches with Elgin and Naito. Thought Tanahashi/Marufuji was very good.

Can anyone tell me if the Nakajima matches are worth a look?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, peterien said:

Ishii/Okada was insane. Really liked Omegas matches with Elgin and Naito. Thought Tanahashi/Marufuji was very good.

Can anyone tell me if the Nakajima matches are worth a look?

Thank you. I'll try and see them. If I had to rank the nine big Hiroshi Tanahashi vs. Kazuchika Okada matches, I'd go:

1. Okada vs. Tanahashi, Wrestle Kingdom 10

2. Okada vs. Tanahashi, King of Pro-Wrestling 2013.

3. Okada vs. Tanahashi, Invasion Attack 2013

4. Tanahashi vs. Okada, Dominion 2012.

5. Okada vs. Tanahashi, G1 Climax 26.

6. Tanahashi vs. Okada, Wrestle Kingdom 9.

7. Okada vs. Tanahashi. G1 Climax 23.

8. Tanahashi vs. Okada, The New Beginning 2012

9. Tanahashi vs. Okada, Wrestle Kingdom 7.

These two have great chemistry. The only match I didn't like at all was the one at Wrestle Kingdom 7.

In ten years when Goto finally gets his token title win and immediately loses it to one of the current young lions or probably Okada or something since he still won't even be 40 by that point, we can all cheer at Nakanishi 2.0 finally getting his reign and going back to remembering how boring he was after the thought.

5 hours ago, Ryan said:

In ten years when Goto finally gets his token title win and immediately loses it to one of the current young lions or probably Okada or something since he still won't even be 40 by that point, we can all cheer at Nakanishi 2.0 finally getting his reign and going back to remembering how boring he was after the thought.

You're doing Nakanishi a huge disservice lumping him in with Goto. I don't know which one it is, but Nakanishi has more charisma in one of his nuts than Goto has in his entire being. I rarely got the sense that Nakanishi was mailing it in when he was high up the card, it's just that he wasn't a very smart worker.

Nakajima had a great tournament. Again I'm only a little over halfway through but his matches against Shibata, Naito, Nagata and Yoshi-hashi are all worth checking out. Shame he doesn't have much charisma and instead yells a lot but he's really turned into very good rassler.

• Like 1

Only one I've seen so far was Ishii/Okada and it was great. Not much of an Okada fan but he was perfectly fine, and there were three pretty nasty moments in the match culminating in the fight for the Tombstone that almost ended in one of them getting Austin'd by the other's Owen.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Oyaji said:

I'm only at day 11 or something around there but I'm really surprised more people aren't totally gaga for Kenny Omega. He's charismatic, incredibly athletic, and has turned into a really smart worker who sells his ass off. He builds up to his moves well too. It's not as if he's a random spot monkey. I love the mug. 

He's certainly quite talented in many respects, but for me there's just something about his specific type of charisma and mannerisms that often really takes me out of his matches into a space where I'm just thinking "why are you acting that weird way, you weirdo?". I'm slowly learning to like him more, I think.