Tetsuya Naito
Katsuyori Shibata 
Yuji Nagata 
Tomoaki Honma 
Michael Elgin 
Toru Yano 
"King of Darkness" EVIL 
Kenny Omega 
Katsuhiko Nakajima  (Pro Wrestling NOAH)
YOSHI-HASHI

What a great Line-up!!!

• Like 1

I was actually just looking yesterday to see if the field had been announced yet...  This looks great.  I recently bit the bullet on NJPW World, so I'm looking forward to getting to follow along legit for once.

As an old NOAH fan, getting to see basically the last two people I care about from there in a bunch of interesting match-ups with the NJPW crew is going to be good times.

I feel like there's not a lot of "on paper" exciting match ups this go around. Last year may have been predictable, but there were at least some solid bouts sprinkled throughout the tournament.

I am interested in how the finals play out here.

7 hours ago, Andy Stowell said:

The Android app is terrific, especially if you want to stream it to your TV with a Chromecast.  Easiest thing in the world and the picture and sound are fantastic.

Thank you for the feedback!

There's some potential there for a surprise winner since I don't really see Okada or Tanahashi winning yet again. I guess if I had to put money on it I'd predict Naito winning a second time just because his first G1 win was premature and it would be a way of cementing him as a real anchor and not a Goto/Nakanishi-type flukey guy. I could also see a Gaijin winning for the first time just to shake up precedent. I dunno. Looks like a lot of good match-ups from a match quality perspective but from a booking perspective my first thought on going through the names was "wow they really need to elevate some young guys". 

I think Tenzan and Ishii's interactions today are going to make that a fun Block A match-up now I think.  A successful run in general from Ishii in Block A would be a welcome development.

I'd really like to see Kenny Omega get a chance to develop into the Bullet Club's new AJ in Block B, but I can also see a Shibata death march or further cementing Naito as a top-tier guy.

4 hours ago, Mike Campbell said:

If they went to the trouble of doing the storyline of Tenzan being pissed that he got left out, and then proving he deserved to be in there, may be he'll get a decent push this year. 

Apparently Kojima said Tenzan could have his spot if he promised to win the whole thing, which makes me think they give him the Choshu legend monster push.

I'm long past the point of believing that Tenzan will ever get a sustained top-level push. But, I'm hoping for at least a good showing in the G-1. I'd mark out like a mofo if he actually won the thing, and Tenzan/Okada is a fresh match, and could be a lot of fun. I went nuts in the 2012 G-1 when he *FINALLY* got a win over Nakamura.

On 7/4/2016 at 1:27 AM, Mike Campbell said:

I'm long past the point of believing that Tenzan will ever get a sustained top-level push. But, I'm hoping for at least a good showing in the G-1. I'd mark out like a mofo if he actually won the thing, and Tenzan/Okada is a fresh match, and could be a lot of fun. I went nuts in the 2012 G-1 when he *FINALLY* got a win over Nakamura.

You know...I never thought about it until now but other than the 2004 G1 and the 2012 G1, I can't remember many (if any) other Tenzan wins against Nakamura

18 hours ago, wakigatame said:

You know...I never thought about it until now but other than the 2004 G1 and the 2012 G1, I can't remember many (if any) other Tenzan wins against Nakamura

I don't believe that he has. They were in opposite blocks in 2005, 2006, and 2007. Nakamura won in 2008 and 2009. Tenzan missed 2010. Nakamura won 2011, Tenzan forfeited 2013 with an injury, and opposite blocks in 2014 and 2015. I don't think they had any other singles matches outside the G-1. Tenzan spent most of 2008-09 feuding with Makabe and later Iizuka, then he had the long layoff, and when he came back he got back together with Kojima.

• 2 weeks later...

NJPW "G1 CLIMAX 26", 18.07.2016 (WPW/TV Asahi Ch.2/PPV/NJPW World) 
Hokkaido Prefectural Sports Center 
5,533 Fans - Super No Vacancy 

1. TIGER MASK & JUSHIN LIGER & MANABU NAKANISHI & KATSUYORI SHIBATA DEFEATED CAPTAIN NEW JAPAN & RYUSUKE TAGUCHI & KUSHIDA & TOMOAKI HONMA BY PINFALL

2. TORU YANO & KATSUHIKO NAKAJIMA DEFEATED SATOSHI KOJIMA & JUICE ROBINSON BY PINFALL

3. YUJIRO TAKAHASHI & KENNY OMEGA DEFEATED YOSHI-HASHI & GEDO BY PINFALL

4. TETSUYA NAITO & EVIL & BUSHI DEFEATED MICHAEL ELGIN & YUJI NAGATA & DAVID FINLAY BY PINFALL

G1 TOURNAMENT/A BLOCK RESULTS

5. HIROYOSHI TENZAN DEFEATS TOMOHIRO ISHII BY PINFAL

6. TOGI MAKABE DEFEATS TAMA TONGA BY PINFALL

7. HIROOKI GOTO DEFEATS BAD LUCK FALE BY PINFALL

8. SEIYA SANADA DEFEATS HIROSHI TANAHASHI BY SUBMISSION

9. NAOMICHI MARUFUJI DEFEATS KAZUCHIKA OKADA BY PINFALL

G1 STANDINGS

A BLOCK

NAOMICHI MARUFUJI- 1-0 2 Points

SEIYA SANADA- 1-0 2 Points

HIROYOSHI TENZAN- 1-0 2 Points

TOGI MAKABE-1-0 2 Points

HIROOKI GOTO- 1-0 2 Points

TOMOHIRO ISHII- 0-1 0 Points

TAMA TONGA- 0-1 0 Points

BAD LUCK FALE- 0-1 0 Points

HIROSHI TANAHASHI- 0-1 0 Points

KAZUCHIKA OKADA-0-1 0 Points

Only watched the G1 matches.  Tenzan-Ishii was the best of the bunch imo.  The closing sequence in the main, where Marufuji counters the Rainmaker by kicking the arm - the thrust kick that he hits right after that looked so so so good.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, S.K.o.S. said:

Only watched the G1 matches.  Tenzan-Ishii was the best of the bunch imo.  The closing sequence in the main, where Marufuji counters the Rainmaker by kicking the arm - the thrust kick that he hits right after that looked so so so good.

Same across the board.  Loved Tenzan/Ishii, and was thinking the main was up there with it, but probably mostly because of how insanely hot that finish was.

UPSET CITY, DAY TWO:

Block B Match: Katsuhiko Nakajima defeated Toru Yano @ 3;51 via pin
 Block B Match: YOSHI-HASHI defeated Kenny Omega @ 12:16 via pin
 Block B Match: EVIL defeated Michael Elgin @ 10:54 via pin
 Block B Match: Yuji Nagata defeated Tetsuya Naito @ 15:32 via pin
 Block B Match: Tomoaki Honma defeated Katsuyori Shibata @ 11:11 via pin

* Katsuhiko Nakajima (1-0)
* YOSHI-HASHI (1-0)
* EVIL (1-0)
* Yuji Nagata (1-0)
* Tomoaki Honma (1-0)
* Toru Yano (0-1)
* Kenny Omega (0-1)
* Michael Elgin (0-1)
* Tetsuya Naito (0-1)
* Katsuyori Shibata (0-1)

There wasn't a bad tourny match today.  Everything was in the good-very good territory.

That said, I want some of whatever Gedo has been on booking this thing thus far.