DVDVR Message Board

[NXT SPOILERS] For JULY 20, 2016

RIPPA

So... it isn't real clear what is going where after the first week. I have seen speculation that Nakamura/Balor will get an entire week to themselves. Plus - they technically might not air stuff since some of these shows will be held after the draft.

Per PWI

Week 2

- Samoa Joe comes out and tells the world that he will be watching tonight's Finn Balor/Shinsuke Nakamura match. He finds it disrespectful that people think the winner deserves a shot at his title. Rhyno comes out and challenges Joe. Joe gives him a disdainful look and walks off.

- Austin Aries def. Patrick Clark. 

Post match: No Way Jose attacks Austin Aries 

- Andrade Cien Almas def. Angelo Dawkins 

- Asuka def. Eva Marie 

- Samoa Joe def. Rhyno 

- American Alpha come out for a match but are blindsided by the Authors of Pain. After being checked on by the refs and William Regal, American Alpha insist on making it to the ring to fight. This leads to...

- The Authors of Pain def. American Alpha 

- Bayley def. Nia Jax

- Shinsuke Nakamura def. Finn Balor. Awesome match.

Notes:

- I am not remotely certain how the show will be divided up after the first episode taped. There were none of the usual breaks or announcer switches, except for the main event. Dasha Fuentes handled the entire second episodes worth of tapings until Greg Hamilton introduced the main event. 

- I believe, with his appearance tonight, Patrick Clark will end up being the first Tough Enough alum from the most recent season to debut on NXT TV.

- No sign of, or mention of, Bobby Roode or Eric Young.

Per WON

- NXT Champion Samoa Joe/s in-ring promo is interrupted by Rhyno. Joe backs away.

- Austin Aries beat Patrick Clark

Aries won with the Last Chancery submission. Post-match, No Way Jose ran down and attacked Aries.

- Andrade cien Almas beat Angelo Dawkins

Running knees in the corner followed by a moonsault for the win for ACA.

- NXT Women's Champion Asuka beat Eva Marie

Eva made Dasha Fuentes read a custom ring introduction for her, and it was amazing. The champ wins with the Asuka Lock. Crowd was actualy all over the place for this one. 

- NXT Champion Samoa Joe beat Rhyno

Physical match to set up Joe vs. the winner of Finn v Nakamura. Joe clamped on the Coquina Clutch for the win after a mean guy match.

- The Authors Of Pain beat American Alpha

- AOP jump American Alpha as they made their way to the ring. They brawled in the ring with Alpha getting the upper hand. All four men were in the ring and a ref called for the bell to start the match. Great action early on with Gable and Jordan suplexing the much larger men all over the place. Dive to the outside by Jordan, to get the place going. Authors took control and hit their double team assisted lariat finisher to win it.

- Bayley beat Nia Jax

Physical match. Bayley took a lot of punishment early on before getting fired up and finally hitting the middle rope Belly To Bayley for the win.

- Shinsuke Nakamura beat Finn Balor

Spotlight introductions. Crowd loves both so a mix of cheers, chants, and even respectful silence early on. Finn showed up Nakamura by Too Sweeting him in the face on a break. Incredible match with all of the key spots. It went a good twenty minutes and Shinsuke won it with the Kinshasa. Post match, they celebrated together, and Finn went around the ring telling fans thank you for their support. This seems like this finally might be it for Balor in NXT.

MOAR JACKHAMMERS PLZ NIA

OK, now that that's out of the way, Bayley is an awesome worker and American Alpha are my favorite tag team and it's nice to see Patrick Clark on TV. That's all. 

Patrick's the first Tough Enough person to get on TV right (from the last season)

Or did Mandy Rose get a match for Total Divas purposes

That might have been my favorite Alpha performance considering how green their opponents were, and how entertaining that match was. Gable's suplex and Jordan's dive were awesome. Aries' finishing combo was pretty sweet while Jose's brawling was pretty crap.

I think that was the best women's match in WWE this year. Really terrific performances from both women. Nia has hit a new level, and Bayley is the best babyface worker in the WWE.

Nia is coming up too quick and should probably be champ down in NXT working big matches for another six months. She's starting to put it together and would be really good with just a little more seasoning. I don't know that she'll get the longer matches that she needs to get there on the main roster. 

AA are awesome. Jordan's dive was just wonderful.

Nia/Bayley was damn good once again. These two against each other just gets better each match. I really wish Nia hadn't been drafted until she at least got a monster title run on NXT.

Really, this was a damn good show. Joe/Rhyno was exactly what I expected, AA did a great job with AoP, Aries was fun and we advanced the angle, then the main event was great. I loved all the hope spots and increasingly brutal cut offs. Loved Bayley digging into her more vicious arsenal again, loved Nia going for the murder death kill finish, loved the actual finish. Jax is really rounding into her monster worker role. Good thing there's plenty of babyface women for her on RA... Oh fuck

Authors of Pain are PERFECT. Love having two beasts screaming foreign gibberish and not even knowing their names. The only way they could be better is if Paul Ellering was replaced with Skandor Akbar. They'd be perfect Devastation Inc. henchmen. This was a terrific AA performance. Jordan's dive was just such a great perfect wrestling moment -- he first time doing something like this, and he has to because these monsters tried to take him and his boy out TWICE and he wants to get a piece.

Joe vs. Rhyno was a good battle of big men, too. Nothing too memorable but I'm always down for two 300-pound dudes just smacking each other around for a while.

Bayley/Nia was awesome. Nia has really found it. She knows how a monster works now. She knows how to use her face so expressively -- she sells paid and then does an awesome "you're a gnat" glance one second later. Her offense has gotten really good. She just rag-dolls people perfectly. Her jackhammer was awesome. The end was perfect. The announce team touched earlier on Nia's love of cocky covers. She had Bayley dead-to-rights but instead of just wanting to finish her, she wanted to destroy and humiliate and break her. But Bayley, the definition of digging down deep in the face of adversity, finally got the opening she need to put Nia away. They had an awesome series of matches that just got better and better. Nia isn't like most girls, and we're lucky for that because she's such a unique and talented force.

• Like 4

I didn't notice it before, but Johnny Garganno sounds and has the same mannerisms as Paul Scheer. Hell, he even looks like he could be Scheer's little, bearded brother.

Insane suplex by Gable followed by an equally impressive dive by Jordan. The Authors of Pain maybe green but I can't help but think they're perfect foils for the likes of New Day and such.

Nia's jackhammer was great and pretty darn safe (it helps that Bailey's got the cushion for it). I hope it becomes her optional finisher at the very least. Now to give it a name... um, Jaxhammer.

• Like 4

I know everyone is raving about Gable's suplex, but Jordan looks like he could throw those suplexes he hit in a shoot fight.  Gable looks like he could suplex you if he catches you off guard, Jordan looks like he could pick you up and throw you over his head, no matter how much you fight against it.  The belly to belly was ridiculous, but then he followed that up by picking up a huge dude and carrying him before dumping him on his head.  I hope both of those dudes become great singles workers, but I'd be OK if they just stay a tag team forever.  They are perfect together.

Jordan and Gable are the best possible combination of Steiner Bros and Rock n Roll Express. Gable is great at selling and drawing sympy, but can also hit some sweet high end offense on occasion to go with his superb mat work. While Jordan is a physical freak who can damn near do anything athletically he wants, but also has a likeable personality that makes you care when he wins or loses. Such a great team they had a year long run in NXT, and I don't think they ever came close to having a bad match.

I took Nia going to the second rope to hit the leg drop as her knowing Bayley has kicked out of the regular leg drop a bunch, and she wanted to hit the death blow.

• Like 1

You know Nia has really improved when her face after Bayley kicked out of the Jaxhammer (brilliant, turk) was pretty much exactly the same as her shock in being drafted up to RAW.

14 hours ago, supremebve said:

I know everyone is raving about Gable's suplex, but Jordan looks like he could throw those suplexes he hit in a shoot fight.  Gable looks like he could suplex you if he catches you off guard, Jordan looks like he could pick you up and throw you over his head, no matter how much you fight against it.  The belly to belly was ridiculous, but then he followed that up by picking up a huge dude and carrying him before dumping him on his head.  I hope both of those dudes become great singles workers, but I'd be OK if they just stay a tag team forever.  They are perfect together.

Gable was an elite-level amateur wrestler.  If he wants to suplex you, he is going to suplex you, whether you know it's coming or not.

That match was pretty awesome.  AA looked beastly.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, mattdangerously said:

Gable was an elite-level amateur wrestler.  If he wants to suplex you, he is going to suplex you, whether you know it's coming or not.

That match was pretty awesome.  AA looked beastly.

I'm not saying Gable couldn't suplex someone, I'm saying that Jason Jordan launches dudes over his head like they have a bottle rocket up their ass.  

Jordan's got freakish athleticism and gable has freakish technique. Jordan's used to tossing around guys bigger than him from his collegiate years and gable is an Olympian.

When ask which one of them would win in an amateur wrestling match, even they said they didn't know.