DVDVR Message Board

2016 CFL Season

Death From Above

• Dewar pinned this topic

Got offered a free ticket today, so I will be in the stadium for the Blue Bombers home opener tomorrow. This means it will rain, and a Bomber will go down with a season ending injury.

• Like 1

I'm not a big fan of Section O but I have to admit that's one of his better pranks.

Not a great performance for week one. Defense, obviously, must do better than giving up 500+ passing yards. Clearly the secondary is a lot weaker which is no surprise. Defections to Saskatchewan, Grymes to the NFL, then Ojo blew his achillies in training camp was only the icing on the cake. Honestly, for all the points, the offense wasn't even close to top gear either. Lots of room to improve at least. Interesting to see how this game compares once Edmonton has played some teams that might not be on Ottawa's level.

That Duron Carter incident was beyond strange. The more I watch it, the weirder it gets. What on earth was going on there? Everything about it is inexplicable. Why did Carter walk right into him and not react at all? Why was Campbell on the field getting in his way? Once it happens why does Carter stand there taunting while dudes are trying to start a fight with him? Whole thing is just bizarre.

I will repeat here summarizing my thoughts on Edmonton's performance tonight.

I have been attending Esks home games since some point in the mid-late 80's, roughly '87 if I had to guess. In that time I have never witnessed a more shocking defeat than tonight. I could even get past blowing a TWENTY-SIX POINT lead if it had been off of Big Play Magic, say Brandon Banks returning two kicks for touchdowns, or some 105-yard pass TD that sparks Strange Things. It was not. This was much scarier. This was giving up 10-15 yard plays for absolutely free, over and over and over again like nothing I have ever seen. Masoli set a new record with 23 straight completions. On many of his throws it is no exaggeration that when he released the ball, receivers were 5-7 yards open.

All of this occured against a backup QB who will instantly be benched for a far better player in Collaros, a legitimate MVP candidate.

I don't even know how to define what Edmonton's secondary was TRYING to do during the second half. I have watched probably tens of thousands of hours of football, and I don't know what they were trying to do.

I was absolutely in shock post game. Totally numb. This was one of the worst defensive halves of football I have ever seen.

When Hamilton was down by the 26 points, I decided to flip over to the Mets game. When a Mets victory became doubtful, I flipped back wondering how bad it had become, just in time for a Ti-Cats TD. Considering I still assumed the rout was on, I was wondering why they were celebrating when they'd likely knocked the lead down to some number in the teens.

"And the Ti-Cats take the lead!"

HUH? WHA?

I assumed that Brandon Banks had gone nuts, not that Massoli had a record setting run of consistency.

• Like 1

I stopped watching after it was 31 to 13.  Then, later last night, I noticed they were talking about the game on ESPN.  Oh man.

On 6/26/2016 at 1:42 PM, DEAN said:

BC has the Ode To The 1984 Michigan Panthers helmets.  I back their play 100%.

Those things are glorious. I picture Bobby Hebert Jr playing QB for them. 

• Like 1