DVDVR Message Board

Roman Reigns Suspended 30 Days

Pete

Well the first grumblings of what he was busted for have started - and that is Fat Burners

Again these are all from the types who are all I HAVE SOURCES IN MY DMS~!

Actually nevermind - in further researching - it started as Becky Lynch's #1 posting it on the VOW boards and people took it as fact

And the exact quoting was

"I don't have any evidence but I personally believe it given what people have said."

"I have done enough asking around and I've gotten no kick back about it being fat burners"

So NO ONE SAID NO SO IT MUST BE TRUE!!!!!

• Like 5

23 hours ago, Wyld Samurai said:

I honestly don't think people will notice he's gone for 30 days. 

I dunno, one taping report I read said the fans were chanting "Where is Roman" at Smackdown. And even if you assume the majority of the fans don't know about his suspension -- a pretty big stretch -- all you need is enough fans to get a chant started, and the rest will jump on it.

On 6/24/2016 at 3:38 PM, kafkonia said:

I dunno, one taping report I read said the fans were chanting "Where is Roman" at Smackdown. And even if you assume the majority of the fans don't know about his suspension -- a pretty big stretch -- all you need is enough fans to get a chant started, and the rest will jump on it.

What's amazing about this idea, which I agree with, is that no one doing so actually gives a shit about Roman Reigns and is just chanting it to explicitly taunt the company's actual biggest heel, Vince McMahon, for either a) pushing a guy they hated and having this wellness violation blow up in his face, or b) on a more meta level, to show how proud they are that they fucked up Vince's Reigns push so bad that the company had to reveal a Reigns wellness violation just so that they could have an excuse to stunt his push and try again.

Poor Roman Reigns is the most inconsequential wrestler in the company. 

If WWE had any patience or foresight at all, they should've just waited until right before Mania to bring Bryan back. He could've been a surprise entrant in to the IC Ladder Match and nobody would've been upset. The fact that they made a big deal about him coming back and being in the Rumble, as well as the way he was casually eliminated, is the whole reason everybody soured on the big Roman Reigns push. And who knows? Maybe keeping Bryan out of the ring two extra months might've helped with his eventual concussion issues as well.

7 hours ago, JonnyLaw said:

He's basically still, to this day, paying the price for being pushed over Bryan.

So, there's two options here:

• People hate Reigns because of Danielson
  • People hate Reigns regardless of Danielson

What on Earth could be the goalposts for disregarding the first scenario, if you still think it's the more plausible explanation at this point?

I think there has definitely been a feedback loop for Roman's reactions, but crowds were lukewarm at best for him when he had no closure with the Shield breakup and went straight to multi-man title matches. Arguably the first mistake with Roman was not having him settle the score with Rollins before moving up.

51 minutes ago, Go2Sleep said:

I think there has definitely been a feedback loop for Roman's reactions, but crowds were lukewarm at best for him when he had no closure with the Shield breakup and went straight to multi-man title matches. Arguably the first mistake with Roman was not having him settle the score with Rollins before moving up.

In a weird way it still all comes down to kayfabe.  Even though it's dead to smarks and all that, there are still a few things that fans demand seem "organic" or natural, even if they're not...and how a guy gets over is one of them.

WWE showed the strings they were pulling by suddenly pushing Seth and Dean one direction and Roman another.  It felt "fake" and even though every storyline is fake, that apparently is one place where they still can't afford to show the strings.  Fans want a guy to get over "for real" even if that's  a contradiction in a worked business. In this one way Kayfabe is not dead.

• Like 2

I agree with the point that his push felt very manufactured from the get-go. I think it just has to do with the show making sense. It made no sense for Seth and Dean to go into a blood feud over the Shield breakup when Roman was just like "whatever" all the while keeping the Shield imagery with his attire, music, and entrance. Looking back, it's pretty clear they let Roman keep all the established imagery because they wanted him to be the most over. Instead Seth and Dean's new looks, music, and character development all felt very congruous with the storylines, while Roman keeping everything Shield in completely unrelated angles didn't and the crowds reacted accordingly.

• Like 1

. Looking back, it's pretty clear they let Roman keep all the established imagery because they wanted him to be the most over.

He was the most over at the time, and even people here before the break up said they should let Reigns keep the music and gear.

4 hours ago, Go2Sleep said:

To be fair, he was scheduled to face Rollins at 2014's Night of Champions, but needed emergency hernia surgery and forfeited the match.  Reigns is out three months and they move Rollins along to eventually face Lesnar and Cena.

Even if they had held off with Reigns winning the 2015 Royal Rumble, getting him back on a program with Rollins at that time would have been tricky.

The first mistake they made is not having Reigns be the one to betray the Shield and align with the Authority. Like Orton, he had  family roots in wrestling and like early Batista, he was an imposing guy who didn't need to talk much to get his point across.  He could have even followed Batista's trajectory with eventually getting tired of HHH's garbage and turning face around this year's Royal Rumble. Roman was the perfect fit, but they ignored it for whatever reason.  Reigns as the Authority-backed monster heel, Ambrose as the wildcard tweener out for revenge, and Rollins as the daredevil babyface would have been great.  Eventually, they all would have wound up in the same place at the same time, fighting for the WHC.  We're at that place right now, but they took a lot of detours to get there when they could have stuck to the highway.

• Like 6

Yes. Basically all of that. I think WWE would have been in a much better place at the top of the card if post-Shield breakup had that framework. Most of us have repeated that as well. People want to boo the shit out of Reigns. It's what feels natural. And then, after awhile, it's a given that Reigns would slowly turn face, which would be a far more successful way of turning him face than anything they've put the guy through.

The problem is, it would require creative to abandon the "push 1 guy" mindset and it would require them to actually feel their audience. Most of the time, they're so out of touch that they can't even do a mediocre job of manipulating the audience. We've also talked about why a good promoter gets you to buy into what they're selling, but Vince and creative have nearly lost the ability to successfully manipulate the audience. I think a lot of that comes from their social media push and the creation of the "WWE Universe." You can't suddenly give your audience a voice and still control them, feeding them shit and expecting them to eat it. It's why they have to resort to doing stupid shit like muting crowds, which is only going to anger your audience even more.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Sammo~! said:

While Roman is wrestling as Fake Razor Ramon II, you can put a dumb wig on Samoa Joe (don't even change his gear) and debut him at the Battleground triple threat as Fake Roman Reigns I.

And bring back Fake Diesel. Haven't seen him in....oh, nevermind.

• Like 2