DVDVR Message Board

UFC Fight Night 89: MacDonald vs. Thompson (6/18/2016) - Ottawa, Ontario, Canada (TD Place Arena)

Elsalvajeloco

UFC_Fight_Night_Ottawa_MacDonald_vs._Tho
UFC Fight Night 89: MacDonald vs. Thompson 
June 18, 2016
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada (TD Place Arena)

Rory MacDonald (170.5) vs. Stephen Thompson (170.5) - Thompson, DEC (unanimous)
Donald Cerrone (171) vs. Patrick Côté (170) - Cerrone, TKO (punches), R3 (2:35)
Steve Bossé (205) vs. Sean O'Connell (205) - Bossé, DEC (unanimous)
Olivier Aubin-Mercier (155) vs. Thibault Gouti (156) - Aubin-Mercier, SUB (rear naked choke), R3 (2:28)
Valérie Létourneau (125.5) vs. Joanne Calderwood (125.5) - Calderwood, TKO (strikes), R3 (2:51)

Fox Sports 2 Preliminary Card
Jason Saggo (155) vs. Leandro Silva (155.5) - Saggo, DEC (split)
Misha Cirkunov (205.5) vs. Ion Cutelaba (202.5) - Cirkunov, SUB (arm triangle choke), R3 (1:22)
Tamdan McCrory (185) vs. Krzysztof Jotko (184.5) - Jotko, KO (punches), R1 (0:59)
Chris Beal (134) vs. Joe Soto (135) - Soto, SUB (rear naked choke), R3 (3:39)

Fight Pass Preliminary Card:
Elias Theodorou (186) vs. Sam Alvey (185.5) - Theodorou, DEC (unanimous)
Randa Markos (117.5)* vs. Jocelyn Jones-Lybarger (115) - Markos, DEC (unanimous)
Colby Covington (170) vs. Jonathan Meunier (170.5) - Covington, SUB (rear naked choke), R3 (0:54)
Ali Bagautinov (125.5) vs. Geane Herrera (125) - Bagautinov, DEC (unanimous)

*Forfeits 20% of purse for missing weight

Event Bonuses ($50,000):
Performance of the Night: Krzysztof Jotko
Performance of the Night: Donald Cerrone
Fight of the Night: Steve Bossé vs. Sean O'Connell

Attendance: 10,490
Gate: $991,275
Rating: 964,000 viewers

Cancelled Fights:
Norifumi Yamamoto vs. Chris Beal - Injury to Yamamoto
Alex Garcia vs. Colby Covington - Injury to Garcia

2 hours ago, J.T. said:

They're really making Wonderboy fight MacDonald instead of giving him a title shot...

If he beats MacDonald, then he will get his title shot.

That is bullshit.

#2 Wonderboy is fighting a gateway fight while #3 Woodley gets a title shot at 201.

I don't remember what Condit was ranked when he got his shot at 195, but I don't think he was a Top 2 guy.

7 minutes ago, J.T. said:

That is bullshit.

#2 Wonderboy is fighting a gateway fight while #3 Woodley gets a title shot at 201.

I don't remember what Condit was ranked when he got his shot at 195, but I don't think he was a Top 2 guy.

The rankings are not used when determining a title shot.

Point was that Wonderboy deserves a title shot instead of a gateway fight.  Are you deliberately obtuse or do you just like starting shit?  Maybe a bit of both..

I think tonight is the night where i just discuss MMA with the guys at my dojo.

11 minutes ago, J.T. said:

Point was that Wonderboy deserves a title shot instead of a gateway fight.  Are you deliberately obtuse or do you just like starting shit?  Maybe a bit of both..

No...you just didn't have a point.

I am not saying Thompson doesn't have just cause for a title shot, but it's a top 5 welterweight fighting another top 5 welterweight. I'm not going to begrudge UFC for making the fight. Plus, they promised Woodley the title shot when Hendricks blew weight. So as much I would like to see a Condit rematch, I understand why the Woodley fight was made. They can't have a legitimate top welterweight sit out because he will only take a title fight you promised him. Plus, they don't want to give a title shot to someone (Condit) who will retire immediately afterwards. That's not really the UFC's MO, which probably hurts Henderson's chance to get that Bisping rematch should he come back.

Keep in mind, they wanted a good fight to main event the UFC's return to Canada. With the lack of Canadian stars, MacDonald in the last fight of his deal was perhaps the only good choice. With Thompson being available, that made it a no brainer to make. Timing is more important with matchmaking than a lot of other elements. If Thompson beats MacDonald, he will have his day in court.

Any strong feelings on the main event? I've seen stuff on the two participants, but nothing on the actual matchup. I think a year ago, I doubt anyone would pick Wonderboy over MacDonald. Now, it seems like people are looking for a reason to write an obituary for Rory's career. I think this is a lot different matchup than the Ellenberger and Hendricks fights for Thompson. If this goes for any length of time, it could get interesting.

I'm hoping for a Rory win but these two have been heading in opposite directions in terms of career trajectory. It's weird because he lost one fight recently. But it was in one of the all-time championship fights and in that way, where it looked like he was broken physically and mentally by that last Lawler punch, it feels like he's lost 3 fights. 

One thing Rory won't do is rush into a head kick. He's pretty great at fighting from range.

• Like 1

Why did the prelims start with the very end of Markos vs Jones-Lybarger? Fight Pass fights went long?

21 minutes ago, AxB said:

Why did the prelims start with the very end of Markos vs Jones-Lybarger? Fight Pass fights went long?

I'm not sure how the show is formatted outside of North America, but the Fight Pass stuff was on time because they didn't take breaks between fights. However, the TV prelim fights and the main card are slated for the half hour mark and not the top of the hour. So it's possible that the folks in the UK and elsewhere are still watching whatever contests are happening at the top of the hour. That would explain why that fight bled over.