DVDVR Message Board

The Ariel Helwani Dramedy of Errors/Saga of Sympathy Thread

hammerva

24 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

But yeah, you can't cash a paycheck from your boss and expect them to not be upset if you aren't towing the company line.  Not saying it's fair, but that's business.  I love Stitch, but the UFC had no reason not to fire him when he was denouncing the Reebok deal.  The president doesn't owe him a phone call either in that case.  The top brass delegate such work.  

As I said, it's basically the job Josh Gross turned down 11 years ago and that's why. 

Also, you can see why Gross is pissed at all this coverage (based on his tweets). He has been on a rollercoaster of employment and didn't even get a single mention of support unless you count Jordan Breen's bitching (especially on the Beatdown After the Bell on Saturday when the Helwani story broke) as support. No one came to his aide and he was the one that didn't take a single dime from Zuffa.

Helwani can still have a career because he still has the connects. Gross crossing the UFC pretty much cost him his. No access to the UFC means that a lot of websites don't want to hire him.

Helwani did try to play and is playing the sympathy card. You can say what Zuffa did, but you have to wait until people want to talk to you to say what you did.

I wonder if being on zuffa payroll and covering ufc makes it any different than reporters who work for yes or nesn or sportsnet or masn and cover the teams owned by their respective networks.

8 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

I wonder if being on zuffa payroll and covering ufc makes it any different than reporters who work for yes or nesn or sportsnet or masn and cover the teams owned by their respective networks.

Not that I can see, but how many of those guys are willing to jeopardize their access? I mean Helwani's been around for awhile and most seasoned MMA journalists know what pisses the UFC off.

You're telling me that breaking news on big UFC fights 20 minutes before the UFC wants to do it doesn't piss them off? Also, you don't expect any retaliation? Come on, bruh.

1 minute ago, odessasteps said:

In this instance, i think both parties had faults.

Well, of course. However, we're talking about someone who wants to be the innocent little kid and playing it up knowing damn well what sets them off. This dude ain't no beat reporter for boxing in the 1940s. He was getting the inside track and now we know how he got it.

• Like 2

I can see both sides to UFC vs. Ariel Helwani. UFC’s pissed because they wanted to break the huge news Brock Lesnar’s fighting at UFC 200. Ariel’s a reporter and it’s a big story to get the drop on. There’s no need for a life ban or rather…Shortest. Life. Ban. Ever.

That's the part that I don't get Ariel reported it like 20 mins before UFC showed the video. Even thou Dana flat out lied to reporters earlier in the weekend when asked if Brock would be fighting. If the Dana/UFC doesn't go nuts no one would have remembered who reported this first, really most people won't anyone. Just to me seams like Dana/UFC wanting to have full control of everything in a day and age when that's not possible. 

11 hours ago, TheVileOne said:

But yeah, you can't cash a paycheck from your boss and expect them to not be upset if you aren't towing the company line.  Not saying it's fair, but that's business.  I love Stitch, but the UFC had no reason not to fire him when he was denouncing the Reebok deal.  The president doesn't owe him a phone call either in that case.  The top brass delegate such work.  

Uppity.  So very uppity.