DVDVR Message Board

[TV] JUNE 2016 TV DISCUSSION

RIPPA

My two most detestable are Cassidy (every time) and Robert Conrad.  But I have issues with Robert Conrad

Culp in his first episode, where he's the private eye, is particularly bad because his murder is so abusive.  He is blackmailing a woman and when she refuses to bend to his will he loses his shit like a domestic abuser and lashes out at her, killing her.  It's repugnant and visceral and there's something uncomfortably real about it for a Columbo.

But Cassidy just effortlessly oozes smarm because that's just how his face was made. 

ColumboNowYouSeeHimlitelighter-Copy.jpg

Robert Conrad in his is just scum.  Columbo hates him too.  Right from the beginning.

With the death today of Alving Toffler, someone on another forum made a nice summary post about the context of "Future Shock" that I think also works well as some background to that moment of the early 1970s that Columbo functioned in, the mixture of awe and paranoia about new technology and new ideas that forms the background of some of his cases at the end of the modernist era:

The 1970's were basically the triple point for optimism, anxiety, and pseudoscience. The oil shock and the ongoing reality of the Cold War were getting the message across that the future wasn't going to be Golden Age SF. But you still had this kind of OMNI Magazine optimistic cultural energy, sure that huge breakthroughs were just around the corner. Early PC hobbyist culture, solar energy, and other pretty much revolutionary technologies were in fact arriving. Now at the same time, the public awareness of and acceptance of fringe science, paranormal beliefs, the Bermuda Triangle, est seminars, Eastern religions of all descriptions, pop psychology etc was higher than ever. The idea that decent people are open minded about more or less any explanatory system whatever was growing.

What's the consensus on Shameless(US version)?  I just started watching it on Netflix last night and after a few espisodes it seems fun and the time goes by awfully quick.  I definitely like it so far.  If I look back a few pages, will I find a separate thread for it?

I managed to finish Sledge Hammer! before it fell off Hulu.  The second season isn't nearly as good as the first.  The stinger/cliffhanger/whatever is pretty sad (both from a dramatic-tension POV and a "fuck these people" POV). Strongly recommend the first season, lukewarm for the second.

11 hours ago, gatling said:

What's the consensus on Shameless(US version)?  I just started watching it on Netflix last night and after a few espisodes it seems fun and the time goes by awfully quick.  I definitely like it so far.  If I look back a few pages, will I find a separate thread for it?

I love it and followed it through several seasons, but not having Showtime anymore means I can't watch it unless I grab the DVDs. Saw some of the UK version and it was so brutal I didn't want to watch it. 

• Rev Ray unpinned and locked this topic