DVDVR Message Board

JUNE 2016 WRESTLING DISCUSSION THREAD

When I talked about my last WWE show in April 2016, I forgot to mention something. While you're waiting for the event to start, video packages are shown to promote the WWE Network. One video was a countdown show, which featured Raven in WCW. I chuckled aloud thinking about "Who the fuck put Raven in a video?"

• Like 6

10 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Stealing this from Sweetser's Facebook page but a good article for those who are interested in the technical side of WWE's production

http://www.sportsvideo.org/2016/06/07/wwe-embraces-ip-expands-footprint-with-new-trio-of-nep-trucks/

Interesting to note that they have gone completely tapeless now.

Oh shit ... if there are no longer tape machines running, how the fuck will we know what happened if the match ends during commercial??!?!

• Like 10

58 minutes ago, nate said:

Oh shit ... if there are no longer tape machines running, how the fuck will we know what happened if the match ends during commercial??!?!

Michael Cole will let us know what happened, for he knows all things that happens AS RAW ROLLS ON.

• Like 3

On 6/8/2016 at 4:57 PM, AxB said:

You know how the Dudleys have for years been doing a false finish off a Belly to Back Suplex (Bully)/ Neckbreaker (Devon) combination? Did anyone ever actually name that move? JR always used to mis-call it as the 3D even though it clearly wasn't that... I think it was called the Movement Buster in AJPW or NOAH.

I seem to recall that SOMETHING - maybe a video game - called it the 3D-B, but I don't have anything to back that up.

I wonder if WWE's contract with NBCU would prohibit them from broadcasting what happens during commercials as live cut-ins on The Network. So now you have not only these little Network exclusive moments in the archive, but you could (every once in a blue moon) end a match during the break. For example, a title changing hands during the break, in a finish you couldve ONLY seen live on the Network would probably get people talking and maybe grab any Raw viewer who was still on the fence about subscribing.

It's a little bit of a Bischoff move but it might be cool a couple times.

That seems like a good idea, in theory. But, doesn't every break end up in a rest hold and maybe one spot during break? I could be wrong. It's been ages since I've been to an episode of Raw. I think it was the '08 Slammy's that Dennis Miller hosted(?). I could be and am probably wrong. 

7 hours ago, Michael Sweetser said:

I seem to recall that SOMETHING - maybe a video game - called it the 3D-B, but I don't have anything to back that up.

The SVR games used to call the move "Deadly Drop 2".  The actual 3-D was Deadly Drop 1. 

It may have a different name now (in the games).  I haven't played a WWE game since SVR2006 and they seem to be more precise with move names now.

7 hours ago, Vader does my taxes! said:

The SVR games used to call the move "Deadly Drop 2".  The actual 3-D was Deadly Drop 1. 

It may have a different name now (in the games).  I haven't played a WWE game since SVR2006 and they seem to be more precise with move names now.

Joey Styles always called it a belly to back suplex with a neck breaker

8 minutes ago, DTTW said:

After seeing the reaction AJ Styles got, what are the odds that when Samoa Joe debuts on the main roster the crowds going to start a Joe chant of some sort?

There's gonna be a "Joe's Gonna Kill You" chant. 

On June 10, 2016 at 8:04 AM, PetrolCB said:

That seems like a good idea, in theory. But, doesn't every break end up in a rest hold and maybe one spot during break? I could be wrong. It's been ages since I've been to an episode of Raw. I think it was the '08 Slammy's that Dennis Miller hosted(?). I could be and am probably wrong. 

Nah, you're right. It is essentially like someone calls cut. My favorite commercial break I've ever seen live is a Sheamus/Randy Orton match where Orton realizes they went to commercial, asks someone at ringside for a water and then stands there and drinks it while Sheamus sits outside selling a throw into the barrier. The second the light goes red again, Orton tosses the water bottle and rushes outside to get Sheamus. 

Orton has some good commercial break antics. There was one time he got on the mic and complained about having to spend a night in Des Moines.

For most guys though it's "*Heel* has taken control can *face* get back in it as Raw rolls on?" -> Both guys lay on the floor -> Roll in -> Resthold -> "We're back live on Monday Night Raw and *heel* has been dominating throughout the break."

Isn't there footage of Orton laying on his back selling some move, and it's during commercial break, and the camera catches him blatantly asking if they were back on air, at which point he finally gets up and starts doing something?

Fuck, Orton is the worst.

• Like 1

On 6/11/2016 at 8:11 PM, Infinit said:

Dusty Rhodes passed a year ago today. 

RIP Dream.

I was just remembering that period of time where Dusty was using the Weaverlock, and part of the kayfabe behind the hold was how, after he used it to put a guy out, he then had to slap the opponent on the back to "wake them up" or else they'd face irreparable damage.  And that time he caught Tully, maybe Arn, in it and he was refusing to do the wake-up slap.  Refs, officials, announcers all going fucking crazy (as opposed to just doing the slap themselves).  My dad and I refer to it as "that time that Dusty Rhodes almost killed a Horseman".

• Like 2

12 hours ago, nate said:

I was just remembering that period of time where Dusty was using the Weaverlock, and part of the kayfabe behind the hold was how, after he used it to put a guy out, he then had to slap the opponent on the back to "wake them up" or else they'd face irreparable damage.  And that time he caught Tully, maybe Arn, in it and he was refusing to do the wake-up slap.  Refs, officials, announcers all going fucking crazy (as opposed to just doing the slap themselves).  My dad and I refer to it as "that time that Dusty Rhodes almost killed a Horseman".

My friend and I loved that angle. "Yeth, the Weevah Lock izzz a choke hold!!"

• Like 1

So Ziggler/Corbin is the preshow match for MITB

I guess they needed a new Kickoff feud since they couldn't run Kalisto/Ryback anymore

• Like 2