DVDVR Message Board

Best of Random 1989 AWA

Big Z

Here's a writeup I found from our very own Tabe on Wrestling Classics about this match and the full card of the event.

Took place in Kansas City on 2/2/89 - indoors. However, the weather outside was apparently abysmal - rainstorm or snowstorm, I'm not sure which - and only 300 fans were in attendance for a historic show. In addition to the tag match already mentioned, there was an All Japan tag title change - the only title change in All Japan history to take place outside of Japan.The full card courtesy of www.prowrestlinghistory.com:International BashFebruary 2, 1989 in Kansas City, KSMemorial Hall drawing 300Rick McCord beat Bobby Jaggers.Tiger Mask (Misawa) pinned Tommy Sharpe (8:47).Terry & Dory Funk, Jr. beat Doug Somers & Gary Young (10:28) when Terry forced Young to submit.Genichiro Tenryu pinned Bill Irwin (9:24).Akio Sato pinned Curtis Hughes (8:20).The British Bulldogs drew The Rock-n-Roll Express (30:00). Pat O'Conner was the special referee.Jumbo Tsuruta & Yoshiaki Yatsu beat Stan Hansen & Terry Gordy (16:36) to win the International Tag Title when Tsuruta pinned Gordy.WWA Champ Mike George beat Stevie Ray (10:47) via countout.

Some of that card besides the Bulldogs - R&R match aired in Japan.

Speaking of Mike George, his "timekeeper" gimmick in '89 was a sign that times were very bad for the promotion.

Destruction Crew promos from that time period are lots of fun, though. I'm of the mindset that Enos and Bloom could have done their Destruction Crew gimmick anytime from 1985-onward in the AWA and been successful. It would have been fun to see them against teams like The Rockers or Badd Company.