DVDVR Message Board

WWE BRAND SPLIT 2.0

Re: One World Champion for both brands.

Love it in theory. Reality is I don't see how it would work and make it feel organic. Is the champ mandated to bounce between brands each month for a different title defense? 

I prefer Seth Rollins being back to fight for the title because he and Reigns hate each other, and he feels he's the real champion since he never lost the title, as opposed to Seth Rollins is the top contender on Smackdown, and Reigns just beat a RAW guy, so now he gets a title shot.

1 hour ago, Charlie M. said:

I haven't read the thread yet but I bet they're going to use this as a way to split Big E off from the New Day.

They've been putting Xavier over more as a wrestler lately because I'm guessing they'll keep him and Kofi together.

Pretty sure if they split up New Day they are pants on head dumb.

• Like 10

Notes from the WOR breaking news audio

- Aggressive pursuit of talent to fill both rosters AND NXT especially to help with touring

- Guys who used to be "marginal" in the WWE's (in settings outside of the WWE) eyes just had their value go up (definitely in Japan, somewhat in Mexico and any US guy with a contract expiring)

- Most likely there will be Monday house shows again for Smackdown brand

- Almost virtual lock that Cena and Reigns will be the top two guys split between the shows

- "Probably will have 2 World Champions. That is at least the plan for right now" (Dave said this was the one thing that almost everyone in the company he talked to was positive would happen)

- Women's situation no one knows, hasn't been addressed (Dave stated he would be shocked if the women were only on one brand but anything could happen. If they are only one show - it will be RAW)

- US Title on one. IC Title on other

Dave went on a TNA/UFC Sale tangent so I will end this post and start another

• Like 2

TNA is trying to re-sign its top four guys (Hardys, Galloway and Lashley) but all have been holding off signing (this could be the reason why)

One guy has an offer from TNA for money that is WAY higher than you would expect but they haven't signed yet because they don't want to give TNA full control (TNA is trying to sign the top folks to long term exclusive deals)

At least half dozen guys that the WWE would now consider signing from TNA because they (WWE) need main roster talent

Does TNA move? Historically they get killed by the WWE

If Dave ran POP - would keep Impact where it is until at least Sept. Hope that these 2 million people watching Smackdown will switch to TNA for the 2nd hour and that would end up being a net gain from TNA (though most likely that wouldn't work)

Of course all of that is under the assumption that TNA gets sold

I was watching Kassius Ohno stuff from NXT and some of his more recent stuff in NOAH yesterday and was wondering what the odds were of Hero ever getting a second look by the WWE...

Anyone have thoughts on who some of top targets might actually be (aside from the top TNA guys Rippa listed, and presumably the Roode/Ibushi/Ricochet 'matter of time' category guys)?

Aw crap, they're going to poach (and duly misuse) Rush.

I was watching Kassius Ohno stuff from NXT and some of his more recent stuff in NOAH yesterday and was wondering what the odds were of Hero ever getting a second look by the WWE...

Anyone have thoughts on who some of top targets might actually be (aside from the top TNA guys Rippa listed, and presumably the Roode/Ibushi/Ricochet 'matter of time' category guys)?

They could anchor a tag division with Owens/Ohno for a couple of years.

• Like 1

I wouldn't want Ownes in a tag, he's got a lot more legs as a singles competitor in the upper midcard. Though, with a second world title we get the Mark Henry/Christian scenario of a world title being a participation award for guys like Owens/Zayn/Cesaro/Ambrose etc who could become Smackdown world champs.

8 minutes ago, Charlie M. said:

If you're really trying to get the women over as a draw and not treat them as a novelty, you should have Charlotte/Women's Champ be the #1 pick and have that title 'headline' the brand with Cena supporting as the US Champ.

That's great and all, but I can kind of see them leading with the women for the sole reason that, once it fails, it'd give Vince and Dunn the ammo to go back to a status quo they're more "comfortable" with.

Maybe I'm jaded though.

6 minutes ago, Matt D said:

That's great and all, but I can kind of see them leading with the women for the sole reason that, once it fails, it'd give Vince and Dunn the ammo to go back to a status quo they're more "comfortable" with.

Maybe I'm jaded though.

Of course, they'll never even give it a chance to fail. The only small hope is that Charlotte on a brand run by HHH would be as protected as probably any woman ever from those types of politics. I still don't really even see HHH being that open to it given how he still generally has Bayley below Balor in NXT even though she's clearly a much bigger star to that audience.

I like both moves. I'm kind of hoping they put most of the acts I like on Smackdown. They need to make new stars, and I think having two sets of main event talent is better. Guys like Rusev, Bray, Zayn, AJ, Cass and Enzo etc could really break out if given proper top level pushes.

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

- Almost virtual lock that Cena and Reigns will be the top two guys split between the show

This is the most discouraging note, imo.

I mean I know it's probably going to be the case anyway, but this just really hammers home the fact that it's going to be 2 current Raws, not current Raw plus a more flexible, experimental product.

3 minutes ago, Go2Sleep said:

This is the most discouraging note, imo.

I mean I know it's probably going to be the case anyway, but this just really hammers home the fact that it's going to be 2 current Raws, not current Raw plus a more flexible, experimental product.

Eh makes sense to have your two best big-match workers on different shows.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, caley said:

Eh makes sense to have your two best big-match workers on different shows.

I didn't see anything about which shows Zayn and Nakamura would be on... #kiddingnotkidding (edit, come on JCM!!)

On a more serious note, I'm not being obtuse, I get why they're doing it. Cena is the ultimate safety valve, and they see Roman as a future Cena-level guy. It's just disappointing since they work exactly the same and are booked exactly the same. The only real appeal to a brand split is uniqueness between the shows, but if both aces are essentially the same guy, it undermines that a lot.

26 minutes ago, Go2Sleep said:

I didn't see anything about which shows Zayn and Nakamura would be on... #kiddingnotkidding (edit, come on JCM!!)

Zayn and Sasha deserve to be in the conversation. Though Sasha has only had the chance to work one big match(which was a homerun) on the MR while Sami will need to be built up a little more. I'm really exited to see who will step up with new top of the card spots opening up.