DVDVR Message Board

WWE BRAND SPLIT 2.0

Will they draft announcers too? I want one where the announcers legit don't know which brands they're going to, and then Mauro gets picked up first. Just to see Cole and JBL get angry.

• Like 1

Hopefully they don't turn Graves into an annoying dipshit when he gets to the main roster. It's embarrassing how much better he is than Lawler and JBL even though he just started announcing like a year and a half ago.

I'd actually like to see them mix up the teams. Cole and Graves on SD, see if Mauro can make JBL tolerable on Raw since he isn't going anywhere unfortunately. Just keep Phillips as the backstage interviewer on whatever show New Day is on.

I don't think they need to split tag teams or groups this time around. They have so many guys coming up or returning from injury that things will feel fresh enough without that. There's so little to gain from splitting the Wyatts(again) or the New Day. Also, I feel like most of the other tag teams right now are more of a matching pair. People like the Usos and Primo/Epico and the Vaudevillians and the Lucha Dragons. Less like APA or even the Dudleys, who might work as separate acts. There's not really any upside to having Primo on one brand and Epico on the other or Jey on one and Jimmy on the other.

2 hours ago, Rev Ray said:

If they draft announcers, there is your last draft.  Byron.

They (Vince and company) thought it was really funny to draft JR to Smackdown for real live during the show with no warning. When him and Cole traded places and even Cole was like "I'm sorry, I had no idea this was happening" you could tell that was when JR finally was really like fuck this company. You know there will be some draft pick that will be done for the sole purpose of Vince's amusement.

2 hours ago, Matt D said:

I don't think they need to split tag teams or groups this time around. They have so many guys coming up or returning from injury that things will feel fresh enough without that. There's so little to gain from splitting the Wyatts(again) or the New Day. Also, I feel like most of the other tag teams right now are more of a matching pair. People like the Usos and Primo/Epico and the Vaudevillians and the Lucha Dragons. Less like APA or even the Dudleys, who might work as separate acts. There's not really any upside to having Primo on one brand and Epico on the other or Jey on one and Jimmy on the other.

I feel like they originally split up the tag teams via the draft in order to have an easy way to give those guys a push.  JBL and Bubba started out with pretty big singles pushes right after the draft, IIRC.  I think the New Day rule will apply to most tag teams or they'll conveniently be drafted on the same roster.  The latter makes sense kayfabe-wise, since most teams are probably viewed as better than their individual pieces.  If Shane drafts Aiden English, Stephanie's got no real motivation to pick up Gotch.  Ironically, however, I think New Day will probably be split up, with Big E getting a solo push on whatever roster he ends up on.  I'd also be fine with either Harper or Bray being the sole Wyatt on one show, with either Harper getting a slight repackage in the former scenario or taking over the Wyatts in the latter.

On Thursday, May 26, 2016 at 1:43 PM, Phantom Lord said:

Honestly, I'd love for them to give Triple H full run of control over Smackdown like he has of NXT and see what he can really do. Bring in his people (including production meaning no Kevin Dunn just to give it a different look all together). I know that's a pipe dream especially if "Vince is super excited" for the moment about all this. But if Triple H is going to get the keys someday, we might as well see what we can really do.

Not gonna happen.  Triple H doesn't like working on Tuesdays.

• Like 10

2 hours ago, JonnyLaw said:

I feel like they originally split up the tag teams via the draft in order to have an easy way to give those guys a push.  JBL and Bubba started out with pretty big singles pushes right after the draft, IIRC.  I think the New Day rule will apply to most tag teams or they'll conveniently be drafted on the same roster.  The latter makes sense kayfabe-wise, since most teams are probably viewed as better than their individual pieces.  If Shane drafts Aiden English, Stephanie's got no real motivation to pick up Gotch.  Ironically, however, I think New Day will probably be split up, with Big E getting a solo push on whatever roster he ends up on.  I'd also be fine with either Harper or Bray being the sole Wyatt on one show, with either Harper getting a slight repackage in the former scenario or taking over the Wyatts in the latter.

But that also ties to the same point. If there is a "better than the individual pieces" aspect to drafting the tag teams, that'd presumably lead to- if any team gets split by the draft, it'd be the Lucha Dragons. Since they bypassed " just a face jobber team" with the Kalisto US Title reign and went to "It is literally a plot point on WWE programming right now that Sin Cara is openly holding Kalisto back and he'd be a real contender in the singles ranks, if not for him feeling sorry for Sin Cara and being willing to be a tag team jobber so his friend can ride his coattails". 

With that in place, the Lucha Dragons would be a perfect fit to break up in the draft so you have an "OMG!" moment for the draft's split up that won't hurt the division as a whole...but also let the two split up in just amicable enough a fashion so that Kalisto can be a star and Sin Cara can politely go away forever.

On 27/05/2016 at 9:22 PM, Niners Fan in CT said:

If this was a shoot draft who would be your top 5 on your big board?

John Cena, AJ Styles, Sasha Banks, Shinsuke Nakamura and Cesaro.

Honourable mentions to Bayley, Kevin Owens and Sami Zayn

8 hours ago, Phantom Lord said:

They (Vince and company) thought it was really funny to draft JR to Smackdown for real live during the show with no warning. When him and Cole traded places and even Cole was like "I'm sorry, I had no idea this was happening" you could tell that was when JR finally was really like fuck this company. You know there will be some draft pick that will be done for the sole purpose of Vince's amusement.

BTW - tangent to this, Meltzer is saying that the plan right now is to not tell talent (outside the key players i.e. Cena) ahead of time again.

So yeah you they are going to breakup some real life couples because they think it is funny

2 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

BTW - tangent to this, Meltzer is saying that the plan right now is to not tell talent (outside the key players i.e. Cena) ahead of time again.

So yeah you they are going to breakup some real life couples because they think it is funny

Poor buggers. I remember Daniel Bryan talking about this in his autobiography and Chris Jericho in his second one.

I wonder if the brand split is why we haven't seen Bobby Roode show up in NXT, or Eric Young after his one-off with Joe.  It wouldn't make much since to put them on NXT now when the main rosters will need filling out.

I haven't watched in a few years, but is there anyone else left in TNA that would be worth poaching?  How are the Hardys looking these days?

2 hours ago, mattdangerously said:

I wonder if the brand split is why we haven't seen Bobby Roode show up in NXT, or Eric Young after his one-off with Joe.  It wouldn't make much since to put them on NXT now when the main rosters will need filling out.

I haven't watched in a few years, but is there anyone else left in TNA that would be worth poaching?  How are the Hardys looking these days?

Ethan Carter III is the first one that came to mind. There's Drew Galloway but he like Carter III were let go by the WWE. There's the Hardy Boys. However look at Adam's photo. James Storm went back to TNA from NXT. DreamBroken's the guy to ask.

• Like 1

Galloway and EC3 are the obvious ones to poach but Bobby Lashley would be a good pick too if they can lure him away from Bellator. I'd like to see Pepper Parks and Cherry Bomb get an NXT run too while we're at it.

5 hours ago, RIPPA said:

I hope Rusev and Lana make the most of the time left that they have on the road together.

• Like 1

They would sign Trevor Lee in a heartbeat

Galloway and EC3 are clearly on the radar already since they are now working with EVOLVE and both have previously been with the company and both left on good terms.

They clearly had an interest in James Storm but I am not sure how they feel about him now since he chose TNA over them (and his ally in the office Billy Gunn is gone)

I think they definitely would sign Lashley again

I am pretty sure Jeff Hardy is on Vince's Kurt Angle list

Eddie Edwards might get another look since it always seemed like Davey Richards was the one who did the bridge burning

I believe they tried to sign Mike Bennett before and the Bellas aren't around as much to keep Marie from returning

36 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

I think they definitely would sign Lashley again

Would they? He turns 40 in less than two months.  And Vince probably thinks they already resigned him ever since Apollo got called up.

• Like 5

On 5/25/2016 at 11:02 AM, Technico Support said:

If they're alternating "PPVs," how about the IC and US title are show-specific top belts and the guy with the belt at "PPV" time gets the world title shot?  Essentially, they would serve as "#1 contender" spots.  Instant credibility for titles that haven't had it in a long time.

Well it is only natural that WWE would steal ideas from Lucha Underground.