DVDVR Message Board

Game Horrors You Don't Ever Want To Put Yourself Through Ever Again.

J.T.

For about a decade now, I've had a rule where if a video game makes me angry, I stop playing the video game. There's a line between frustrated at my own failings, and angry at their decisions. I always make sure to analyze if what I'm feeling is that frustration or that anger before I stop, and if it's the anger, I stop.

This rule was enacted after my first attempt with the second "blow up the trash with bob-ombs" stage from Super Mario Galaxy and the three hour long desire to fight everyone in the world that followed until it was completed.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/5/2016 at 6:05 PM, roofiethebutcher said:

The drinking mini-game in Watch Dogs to get a platinum.  That took forever.

Oh, fuck the Drinking Game in Watch Dogs.  I participate long enough to unlock the Piledriver shotgun and I don't look back.

On 6/5/2016 at 5:55 PM, Raziel403 said:

As amusing as I find Zemos and listing to him call me a fucking philistine through his auto-tuning voice box, clearing out a Stronghold naked while tripping balls thus turning my aim to utter shit was not my idea of fun.

...shit, I call that Tuesday.

Every future sequence in the entire AC francise. I don't give a shit about Desmond, never did. Same goes for anyone of the goofballs since. While I'm ranting, Ubisoft in my dog house big time. I bought the gold version of Syndicate in late march, just before half of the codes expired. I was way into Witcher 3 at the time, so I put it aside for a while, not even looking at the package closely. Come mid may, the code(PS4) for the crimes pack has expired and they are like "tough shit". Yeah its my own damn fault, but just because the exclusivity expires, I can get it from the PS4 store for free anymore? BTW they are still selling that shit package on Amazon now. . . .

On 6/20/2016 at 8:22 PM, Kuetsar said:

Every future sequence in the entire AC francise. I don't give a shit about Desmond, never did. Same goes for anyone of the goofballs since. While I'm ranting, Ubisoft in my dog house big time. I bought the gold version of Syndicate in late march, just before half of the codes expired. I was way into Witcher 3 at the time, so I put it aside for a while, not even looking at the package closely. Come mid may, the code(PS4) for the crimes pack has expired and they are like "tough shit". Yeah its my own damn fault, but just because the exclusivity expires, I can get it from the PS4 store for free anymore? BTW they are still selling that shit package on Amazon now. . . .

I actually liked the Desmond sequences in AC franchise. Except for AC III. I already know.

And that's a dick move by Ubisoft. Have you contacted their Ubisoft support people who spent French and smell over the phone?

2 minutes ago, Andrew POE! said:

I actually liked the Desmond sequences in AC franchise. Except for AC III. I already know.

And that's a dick move by Ubisoft. Have you contacted their Ubisoft support people who spent French and smell over the phone?

Oh yeah, I went the round with them on email. They told me to fuck myself(in more polite language). . . 

Zero's mission.

Mirror's Edge's Shard mission was a piece of shit level design and embodied everything wrong with the first game. People complain about Catalyst not being like the first game have too much nostalgia and must have fucking forgot that while combat in Catalyst was prodding if you choose to spam heavy attacks(something the game tells you not to do and gives you the fucking answer key in how to defeat enemies btw), the first Mirror's Edge was absolute shit in terms of combat even when it gave you guns. Attacks never did shit and everything was situational. You had to counter and the Shard embodied those frustrations with characteristically frustrating level design. Like fuck.

On 6/5/2016 at 6:05 PM, roofiethebutcher said:

The drinking mini-game in Watch Dogs to get a platinum.  That took forever.

There was a mission in GTA3 I think where you had to get 3 cars to a warehouse without them being damaged in a certain amount of time.  Every single time I was on the last car some random NPC would come from nowhere and hit me.  By then I didn't have the time to get the car repaired and get to the warehouse.  So infuriating. 

Oh man.  GTA 3 had at least two timed mission because there was the one where you had to round up prostitutes for the policeman's ball, too. 

ANY timed mission in any game is absolute shit.  I'm now having awful flashbacks to the many timed missions in the PS2 GTA series.  GTA 5 tried to subvert this a little; they had a timed mission where you had to kill a certain number of people BUT you had plenty of time and it was super easy. 

45 minutes ago, Kyuubi said:

Mirror's Edge's Shard mission was a piece of shit level design and embodied everything wrong with the first game.

It wasn't and epic game horror, but the Pinnacle Station DLC exposed everything that was bad about the Mass Effect combat engine.

There is no way to one-shot the quest line unless your characters are high level and well equipped.  It really tests how much you really love the game, not terribly unlike the final boss battle in KOTOR where the Force powers you spent all campaign developing are more or less rendered useless by an enemy that is immune to nearly every Force power you throw at him.